Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    If you read the article I linked to, you might not believe that wholeheartedly.
    What is disney even doing with all that money?

Disney has finally lost it. they have been out of control this past year, hijacking academy awards, re-releasing avengers just to surpass avatar, blocking rt audience scores, telling lies about their revenues and now this? Disney doesn't even know who they are anymore. I think old Walter Disney is crying in his grave seeing what his company has become. Walt founded disney on heart, he was never interested in control, power and greed. The company in 2019 is just something else from walter disney's visions.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-22-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post

Disney has finally lost it. they have been out of control this past year, hijacking academy awards, re-releasing avengers just to surpass avatar, blocking rt audience score, telling lies about their revenues and now this? Disney doesn't even know who they are anymore. I think old Walter Disney is crying in his grave seeing what his company has become. Walt founded disney on heart, he was never interested in control, power and greed. The company in 2019 is just something else from walter disney's visions.
    I've notice that you've accused the MCU fans and the media of bias. Have you ever considered that you may have biases of your own? Pretty much everything you say has been exaggerated, taken out of context, misinterpreted, or just made up.

At no point do you address the article I linked to from a non Disney source a year before the Marvel-Sony split story happened. Perhaps you could actually respond to the statement instead of speculating on the reactions of a man who died over 50 years ago.

Stan lee's daughter cares more about heart and creativity than about money , control and power. good for her.
    Without getting into their family dirty laundry, I'm not certain JC siding with Sony really helps their arguement one bit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Without getting into their family dirty laundry, I'm not certain JC siding with Sony really helps their arguement one bit.
    She has inside information bout Disney, we don’t

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I don't side with any of the sleazy corporate business sides that are happening at Disney, or even Sony, but I do feel bad for the creative sides and actors that were really wanting to showcase something good in the MCU, but can't anymore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    She has inside information bout Disney, we don’t
    Or perhaps she has a more mercenary agenda.

If you are going to be skeptical about the allegations against her, shouldn't you also be skeptical of the allegations she makes?

Disney has finally lost it. they have been out of control this past year, hijacking academy awards, re-releasing avengers just to surpass avatar, blocking rt audience scores, telling lies about their revenues and now this? Disney doesn't even know who they are anymore. I think old Walter Disney is crying in his grave seeing what his company has become. Walt founded disney on heart, he was never interested in control, power and greed. The company in 2019 is just something else from walter disney's visions.
    Weeeell, Disney’s kids certainly portrayed him as being very much about control and power. And the corporate system does encourage greed.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I don't side with any of the sleazy corporate business sides that are happening at Disney, or even Sony, but I do feel bad for the creative sides and actors that were really wanting to showcase something good in the MCU, but can't anymore.
    Cool heads will prevail. If anything this media storm might make the relative boards sit up and take notice and force everyone to come together. The perfect antidote would be an announcement of a new MCU Spider-Man movie.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Extraordinary Member

Disney/Marvel figured that if they were going to do all the work (General Production, Casting and so forth) involved in making live action Spider Man movies blockbusters again, they had better get more than 5% of the profits to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Disney/Marvel figured that if they were going to do all the work (General Production, Casting and so forth) involved in making live action Spider Man movies blockbusters again, they had better get more than 5% of the profits to do it.
    They didn’t get 5% of the profits they got 100% of the merchandising. The 5% deal is for things like Venom.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Or perhaps she has a more mercenary agenda.

If you are going to be skeptical about the allegations against her, shouldn't you also be skeptical of the allegations she makes?
    I’m not skeptical about what she said about Disney, because there is no monetary gain for her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    They didn’t get 5% of the profits they got 100% of the merchandising. The 5% deal is for things like Venom.
    Have the terms of the Disney/Sony deal been verified? I've heard several different claim, many contradictory.

My understanding of the matter is:

1. Sony has the movie rights and live action TV rights
    2. Disney holds the animated TV rights
    3. Sony sold the merchandising rights in a separate deal in 2011 independent of the later shared deal from 2015
    4. Disney paid $30 million a year to use Spider-Man and any related characters in their movies. The $30 million was variable based on the performance of Homecoming and Far From Home
    5. Sony paid Marvel Studios the productions costs entirely, as well as the advertising and distribution costs
    6. Disney received 5% of the box office revenue that goes to the studios
    7. Kevin Feige normally gets a $5 million producer fee, but waived that for Homecoming and Far From Home. He also does uncredited and uncompensated advisory work for Sony's non MCU movies
    8. Sony has veto power over the story and characters of the Spider-Man MCU movies

If any of the above is inaccurate, can someone link to correct terms?

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I’m not skeptical about what she said about Disney, because there is no monetary gain for her.
    "Ignore everything that shows she's untrustworthy and duplicitous, she agrees with me on something!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Dude on twitter and all the big sites both Disney and Sony are getting trashed. Even on the MCU sub reddit people are mixed and that should be heavily slanted towards Disney. Don't speak for everyone.
    Did #BoycottDisney become a thing? Did Disney feel the need to fire up the PR front on Twitter in the wee hours of the night?

I was never speaking for everyone, I was speaking for the public's reaction. And it was, demonstrably, not in Sony's favor. That isn't a statement of the morality of that, merely a statement of fact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    By my reading of the situation both sides would end up bringing down the 2011 deal which is the foundational deal that everything else rests upon, meaning the merchandising rights would end up back at 50/50, and Disney would receive 5% of box office within unclear "specified limits".

In other words the happy merchandising arrangement that Iger was so proud of and said would be lucrative, would disappear along with the ability to exclusively leverage what the Marvel press release said was the $4 Billion franchise that was Spider-Man at the time.

I think this is what the unnamed source cited by Deadline was trying to say, but it got a bit garbled somehow. Just like every single news piece about the deal since the 2011 deal has got mangled by the press.

I don't for one minute think this will happen. Nobody would want that.

Many analysts believe Sony is only tentatively hanging onto their studio, and if they mess up either the James Bond deal or the MCU deal someone will swoop in and buy them at a reduced price because they would not be contributing to the corporation's bottom line. The emerging streaming platforms would love their back catalogue.

This may be part of why Marvel are playing hardball, if they actually are, because the Spider-Man rights, unlike the X-Men rights may not be transferable to future owners and could end up reverting to Marvel anyway. (This is speculation. Nobody seems to have seen the full details of the original deal. But Forbes seem pretty convinced.)
    I like this post and I agree with you. I think, in the end, both studios realize this is in their best interest to continue at some level.

I'm curious if you or anyone else knows....would this deal falling apart of an impact on the Spidey sequel on PS4?