Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dc 2004-2019

Mighty Member

Default Dc 2004-2019

So, lets recap...Prior to Dan Didio taking over we had Jeanette Kahn as publisher. So during the 1970s through 2004, we had the Teen Titans come into their own, Superman had proposed to Lois Lane and gotten married, died and came back. Batman had Knightfall, and other good storylines. Other titles like Aquaman and Flash had former Teen Titans Aqualad and Wally Kid Flash grow into their own as Tempest and Flash, Roy Harper became Arsenal and Red Arrow. We even had another Speedy and Green Arrow was doing good. Kahn seemed like someone who respected the fans and allowed decent material to flourish. Didio takes over in 2004. 2011 we had Flashpoint and New 52 which, did we really need that? It erased character histories and in other instances put them on ice, introducing a Wally West 2.0. Then 2016, Rebirth happens, Geoff Johns has this grand vision of hope brings back Wally West and the pre-Flashpoint memories are back with characters. The Geoff Johns leaves for some mysterious reason, but is still as of today, in control of Shazam. Then whatever vision he had gets tossed. Wally becomes a murderer and put in jail, Garth gets taken out of a bar drunk during Heroes in Crisis, is last seen in Aquaman 30 and hasn't been seen since, Batman's upcoming marriage is a red herring. Roy Harper is killed. Mia Dearden is written out. Green Arrow is ended at issue 50. From what I read the writer had some plans for GA that got derailed because of Event Leviathon which it seemed he didn't agree with. Superman and Lois have a son! Great! Happy couple! Oh wait...Supes family gets broken up, he lets his son get taken away and aged up to 17. Oy vey, what a mess. On top of that Didio mocks Nightwing fans on Twitter. Nice guy. Brian Michael Bendis at Marvel ran roughshod and unchecked replaced the legacy heroes with inferior replacements and apparently brought some toxic people with him at Marvel. Then DD hires this guy to take over Superman at DC, doing the same damage that he did at Marvel. The near future does not look good. The only silver lining in this is that with the new acquisition hopefully someone can clean house with editorial appointing writers and staff who want to use these characters and listen to fans. Didio is 65. I can't think he wouldn't last much longer.

Incredible Member

Or we had the DC explosion and immediate implosion followed by plans floated to sell the company to Marvel before opting for one last throw of the dice which worked.

You can spin it many ways

The internet wasn't as big a thing when Kahn was around. You can bet if it was things like killing off Barry Allen and making Hal Jordan evil would have received just as much hate and vitriol as anything seen at DC at the moment.

Everything looks better with nostalgia goggles. You can filter the bad and recognize the good. Given time, people will look at the current era with those same goggles due to things like Morrison's Batman, Johns' Green Lantern, etc.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

I can't speak to the response to Crisis, but as for Hal going bad, the internet was a thing back then. Emerald Twilight and its fallout received plenty of hate and vitriol. So did the JSA's treatment during Zero Hour.

And despite that, DC got more than half the votes in the category of "Favorite Publisher" in that year's Squiddy Awards. Milestone was treated as a separate publisher, and came in 4th place in the voting, still ahead of Marvel, Image, and most other companies. DC did even better the following year, when the category was changed to "Company/Imprint". DC still came in first by a large margin, despite losing enough votes to put Vertigo in second place, while Milestone again took fourth place. Marvel literally didn't get a single vote that year.

Is there anything like the Squiddies today? How do you think DC would do if a poll like that were held on these forums? I doubt they'd get over half the votes like they did in 94 and 95. What percentage of the votes do you think they would get?
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Spectacular Member

That is why I set the rule to only get stories that fit the characters I know. Saves alot of time in getting junk that doesn't make sence.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Can you imagine the whole "murder by phone" stunt with Robin (Jason Todd) in the Internet era?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The internet wasn't as big a thing when Kahn was around. You can bet if it was things like killing off Barry Allen and making Hal Jordan evil would have received just as much hate and vitriol as anything seen at DC at the moment
    The destruction of the pre-COIE multiverse would have made the introduction of the New 52 look tame regarding fan criticism had there been an accessible Internet at the time.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Long Live the Legion! Paul Newell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Can you imagine the whole "murder by phone" stunt with Robin (Jason Todd) in the Internet era?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    We see it every day now, Buried.
    DRINK!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The internet wasn't as big a thing when Kahn was around. You can bet if it was things like killing off Barry Allen and making Hal Jordan evil would have received just as much hate and vitriol as anything seen at DC at the moment.
    The early internet actually was absolutely responsible for HEAT (the pro-Hal fans who felt he got screwed by DC).

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Didio is 65. I can't think he wouldn't last much longer.
    Except Didio has during this time put in his loyalists at DC. Even if he is gone, his people will be there to carry on his policies and ideas. And frankly Didio won't leave until he wants to, the people at the top let him do what he wants because he keeps everything within the publishing unit in running order and doesn't make waves. He is a reliable company man to them.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-22-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The early internet actually was absolutely responsible for HEAT (the pro-Hal fans who felt he got screwed by DC).

Except Didio has during this time put in his loyalists at DC. Even if he is gone, his people will be there to carry on his policies and ideas. And frankly Didio won't leave until he wants to, the people at the top let him do what he wants because he keeps everything within the publishing unit in running order and doesn't make waves. He is a reliable company man to them.
    Then, by that logic, Kahn made a mistake not putting her people in. At least under her characters were put to the sidelines or propped up at the expense of other characters. And the loyalists to Didio? Please. They're just afraid to lose their jobs. What can he doing being retired? Phone call DC to fire if they don't publish according to his wants and preferences? He's not Trump.

When DC gave up continuity in the New 52, I gave up with DC Comics. I thought we were going to get some of the spark we had pre-Flashpoint with Rebirth, but it seems like DC is just falling back into the same bad habits. I can't really comment on Didio, but bad writing has been partly to blame.

Mighty Member

basically this is the Post Crisis version that existed since 1986. Except the nightmare version were beloved characters are amnesiacs, dead or murderers.

And I every time I see a thread like this, I'm glad I stopped collecting comics over 15 years ago. I'm happily rereading my old collection, and filling in gaps of things like Perez's Wonder Woman and Justice League International, because those are the most recent DC comics I'm interested in buying.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Mighty Member

The thing that a good publisher does is LISTEN TO FANS. Fans are the ones who buy the books. Obviously, listen within reason. Right now people are screaming for Ric to become Dick again, Wally to be revived, Roy to be returned Superman and Lois to be a family with a 10 year old Jonathan. Mocking fans on Twitter, ignoring their "Where's Wally?" questions, saying that you're glad that no one applauded when asking if they read facsimile editions is a big FU to fans. Dan Idiot might as well be holding up his 2 middle fingers. Tim Drakes new costume on a second look, looks like the color of excrement. Like THAT doesn't show bias. You pander to your own bias fans will not buy. They already are not buying. Geoff Johns might not be a perfect writer but at least he shows more love to characters and legacy than Scorched earth Dan does. I find it very curious that he was forced out so quickly right after the Rebirth event. Amazing how in 2 years, everything was undone. Maybe that's why he's holding on to Shazam as if to say "You derailed me during Rebirth but you're not touching the Shazam family."

Mighty Member

and now Shazam 7 and 8 are being delayed till September and October when they were supposed to come out in June and July. Yeah definitely something going on with Johns and Didio