Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lol really? If this doesn't get worked out and He doesnt play spidey for Sony. I really do hope Marvel finds a way to give a role going forward.
    I mean he's contractually obligated to do it. So he'll do it. Just won't be happy about it maybe. Seemed like he really enjoyed being with the folks in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    I mean he's contractually obligated to do it. So he'll do it. Just won't be happy about it maybe. Seemed like he really enjoyed being with the folks in the MCU.
    Though Sony is in the right for denying a 50% cut for Marvel. PR wise they are the ones getting all the **** hurled at them. If then Tom Holland starts doing stuff that makes it seem like he doesnt want to do the movie. Like unfollowing Sony, then it might be smarter to cut ties and start over. I'd be willing to bet money they work this out though. Even if it's only for one more movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Tobey McGuire was in better Spiderman movies, Andrew Garfield was a better Spiderman. Andrew Garfield would be welcome back by fans I think most people realize he would do better if had better stuff to work with. Beside that is not point being able use the live action Spidermans one movie is the killer thing Avengers level thing that Sony can pull off now.
    You seem to come from an alternative emo-universe where Spider-Man movies about a moody dysfunctional Parker were embraced by fans. That’s not how I remember it. Garfield was ok as an actor, but the material of ASM2 was awful. I don’t want to see that portrayal ever again.

ASM2 wasn’t a flop, but based on its marketing budget it only broke even once it left the cinema. That’s terrible for the biggest superhero brand in the world.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-21-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Ultimate Member

What I'm thinking. I'll buy it when Marvel studios or Sont officially announce the partnership is done. Marvel thinking Sonys gonna go in 50/50 is ridiculous that has to be a highball opening bid. Marvel deliverd Sony theyre biggest movie ever. But instead of Money the fan in me wishes they woulda just asked for some Characters to use in the MCU. But yea this is business they deserve a raise. By 50% is ridiculous and if Marvel is really set at 50 and wont budge then Sony should walk. But maybe something like 10% sounds fair. With room to go up a little later if Marvel keeps giving Sony hits. Tom Hollands Spidey could go 6 movies easy maybe more. Hes young enough and the first two have ranked in the cash while also getting critical acclaim.

To add I will go see A Sony Spidey movie. I love these mvoies too much. Dark Phoenix was a rare one I didnt see in theaters and I would have seen it but it was in theaters in my town for 2weeks and then they pulled it.
    Agreed.

They'll probably keep negotiating although that 50/50 thing sounds a bit iffy and rather high.

But there's literally no way Disney will keep putting in the effort they are to make billion dollar movies for another studio and not expect something a little higher than 5%. At the end of the day, big business decisions are guided by the bottom line, Sony might eventually agree to a raise in the revenue sharing formula but probably not to 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

They'll probably keep negotiating although that 50/50 thing sounds a bit iffy and rather high.

But there's literally no way Disney will keep putting in the effort they are to make billion dollar movies for another studio and not expect something a little higher than 5%. At the end of the day, big business decisions are guided by the bottom line, Sony might eventually agree to a raise in the revenue sharing formula but probably not to 50%.
    Sony said Feige will not be a producer going forward and that the disagreement was over producer credits but they would go forward on the Path marvel studios set for them. And that things could change in the future.

So sounds like Spidey is really out but its not not a dond deal. And it was over producer credits.

Ultimate Member

Sony said Feige will not be a producer going forward and that the disagreement was over producer credits but they would go forward on the Path marvel studios set for them. And that things could change in the future.

So sounds like Spidey is really out but its not not a dond deal. And it was over producer credits.
    Wow, so it's actually happening.

