Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

We haven't even seen Black Cat yet. Heh...they should get Tobey, Andrew, and Tom to do the clone saga =p

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think marvel is happy. They added another billion dollar movie to their relatively impressive streak of box office sucesses. And they still benefit from the profits generated from the IP outside of the actual box office gain. Spider-Man doing well, even in a Sony film, ultimately benefits marvel too.

There were no losers in the arrangement. It was win win all around. But yes, MCU ultimately didn't need Spider-Man. They managed to get him at the right time though, so it all worked out in the end.
    If that was true, Disney wouldn’t asked for 50%. If they were happy with the deal they wouldn’t wanted to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by anon_me View Post
    We haven't even seen Black Cat yet. Heh...they should get Tobey, Andrew, and Tom to do the clone saga =p
    Spider-Verse makes more sense for those to happen.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    If that was true, Disney wouldn’t asked for 50%. If they were happy with the deal they wouldn’t wanted to change it.
    They're a business. If they can get more, they will try and get more (though I'm reading in some places the number was 30%). Negotiations might not be over, so they could still end up getting more than what they previously were getting when all is said and done.
    Last edited by XPac; 08-23-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    This is fresh from yahoo dumping news ground.

https://news.yahoo.com/sony-thinks-b...204327983.html
    ''Sony thinks it can make billion-dollar Spider-Man movies without Marvel. It can’t''.

Blah, sony are the villians. whah, sony cant make a billion dollar spiderman movie even though the raimi movies would be billion dollars movies today and venom made 800m.

Are people still asking me to trust any kind of yahoo marvel movie review after this bs epic fail in journalism?

This is not bias, this is journalism embarrassment.
    Reviews aren't necessarily supposed to be unbiased. They're opinion pieces.

BANNED

They're a business. If they can get more, they will try and get more (though I'm reading in some places the number was 30%). Negotiations might not be over, so they could still end up getting more than what they previously were getting when all is said and done.
    Yeah, a business that agreed to sign a dumb contract and is now regretting it. While Sony is laughing all the way to the bank. Sony did none of the work, but was fully rewarded. Marvel Studios did all the work and basically got nothing.

Yeah, a business that agreed to sign a dumb contract and is now regretting it. While Sony is laughing all the way to the bank. Sony did none of the work, but was fully rewarded. Marvel Studios did all the work and basically got nothing.
    There's no question that Sony is happy with their first most sucessful movie of the franchise. The MCU definately delivered. Point being that Spider-Man is Marvels IP... the bigger that character gets, the more money they get too.

BANNED

There's no question that Sony is happy with their first most sucessful movie of the franchise. The MCU definately delivered. Point being that Spider-Man is Marvels IP... the bigger that character gets, the more money they get too.
    There’s no question that Disney is not happy with the deal. Sony owns all of Spider Man movie rights, so Disney is getting practically for the movies, but is doing all the work.

It's also not like Disney actually needs Spider-Man. I'm sure they would be happy to get whatever extra money from him being more "in-house" as opposed to strictly with Sony, but the MCU will be just fine whether he's there or not.

And we really don't know anything at this point. There's a lot of rumors, theories, etc floating around. Best to just wait until we have something more concrete before deciding who is right/wrong or who messed up.

There’s no question that Disney is not happy with the deal. Sony owns all of Spider Man movie rights, so Disney is getting practically for the movies, but is doing all the work.
    Yes but Sony is also doing all the financing.

This turned out to be a bad business deal for Disney. Sony took advantage of Disney narrow sighted for a universe. Sony saw that Disney was so hell-bent on a huge cinematic universe, they swooped in and profited off of Disney’s narrow sightedness. Disney stupidly let Sony profit off the MCU popularity and all Disney got was 5%, which was actually less than that, because Disney paid a fee to Sony when Spider-Man show up in CW, IW and EG.
    Sony thinking was let scrap TASM 3 , because Disney is stupidity going to let us in the poplar MCU and pay us when our property appears in does MCU movies.
    The irony is the MCU didn’t need Spider-Man and he was only a minor character, but Sony is laughing all the way to the bank.

Maybe Disney isn’t as smart as we thought.
    Disney got the Merchandising money so I'm sure they're happy and even made more than Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The bias to Marvel Studios far out weight the bias to others. why else does GOTG 2 as awful , silly and a forgettable part of the mcu can still get the same 84% RT likes as Batman Begins or Deadpool that were game changes in their own film series.

I have not read any thing on cbr but I feel sad that CBR is pro disney than neutral.
    I loved GOTG Vol. 2 being a game changer doesn't mean better. Oh I love the Deadpool films but both Blade and Punisher beat him to R rated films.

They got to use Spiderman for Civil War, Infinity War, and End Game. That alone I think made it worth it for them. Not that Spider-Man was needed, but getting him in the MCU was a big deal for the fans and for marvel. If this is all they get, they got enough.

And who knows... they might still come up with an arrangement that works for both parties. If not, but sides are better off because of what they had so no harm no foul.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Yes but Sony is also doing all the financing.
    And making all the profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Disney got the Merchandising money so I'm sure they're happy and even made more than Sony.
    How is Disney happy when they are the ones who wanted to change the deal?

Astonishing Member

The issue (for Disney) is that they could have spend time and effort producing their *own* <whatever> movie and making a lot more for it, than producing Spider-Man for Sony.

They still only have finite resources and talented people (and they didn't release anything near Spider-Man to make sure it was a hit as well)

Someone did the math and realized that if they can make Captain Marvel and Black Panther into billion dollar films, it would be a better investment for Feige and Co. to work on Squirrel Girl (or whatever) than to put resources into Spider Man 3. They wanted a bigger cut because they don't need spider-man anymore. However that cut may bigger than Sony figures it would lose than if they went at it alone. So maybe they are both victims of their own successes.