Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I don’t see a problem, Sony has every right to end this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    So there's no middle ground between 5% and 50%?

Somebody(ies) needs to go back to business school. Or, like, lay off the nose candy.
    Sony needs the win more than Five-soon-to-be-SEVEN-billion-dollar-films-in-a-year, Disney does. 5% of a billion is still more than 5/8ths of all of Sony's gross from non-Marvel movies last year.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    This has disaster written all over it....for Sony. Disney proved years ago that the MCU doesn’t need Spider-man. But I doubt we can still say the same for the other way around. The franchise has been rebooted too many times in too short of a time. Nobody is going to support another one.
    I can only hope that the two remaining MCU spidey films that Watts and Holland have committed to end things on a high note for this iteration of the character. Goddammit Sony.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In any case, that's twice now a Spider-Man movie series has ended with a hook for a planned third movie that will likely never be realized because corporates just couldn't play nice. Quite a shame, isn't it?
    Can't Sony Produce a Tom Holland movie on their own? They just can't use any of the Marvel/Avengers stuff.

I'm actually on Sony's side here, Marvel's the one who wanted to change the terms of the contract.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I can only hope that the two remaining MCU spidey films that Watts and Holland have committed to end things on a high note for this iteration of the character. Goddammit Sony.
    But they won't be MCU films. They are both signed for 2 more, but they will be full on Sony.

The news sources covering this are full of clear factual errors, so whoever the inside source is they don’t have all of the facts.

It seems as if Disney tried to push their side of the deal and Feige may have demanded too much. Not much more can be gleaned until a reliable media source gets some better answers.

Disney stand to loose on this, so there may be further negotiations, because it seems very short-sighted for Disney to try and broker a 50/50 deal for a property they don’t have control over and will automatically loose movie merchandise rights.

Also, why is everyone blaming Sony? Disney have messed up a perfectly workable arrangement.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    "Can" and "should" are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I don't like how this is been reported. Sony are made to look like the bad guys.

On the brutal side, Sony may also have realized that when they do the right thing, they still put out the best Spiderman movies without any help from Disney. I think Sony should take that and just be done with it.
    To be clear, you're talking about the Sam Rami/ Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films, right? And even then, just the first two? Because Spider-Man 3 and the two Amazing Spider-Man movies really showed how inept Sony was in making those movies, and that doesn't bode well for the character going forward.

That being said, there is really no reason other than greed why Disney suddenly wanted a 50/50 split, and I don't fault Sony from walking away.

Except they haven’t. They offered to maintain the current arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    But they won't be MCU films. They are both signed for 2 more, but they will be full on Sony.
    Nobody will care. They will have Marvel stamped at the beginning, they will be written, directed by the same people and acted in by the same cast.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-20-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Can't Sony Produce a Tom Holland movie on their own? They just can't use any of the Marvel/Avengers stuff.

I'm actually on Sony's side here, Marvel's the one who wanted to change the terms of the contract.
    When you're very good at your job, do you expect a raise?

BANNED

There was no good reason for Sony to continue this deal. They are not going to give half the money away.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Except they haven’t. They offered to maintain the current arrangements.

Nobody will care. They will have Marvel stamped at the beginning, they will be written, directed by the same people and acted in by the same cast.
    I don't know. A lot of the general public doesn't fully understand the shared universe. I'm sure there's people who think Batman and Spider-man exist the same one, but I think version of Spider-man was so well received with how he is tied to the MCU. I agree with someone who posted in another thread that said that the box office of FFH is actually lower than what it should be coming off Endgame. Over all media, I think Spider-man is Marvel's biggest character. Domestic BO should be another $100 million higher. That being said, the next movie not coming off the heels of Endgame and not having any ties to the MCU will not do as well as the 2 previous.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    When you're very good at your job, do you expect a raise?
    If I asked for a 50% raise, I'd likely be shown the door as well.

There was no good reason for Sony to continue this deal. They are not going to give half the money away.
    It all very strange. It seems like a stupid move for Marvel to play hardball over their most famous character. Sony could potentially have lost investors and seen a fall in their share price by negotiating such a one sided deal like this. Frankly I am skeptical that we actually have the real facts.

Half the news sources are saying Marvel own the merchandising rights, which isn’t true. Some of them are talking about Feige as if he is the sole executive producer and responsible for everything that went well at Sony, which is almost Marvel propaganda.

Let’s wait and see where the dust settles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It all very strange. It seems like a stupid move for Marvel to play hardball over their most famous character. Sony could potentially have lost investors and seen a fall in their share price by negotiating such a one sided deal like this. Frankly I am skeptical that we actually have the real facts.
    It's certainly possible that Marvel was expecting a counter-offer but their initial offering was so high that Sony was insulted.