Over producer credits? That sounds a little feeble?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

This 5% number is equally misreported. It is unclear if they are referring to the basic licensing deal that say Venom would fall under, of if they are referring to the gross flow of money from Sony to Disney. The current handshake between Sony and Disney over Spider-Man didn’t have a percentage agreement. It was based entirely on swapping merchandising rights for production input. And the old deal would have been higher that 5%. This is poor reporting or a badly informed insider and no fact checking.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Holland just unfollowed Sony related media accounts on his IG haha.
    I didn't see that coming but Holland can put a little pressure on Sony, I mean if he says he isn't playing Spiderman that kinda puts their plan in flux as well. They can call his bluff and full reboot the franchise but that will hurt them alot. Holland loses a lot by not being able to be future Avengers movies and other properties. I have seen people complaining they wanted to see Spiderman and Deadpool, Spiderman could pop up in Daredevil or even Punisher stuff in cameo it would be huge as well. I mean alot people have predicted a young avengers/champions hybrid with Spiderman, Stature, Kate Bishop, Shuri and others could be a thing. Holland has to be a little salty about losing out on those things and security of the MCU. If I was Holland agent I would bluff he isn't coming back.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This 5% number is equally misreported. It is unclear if they are referring to the basic licensing deal that say Venom would fall under, of if they are referring to the gross flow of money from Sony to Disney. The current handshake between Sony and Disney over Spider-Man didn’t have a percentage agreement. It was based entirely on swapping merchandising rights for production input. And the old deal would have been higher that 5%. This is poor reporting or a badly informed insider and no fact checking.
    Ah.. I see.

Though Sony is in the right for denying a 50% cut for Marvel. PR wise they are the ones getting all the **** hurled at them.
    You say it is PR wise, but just from a sensible point of view this is the dumbest decision they could make. Look through all the SPider-Man tied movies they have had in various stages of productions and tell me the additional $300-$400 Million it makes being a part of the MCU isn't the reason they are actually getting slammed by EVERYBODY.

Its the fact that Into the Spider-Verse was only so good becasue of the Creative Control the Directors had BECAUSE IT WAS ANIMATED. If Sony believe an Animated Spider-Man movie could actually do as well as it did, they would have been making moves like this one year ago. Leaving us with more "pre-production" Black Cat and Silver Sable films...Morbius...The Prowler.......oh, wait, Spider-Man has no really standout additional heros that are not also Spider somethings...and having a Spider-Man movie with Miles targeted for Black People and Hispanics, a preppy or even more punk rock Spider-Gwen, oh and Peter Parker of course...that doesn't sound like too many movies about Spider-based heroes does it? They don't all have the EXACT same powers and personalities...targeting obvious demographics won't rebound badly on them. No siree.

Add in the desperation of the release by Sony where they literally blame Disney, and that was the final nail in the coffin.

Odds are Feige would have give up percentage points for more long term character control and stability....Control and Stability, no wonder Sony cut bait to sink else where.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    You say it is PR wise, but just from a sensible point of view this is the dumbest decision they could make. Look through all the SPider-Man tied movies they have had in various stages of productions and tell me the additional $300-$400 Million it makes being a part of the MCU isn't the reason they are actually getting slammed by EVERYBODY.

Its the fact that Into the Spider-Verse was only so good becasue of the Creative Control the Directors had BECAUSE IT WAS ANIMATED. If Sony believe an Animated Spider-Man movie could actually do as well as it did, they would have been making moves like this one year ago. Leaving us with more "pre-production" Black Cat and Silver Sable films...Morbius...The Prowler.......oh, wait, Spider-Man has no really standout additional heros that are not also Spider somethings...and having a Spider-Man movie with Miles targeted for Black People and Hispanics, a preppy or even more punk rock Spider-Gwen, oh and Peter Parker of course...that doesn't sound like too many movies about Spider-based heroes does it? They don't all have the EXACT same powers and personalities...targeting obvious demographics won't rebound badly on them. No siree.

Add in the desperation of the release by Sony where they literally blame Disney, and that was the final nail in the coffin.

Odds are Feige would have give up percentage points for more long term character control and stability....Control and Stability, no wonder Sony cut bait to sink else where.
    Honestly, you are believing the hype train. This isn’t how things really are at all. This is a negotiation between two relatively cordial companies being spun as a huge disagreement. We do not know the real facts and what is being reported are not facts.

Here is an example of the crazy reporting that is going on.

Deadline broke this story. They clearly reported a 50/50 profit split and made that sound like a demand from Disney. They also reported Feige walking away from negotiations.

