Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Garfield was publicly fired as Spider-Man for speaking against Sony on more than one occasion and it was Sony Pictures parent company in Japan that told them to work with Marvel.
    There was pressure from all sorts that was benefiting Marvel. an unfair pressure because at that moment, it was the first time sony were dealing with a spiderman movie that did not cover the budget.The superficial obsession with cinematic universes was starting to build and all what you could here whenever a spiderman and xmen film was coming out post 2012 was when they will join the MCU, with that I think also came the bias we have now although back then it was more subtle how these folks were looking at the non MCU marvel movies. Sony never got the chance to pick themselves up, look how quick Spiderman was dragged into civil war, did not take 2 years after the last Garfield film.

Well at least now we know, so we don't have to wonder about what spiderman would be like in the MCU or how great would his movie be. They are not on the same class level as the Sam Raimi movies.meaning Sony does not have anything to loose anymore choosing to focus on their own Spiderman films with Peter Parker in it playing Spiderman as long as they get the right people as they did with spiderverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    There was pressure from all sorts that was benefiting Marvel. an unfair pressure because at that moment, it was the first time sony were dealing with a spiderman movie that did not cover the budget.The superficial obsession with cinematic universes was starting to build and all what you could here whenever a spiderman and xmen film was coming out post 2012 was when they will join the MCU, with that I think also came the bias we have now although back then it was more subtle how these folks were looking at the non MCU marvel movies. Sony never got the chance to pick themselves up, look how quick Spiderman was dragged into civil war, did not take 2 years after the last Garfield film.

Well at least now we know, so we don't have to wonder about what spiderman would be like in the MCU or how great would his movie be. They are not on the same class level as the Sam Raimi movies.meaning Sony does not have anything to loose anymore choosing to focus on their own Spiderman films with Peter Parker in it playing Spiderman as long as they get the right people as they did with spiderverse.
    3ajseo.jpg

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

All the good threads are disappearing. Spiderman writer gives his take on this situation. He is on Sony side, He thinks spiderverse is better than the mcu spiderman movies.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...sney-over-sony

''I’ve read a few articles about it, yes. I understand both sides. Disney wants what it wants, and obviously it’s used to acquiring and controlling. But I understand Sony’s point of view better: 'But wait, it’s ours. We own it. You can’t just have half of it. You can’t just take it.' So it’s a tough situation. And I think certainly the last couple of Spider-Man movies have been terrific. But the animated film that they did without Disney’s involvement was, you know, even more terrific. What’s weird to me is those Marvel movie fans who are quick to spring to Disney’s defense like they’re a plucky underdog who needs to be defended. [laughs] They are not a plucky underdog.''

Sony can just rest Spiderman and focus on spiderverse.everyone loves it. Try and do a Kingpin movie and Mobious. they can make all this villains movies and finally introduced spiderman taking on all of them in a Spiderman meets Batman Hush style. All I can hope for now is that the rumor of a new deal does not turn out to be true.

Sony can just rest Spiderman and focus on spiderverse.everyone loves it. Try and do a Kingpin movie and Mobious. they can make all this villains movies and finally introduced spiderman taking on all of them in a Spiderman meets Batman Hush style.
    That's not going to happen though, is it.

All I can hope for now is that the rumor of a new deal does not turn out to be true.
    New deal rumor?

(Probably won't happen, but still.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That's not going to happen though, is it.

New deal rumor?

(Probably won't happen, but still.)
    Marvel might not even want a new deal if there's a chance Sony Pictures ends up getting sold. If that happens, Marvel gets Spider-Man back for free. So they might wanna just wait and see what happens... IF nothing does, marvel can try again down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Marvel might not even want a new deal if there's a chance Sony Pictures ends up getting sold. If that happens, Marvel gets Spider-Man back for free. So they might wanna just wait and see what happens... IF nothing does, marvel can try again down the line.
    Very fair. Frankly, until the point that Marvel and Sony make a press release that they've made nice and fixed things, I'm assuming that any rumor of the deal coming back is just wishful thinking.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Into the Spiderverse just did not appeal to me at all. Utilizing that film in defense of Sony, and what they can do alone with Spider Man just makes the situation worse.

