Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    They did not buy fox to survive they bought it to dominate. Nearly a third of the releases this year were from Disny owned properties. They are by far the most eagerly awaited streaming service coming. Pretty much any parent who can afford it will get it.Hollywood is being threatened and if Disney was just hollywood it would be a bigger concern. They are movie, tv, music, sports, publishing, real estate, etc. they are a diverse company who can take a hit here and cover it there. They might have a few bad statements but the doom you seem to be predicting is a long ways off.
    Hollywood hasn't dominated anything for decades, they lost control of how people consume entertainment when VHS went mainstream and it's only been getting worse for the studios ever since. Honestly, even the creation of Disney+ is a concession of defeat on the part of Disney, when they'd much rather maintain their monopoly on the over-priced (and obsolete) theatre model. Disney risked everything to acquire Fox and Comcast just played them for chumps, causing Disney to borrow heavily and pay far more for Fox then they would have otherwise. Because what you call 'domination' is the beginning of the end for Disney, they expanded too much and too quickly - now comes the implosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Hollywood hasn't dominated anything for decades, they lost control of how people consume entertainment when VHS went mainstream and it's only been getting worse for the studios ever since. Honestly, even the creation of Disney+ is a concession of defeat on the part of Disney, when they'd much rather maintain their monopoly on the over-priced (and obsolete) theatre model.
    This is the same narrative we heard when Napster killed CDs. The music industry never died ... it never even struggled. They just updated their distribution model and ironically became even more profitable. Did they sue like crazy before doing that? Of course. There's always the knee jerk reaction when technology makes something obsolete and companies resist the change while they can to maximize profits. But the industry didn't suffer or disappear. We simply buy single songs instead of albums.

The entertainment industry isn't suffering. The movie industry is actually growing. The delivery medium is just changing, just like CDs did before it, because we can easily stream what used to be impossible. Just because we stream Frozen 3 from Disney+ instead of buying a CD doesn't mean Disney is losing money. On the contrary, we are paying a subscription now for limited access. They are going to make that purchase price every month from the mom who keeps her sub solely because its the only way to keep her kids quiet on the car ride. Instead of the occasional $15 purchase form each movie release a year they get her to pay $10 per month reliably. The delivery medium is all that's changed. The industry hasn't.

Extraordinary Member

I think it should be pointed out that a lot of grief over the failing theater industry comes from the fact that while a lot of important Hollywood folks love money, many if them are also just normal film geeks who just don't want theaters to stop existing because, well, there's something cool about seeing something in a theater.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think it should be pointed out that a lot of grief over the failing theater industry comes from the fact that while a lot of important Hollywood folks love money, many if them are also just normal film geeks who just don't want theaters to stop existing because, well, there's something cool about seeing something in a theater.
    Somehow I doubt that sentimentality factored into the business decisions. Disney is a company with a reputation for cynically exploiting it's acquired IOS. Even Disney's classic animated are all from public domain IPs, cheaper that way. So no, the only reason that Disney fought to maintain theatres for so long is because they beleived they had a captive audeince. I'm glad that Disney is failing now, it seems that even Sony couldn't stand doing business with them anymore.

I don't think Disney is in danger of going bankrupt anytime soon. (But I wouldn't say it's an impossibility). However they're probably doing a significant amount worse than most people thought.

I do think they need to shape up soon if they don't want things to spiral even further out of control.

When X-Men and FF were banned from media for several years, it didn't affect Spidey in any way.

Fantastic Member

I be okay with more daredevil punisher moon knight and luke cage stories instead of spidey ones

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Disney is always going to make money from Spider-Man merchandise, unlike the FoX-Men and Foxtastic Four. Nothing will happen to Spidey and Feige will just focus on properties they own and not ones they have to constantly negotiate with. Enter the Eternals and Shang-Chi.

BANNED

Exit spider-man
    Enter night-monkey

Extraordinary Member

Somehow I doubt that sentimentality factored into the business decisions. Disney is a company with a reputation for cynically exploiting it's acquired IOS. Even Disney's classic animated are all from public domain IPs, cheaper that way. So no, the only reason that Disney fought to maintain theatres for so long is because they beleived they had a captive audeince. I'm glad that Disney is failing now, it seems that even Sony couldn't stand doing business with them anymore.
    I meant this more in a general sense. Plus, a lot of directors and producers are still trying to find their footing and there's some internal debate on how different films made for streaming should be compared to films gor theatrical release.

Hollywood hasn't dominated anything for decades, they lost control of how people consume entertainment when VHS went mainstream and it's only been getting worse for the studios ever since. Honestly, even the creation of Disney+ is a concession of defeat on the part of Disney, when they'd much rather maintain their monopoly on the over-priced (and obsolete) theatre model. Disney risked everything to acquire Fox and Comcast just played them for chumps, causing Disney to borrow heavily and pay far more for Fox then they would have otherwise. Because what you call 'domination' is the beginning of the end for Disney, they expanded too much and too quickly - now comes the implosion.
    Who do you think made the vhs and DVDs. what you call a loss was an added revenue stream. As are streaming service it is another source of revenue. Which is why AT&T and Comcast are also launching their own. I guarantee you Disney will be here long after we are both gone. They will take a few lumps in the next few moths but the closed sign will stay in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Theaters are not going away anytime soon. There is still money to be made. That is why there is investment in them to make it a different experience. IMAX, 4-D, dine in theaters etc. People will still go out for some movies and will for a while yet. It is the smaller movies that are getting pushed out. People will wait for streaming for those.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Who do you think made the vhs and DVDs. what you call a loss was an added revenue stream. As are streaming service it is another source of revenue. Which is why AT&T and Comcast are also launching their own. I guarantee you Disney will be here long after we are both gone. They will take a few lumps in the next few moths but the closed sign will stay in the closet.
    Actually VHS was developed by JVC, while DVD was developed (in part) by Sony - Japanese tech giants and not Hollywood studios. This is how Disney lost control of the entertainment industry, every physical copy sold gives a cut to more powerful companies outside the Hollywood system. Furthermore, Disney simply doesn't have the infrastructure or know-how to develop a streaming platform themselves. Inevitable this means Silicon Valley companies like Amazon or Microsoft are being paid billions to develop and maintain Disney+, again this is a loss of control for Disney. The world has changed and Disney needs to realise they can't compete in this digital age.