Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Doomsday Clock - Does anyone still care?

When this series launched my initial reaction was "Another unnecessary addition to Watchman, sigh". Then I started reading it an i thought "This is pretty good!". Now I saw an article on CBR and thought "Oh crap, I forgot all about that. Is it cancelled? Who the hell cares any more?"

George RR Martin has nothing on Johns & Frank. Such blatant disregard for the audience makes me wonder why I should buy a single new issue.

1. Considering how detailed the series is in both story and art, DC made a mistake in beginning publication too soon. They should have waited until at least six issues were in the can before soliciting the first one.

2. My inner conspiracy theorist believes that someone higher up is ‘okay’ with the delays because it allows other projects to get priority and news buzz.

3. It’s almost over. Once it’s done with and collected, it may not matter any more, but then nothing in the last 25 years has really mattered six months after they were released. Likely won’t change now.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

No interest when it was announced. Picked up the first issue out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. I decided to trade wait it. The delays have had no impact on my anticipation.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Doomsday Clock was the most interesting story from DC in years for me. I enjoy it.

After the first couple of issues . . . meh.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Of course I care. It's one of the best books DC's put out in a dog's age. A year or two after the series ends nobody's going to remember the book for its tardiness; then it will be judged according to how good it was.

I much prefer a great (but horribly late) book to one that's less great but is on time.

Extraordinary Member

It's consistently the best book that DC is putting out. Its better than almost anything on the stands. The delays are frustrating, but I think I heard that Frank said that the delays weren't on him or Johns.

It's so good even though the delays are terrible they don't bother me much. I binge so much different stuff and prefer it most of the time but this work actually benefits from a lil breathing time. Just wish it was lil less breathing time.

Empty is thy hand!

The Watchmen aping has been mediocre and apparently the continuity stuff that everybody cares about has been sidelined. I'm glad I never got invested in it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It's always at the top of the pile whenever the next issue drops and, thus far, it's been worth the wait. This story isn't meant to be the usual comic book event. It's supposed to be an evergreen story that will be read and reread over and over again for decades, much like Watchmen is. Given how big a task it is to try to craft a follow up to a story that important, revered, and influential, I don't blame Johns & Frank for taking their time to make sure everything is perfect.

Add onto that Johns's no doubt extremely busy schedule and Frank's meticulous pace, that means that this book will be experiencing massive delays. It sucks, but I'd rather they take their time and get it right, then simply rush out something that's less than it could be.

The upside is that the delays in Doomsday Clock have allowed DC to stop worrying about continuity, because it's been established that history is broken, which means everything is up for grabs. That's led to some fun stories. There's been some duds, yes, but I've been enjoying a lot of comics from DC recently.

Nope. Not one bit. It’s embarrassing how late this story has been.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Do I still care about the impact it has to the DC Universe? No. Clearly DC has chosen to disregard the series in that regard due to it's lateness.

Do I still care about a great comic that's consistently the best book on the stands when it actually does come out? Heck yeah I do.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”
    ― Shigeru Miyamoto

Substitute game for book and it succinctly shows my attitude. So yeah, I'm still interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    but then nothing in the last 25 years has really mattered six months after they were released. Likely won’t change now.
    That's one of the things about comics that annoys me the most...

Obviously the delays have been embarrassing and frustrating. And we don't have a handle on the real reasons for the majority of those delays. Was it editorial revamping due to changing overall DCUniversal plot points? Was it Johns or Frank needing more time? A mix of both seems to be a natural conclusion to make. But the threads about DClock delays and theories are common.

As to how I feel at this point? I'm still interested. It's a valid and interesting story to me despite many questions. The franchises being held hostage by the story's conclusion are two of my favorites so my fanboy personality is hooked. Still, it's an interesting story and one I want to see finished. With the pop culture relevance of Watchmen, it leads me to believe that the story will finish and DC will hope to get an evergreen collected product. What DClock has to do with the current shifting continuity miasm of DC Comics remains unknown.