While I liked Spider-verse enough, I think the Venom movie IMO is a better indicator of what level of quality awaits Spider-Man when he returns to Sony. As we've seen with the Justice League animated movies vs the Justice League live action movie, doing one doesn't doesn't necessarily translate to doing the other. And while the Venom movie made money, I'm not sure anyone would say it was that great a movie. So yeah... based on Venom, I'm not as confident in Sony knocking a Spider-Man film out of the ballpark as I wish I were.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Into the Spiderverse just did not appeal to me at all. Utilizing that film in defense of Sony, and what they can do alone with Spider Man just makes the situation worse.
    I liked Spider-Verse an awful lot myself, but I agree that it's success is not a good argument that Sony can pull off the Holland movies without Marvel Studios; the animation department is separate from the live action one. As XPac noted, Venom is the acid test and if that is what Sony is batting these days, I have to agree with the Russo brothers that Sony is arrogant to think that they can replicate what Kevin Feige did for them.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I liked Spider-Verse an awful lot myself, but I agree that it's success is not a good argument that Sony can pull off the Holland movies without Marvel Studios; the animation department is separate from the live action one. As XPac noted, Venom is the acid test and if that is what Sony is batting these days, I have to agree with the Russo brothers that Sony is arrogant to think that they can replicate what Kevin Feige did for them.
    As a purely anecdotal example: my wife is a fan of the marvel movies. It's the only thing we pay to see in the theaters any more. She actively wants to buy the movies so she can watch them before bed. Her take on Spiderverse? Bored out of her mind. I really liked it, but she didn't. Holland and the MCU? She adores Tom Holland and couldn't wait to see Far from Home. She wouldn't be happy with less Holland/MCU and more spiderverse.

I would venture to bet there are quite a few people in her boat. (She also thought Venom was alright. But noted the only reason she probably liked it at all was Hardy)

We're on a comic book site but we forget most of the people driving the success of the MCU were not hardcore comic fans. The MCU has succeeded because it captured the attention of many people who wouldn't normally love comic book heroes. Now they do. Those same people have made it quite clear that whatever they're looking for to spend their money on is being given to them by Disney. Much more so than WB or Sony or any other production company. It is absolutely a dubious claim to think Sony can easily replicate that. Especially if Spiderverse is your go-to example.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    As a purely anecdotal example: my wife is a fan of the marvel movies. It's the only thing we pay to see in the theaters any more. She actively wants to buy the movies so she can watch them before bed. Her take on Spiderverse? Bored out of her mind. I really liked it, but she didn't. Holland and the MCU? She adores Tom Holland and couldn't wait to see Far from Home. She wouldn't be happy with less Holland/MCU and more spiderverse.

I would venture to bet there are quite a few people in her boat. (She also thought Venom was alright. But noted the only reason she probably liked it at all was Hardy)

We're on a comic book site but we forget most of the people driving the success of the MCU were not hardcore comic fans. The MCU has succeeded because it captured the attention of many people who wouldn't normally love comic book heroes. Now they do. Those same people have made it quite clear that whatever they're looking for to spend their money on is being given to them by Disney. Much more so than WB or Sony or any other production company. It is absolutely a dubious claim to think Sony can easily replicate that. Especially if Spiderverse is your go-to example.
    MCU has really done something pretty amazing... they took the geeky fringe comic book fandom and make it the most mainstream entertainment on the freaking planet. It's downright amazing how far the cool factor of comic book superheroes has come since the MCU blew up. Not that Fox and WB don't deserve some of the credit for helping to pave the way.... but they're still at the same spot to this day trying to string together more than 2-3 movies in a row which isn't considered a bomb for one reason or another. But MCU almost makes it look easy at this point.

I would say that I did like Spider-Verse better then the MCU Spider-Man movies. But, baring different tastes then other people, I think that one was geared more to comic book readers in terms of subject matter and tone. Not saying that it didn't appeal outside that demographic (Oscar-winner, after all), but I think it makes sense that not everyone who liked the MCU movies would also like that one as well.

I will agree that Hardy was the only truly good thing about Venom (and I don't think I'm alone in that opinion).

I agree we forget that we're hardly the main audience for this stuff. Will be interesting to see how Sony fairs going solo, given the MCU goodwill and all that.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

And just like that they worked out a temp deal for one more film

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Spider-Man saved for one more film
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...an-1203351489/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Well I'll be...