Now, despite trying to cling to their reputation and version of events they subtly shifted the claims and say that Disney were offering a 50/50 co-financing agreement. That’s not the same thing. It also transpires that Feige wasn’t even in the negotiations, so he couldn’t have walked out of them. His involvement was part of the dispute and it seems that in this proposed co-financing arrangement Feige may or may not have been involved and Sony would have preferred he was.

We need to wait for a more reputable news organisation to actually secure some decent facts and do more than report an unnamed Disney source before we can really work out what is going on.

Deadline say:

“But sources maintain that Feige’s exit was about money; it was about Disney seeking the 50/50 co-fi stake as the price for Marvel and Feige’s continued guiding hand that resulted in the delivery of Sony’s biggest grossing film ever.”

But fail to point out this isn’t how they originally reported it. Bad show Deadline.

Sometimes we need to take stock before we believe the Internet.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-21-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Honestly, you are believing the hype train. This isn’t how things really are at all. This is a negotiation between two relatively cordial companies being spun as a huge disagreement. We do not know the real facts and what is being reported are not facts.
    Not at all. I didn't fully react until after Sony released their statement where they blame Marvel for talks breaking down.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r_breakingnews

Even the tone of Sonys Press Release is that they are doing Kevin Feige a favor and he has too much on his plate. No mention of any other reason or even to confirm that Holland is out of the MCU, just laying the blame at Marvels feet without any more context, when multiple reports are that Sony wanted to keep the split 95/5% and when Marvel said what they wanted, talks just seemed to cease.

The only reason a Studio would do this is because they have their own plans, and whether they are good or not all the profit is there...even it is missing several Hundred Million. Feige wanted Long-Term Stability I am willing to bet. He needs to know where all the characters are in MCU, and having a character whose use, not their contract, but their use must be negotiated (especially when your company actually OWNs the character while the other company just leases it) and when the other studio does not want to enter into such a long term plan, where Feige might honestly not know if they have Spider-Man Available for Phase 5 going into and through Phase 6...I would want some god damned long term character control, and that 50% mark would be the starting potin on where to meet to make that happen.
    That would be MY biggest concern if I were Feige, the same storyteller who has been one of the lead producers in an EPIC and UNHEARD of streak of 23 Profitable movies, with really only 4-6 even being considered bad movies, if that, for a Global Box Office of over $26 Billion in 10 years. I mean, if I just got the X-Men and the FF, I of course want Spider-Man because of what he means, but I need to know that Sony isn't going to screw me and refuse to sign to a contract length that will go through the movies I have planned for him.
    I never knew the skew in the front was so HORRIBLE. Spider-Man in the MCU, just look at Box Office Numbers. ASM2 made just over $202M Domestic in 2014, just 3 years later (3 years to flip the franchise) Homecoming made $334M Domestic (The difference Internationally was actually negligible with ASM2 making $506M and HC making $545M). However, that $132M Domestic difference, and having Spider-Man in Infinity War and Endgame, with the 1st movie 3 months after Endgame for Far From Home $377M Domestic $732M International...all numbers provided by BoxOfficeMojo.com
    We could just compare the 1st and 2nd in each series, but this really comes down to Sony's greed over Marvels I would bet. Marvel is not exactly hurting for money and I would bet that if Feige could get Character Creative Control for the next 8 Movies, that they would settle for less than 20% because it would be good for both of them. Marvel to have their youngest freshest face under lock and key to lead things for the next decade or more if they can, and Sony COULD LEARN FRANCHISE BUILDING through the partnership.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    Not at all. I didn't fully react until after Sony released their statement where they blame Marvel for talks breaking down.
    Sony don’t say either of those two things. They don’t claim negotiations have closed and they don’t blame Marvel for anything.

This is all entirely based on misreporting. See my cross post.

Let’s not take sides between two huge corporations maybe?

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

It's a good job I don't care about comic book movies anymore!

But I will say Marvel should have known something like this would happen, with most of their big hitters gone from Endgame to lose Spidey too they've got some work to do again.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.