Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The delays have been very frustrating to wait through for each piece of the story so far. However, given its ties to so much of the DCU moving forward, I am still interested in seeing it through to its conclusion. It's been a great read, well put together. i will definitely get the trade when it is all done, too.

I haven't read it. I am not into the concepts of Watchmen, and would only care for DC material, and how it affects our world. I might read in TPB, if I like the ending. So, for me the question on whether I care is whether it makes an impact. We were told it would. But if the delays mean that it doesn't meaningfully change the world because Johns' position has changed or DC has otherwise changed ideas since publishing became, then it doesn't matter to me. If we can bring hope back and "fix" the bleaker nature of the universe, then that's great. I'd love a long-term change from the grimmmer/grittier and less heroic heroes that's been going on for the last 20 years of comics, but that's ...extremely unlikely. I'm not looking for silver age, here. But not having your heroes blackmail, torture, or brainwash is not that high a bar. Toss in them not treating their families and allies like crap and especially not killing off or erasing their families, and we're golden.

I would prefer if all comics were crafted this way, less about hitting deadlines and more about producing good work. No fill-in artists or other rubbish.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

I care for Doomsday Clock, even if DC and everyone else doesn't I just want to see how Geoff JOhns will pull this one off and try to restore something that Flashpoint/new 52 messed up.

Astonishing Member

I must admit my interest has waned. I love Geoff and Frank is a very good artist but I was always lukewarm on the Watchmen stuff. The reason for my excitement over DClock was the return of two of my favorite DC properties the LSH and the JSA, however due to political intrigue lateness or whatever those "debuts" have been shifted to other writers, Bendis' Superman for the LSH and Snyder's JLA for the JSA. Wally's story is being done if Flash Forward so not really sure what there is to be done in DClock that I really care about.

I'm not buying this book. I only glance through the threads and the occasional issue in my comic book shop to see if / what is being done with returning the JSA (and in what form) to continuity.

That being said,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    1. Considering how detailed the series is in both story and art, DC made a mistake in beginning publication too soon. They should have waited until at least six issues were in the can before soliciting the first one.
    Disagree with having the book halfway finished before releasing the first issue. In this modern day and age, with the internet providing almost instant feedback to companies, the comic books can no longer be done quite that way if it turns out major revisions are needed before the next issue or two is released. (Now, having maybe two issues done and work halfway done on the third might have been more reasonable.)

2. My inner conspiracy theorist believes that someone higher up is ‘okay’ with the delays because it allows other projects to get priority and news buzz.
    It's way too easy for people to blindly blame the artist for delays since that's the portion of the book that is the most labor-intensive and can take the longest time if it's done right. And Geoff Johns also has had problems getting his books out on time in the past. You can also throw in the fact that this is not your standard +/-20 page story each month.
    But the way DC kept doing the weekly bumps to the release dates as well as other factors seriously makes it appear that some of the delays are outside the writer's and artist's control.

3. It’s almost over. Once it’s done with and collected, it may not matter any more, but then nothing in the last 25 years has really mattered six months after they were released. Likely won’t change now.
    Don't quite agree with the "nothing in the last 25 years" part, but once this book has been collected and people first discover the tpb editions (as opposed to just the slow drag of irregular single issues), opinions may change about the overall story and its accomplishments.

I care about this book in the same way I cared about this book when it was first announced -- sounds like a fun read once it has been completed and I can sit down to read the whole thing. It's just going to take quite a bit longer to get to that point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I would prefer if all comics were crafted this way, less about hitting deadlines and more about producing good work. No fill-in artists or other rubbish.
    While I do prefer punctual books, abrupt creative team changes I find damn near unforgivable. I can easily forgive late books by comparison.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Spectacular Member

My conspiracy theory brain is saying after the internal shakeup at DC with Geoff Johns being demoted or whatever actually happened, that his stuff is purposefully getting the shaft in some way. At this point there's no reason for him or Gary Frank to just finish the rest and then release it when its ready, or be more up front about why his stuff is late or when it will ACTUALLY come out, see Shazam. I have a feeling the release dates are purposefully being manipulated by other DC folks and its out of their hands. Possibly resulting from bad blood when Johns had more say than now, over people who now have the upper hand.

Either way I like this made-up story more than a lot of the issues being published

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

When this was first anounced I was excited because this was supposed to be the event that reshaped the DC. Then Johns gets demoted and Bendis and his ilk come in and take over. Whatever the original plan was for Rebirth and Doomsday Clock is gone and has been replaced by what guy like Bendis have planned. Bendis set the tone at Marvel for a decade and it drove me away from Marvel comics, and now he is starting to do the same thing at DC and just like at Marvel my interest in DC has dropped off more and more.

I will pick up Doomsday Clock when it comes on in trades, but the original excitment I had is long gone.

Nope. Completely ignoring this series now. I was excited for the idea of a merger between Watchment universe and DC universe since Rebirth launched.

Now I do not care at all.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

It's the best thing Johns has done, maybe ever, so yeah, I definitely care.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    When this was first anounced I was excited because this was supposed to be the event that reshaped the DC. Then Johns gets demoted and Bendis and his ilk come in and take over. Whatever the original plan was for Rebirth and Doomsday Clock is gone and has been replaced by what guy like Bendis have planned. Bendis set the tone at Marvel for a decade and it drove me away from Marvel comics, and now he is starting to do the same thing at DC and just like at Marvel my interest in DC has dropped off more and more.

I will pick up Doomsday Clock when it comes on in trades, but the original excitment I had is long gone.
    Ha, funny. While I am still thoroughly enjoying Marvel, I'm really digging nearly all the books Bendis is writing, right now, along with the artists he brought along with him. For the first time in awhile I'm actually picking up more DC than I am Marvel (although not by much).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

No really. Now, people whose opinions I trust and those whose tastes tend to align with mine praise the story, so I take that to heart. It probably is well-crafted. But I just was never cared much about Watchmen in the first place, and the DC ramifications are completely up in the air at this point. Its hard for me to be invested on those grounds now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm definitely still interested. The delays are beyond annoying but I still want to see how this plays out.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.