Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    In DC yes.

In Marvel, Thori is greatest. Thori kill now, yes?

Dex Star would have something to say about that argument

Extraordinary Member

the problem is too many krptonians together is a difficult to contain story, that a pretty large threat

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Yeah, if we’re going pets ... Krypto is the best of all hero animals.
    Rex the Wonder Dog and Detective Chimp would like a word with you. Not to mention Solovar.

But if we're just comparing Super-Family vs Bat-Family, then yes, Krypto beats out Ace the Bat-Hound by a mile.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Retired

I like it when there's a big supporting cast of regular people (well, Jimmy's no regular guy, but you get what I mean). I consider those people to be just as much family as the people with capes. I think that's what was the strength of classic Superman. They chose to place Superman as a kind of fish out of water in a human setting. Although that was probably advanced by the radio show and the TV show and the limitations on what they could do in that format.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Yeah, if we’re going pets ... Krypto is the best of all hero animals.
    Nah I say The bat Dragon or Goliath either can easily take Krypto

The Bat family wins this whole thing, hands down. It's strongly slanted in the Bats' favor. The Bat family has been a part of the mythos since virtually the beginning; an ever growing clan that get panel time and development and solo books and they get to enjoy the consistency Batman brings (Batman is largely reboot-proof, thus so are his kids). The Gotham sidekicks and legacies just get more effort and attention than the Metropolis kids, and they have since the start.

Superman, unlike Bruce, is historically a solo act, and when there is a legacy/kid involved, that hero usually doesn't interact with Clark very much. Kara, Conner, Steel, they're all off doing their own things, usually somewhere other than Metropolis. Jon's a new and unusual exception to that trend in that he and Clark actually spend time together. These guys also don't have solo books as consistently (not even Kara, compared to the Bat kids), and don't feature in team books quite as often (a Robin in the Titans is a necessity, a Superboy/girl is not).

I think Clark's the better character with the better mythology, but he's not usually written like the family man Bruce is. Bruce surrounds himself with a large family while pretending to be a loner, Clark keeps almost everyone at arm's length while pretending to be a people person.

I read an interview years back with some old editor, I forget who, and he said one of the reasons Clark didn't have a full time sidekick is because they were afraid it would slow Clark down, and if the kid was capable of keeping up, then no one would be able to actually challenge the duo. Plus Clark had Jimmy, who basically served the sidekick role without actually being a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I much prefer Superman as a character and I love the Superman Family, but the other side has Nightwing. That right there puts the Batfamily over the top. Kara is great but nothing comes close to Dick Grayson.
    And there's this too. Dick Grayson is the greatest human on earth. Any extended hero family is going to struggle to compare to that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Batman’s family is an actual family. They hang out a lot, go on missions together.

Superman seems more like a bunch of spin off characters( which is weird because their are more blood relatives in the Superman family then the Bat family). And it was always like that to. Superman’s first reaction to Supergirl was to give her to someone else to raise. Superman barely interacts with Conner, and even his actual son seems destined to be pushed out of the book at some point. (Probably exiled to the Legion). Superman in a lot of ways is the real loner. Batman just pretends to be one.

Retired

There wasn't much of a Batman family initially--just Bruce, Dick, Alfred and maybe Gordon. And Bruce being in a mysterious mansion on the outskirts of town and not having a regular job, didn't allow for much inclusion of other supporting characters in his life. Whereas, Clark was working in Metropolis and hanging out with his fellow co-workers. His family was more like the family of characters on THE OFFICE.

The family aspect of Superman came through in the stories of Superman and of his boyhood as Superboy--where there was the Kents, Lana, Pete and Krypto. The mistake they made with Supergirl was never really letting her be in the same location as Superman. The other characters---Lois, Jimmy, Lana, Perry, Krypto and even Lex--benefitted from always being in his orbit, so they felt connected to him. Supergirl was rarely in his world and that's probably why she was never as popular as Lois and Jimmy, pre-Crisis. Likewise, post-Crisis, they separated both Supergirl and Superboy from the circle of Superman's friends.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The Bat family wins this whole thing, hands down. It's strongly slanted in the Bats' favor. The Bat family has been a part of the mythos since virtually the beginning; an ever growing clan that get panel time and development and solo books and they get to enjoy the consistency Batman brings (Batman is largely reboot-proof, thus so are his kids). The Gotham sidekicks and legacies just get more effort and attention than the Metropolis kids, and they have since the start.

Superman, unlike Bruce, is historically a solo act, and when there is a legacy/kid involved, that hero usually doesn't interact with Clark very much. Kara, Conner, Steel, they're all off doing their own things, usually somewhere other than Metropolis. Jon's a new and unusual exception to that trend in that he and Clark actually spend time together. These guys also don't have solo books as consistently (not even Kara, compared to the Bat kids), and don't feature in team books quite as often (a Robin in the Titans is a necessity, a Superboy/girl is not).

I think Clark's the better character with the better mythology, but he's not usually written like the family man Bruce is. Bruce surrounds himself with a large family while pretending to be a loner, Clark keeps almost everyone at arm's length while pretending to be a people person.

I read an interview years back with some old editor, I forget who, and he said one of the reasons Clark didn't have a full time sidekick is because they were afraid it would slow Clark down, and if the kid was capable of keeping up, then no one would be able to actually challenge the duo. Plus Clark had Jimmy, who basically served the sidekick role without actually being a hero.

And there's this too. Dick Grayson is the greatest human on earth. Any extended hero family is going to struggle to compare to that.

So much this. Dick Grayson is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Batman’s family is an actual family. They hang out a lot, go on missions together.

Superman seems more like a bunch of spin off characters( which is weird because their are more blood relatives in the Superman family then the Bat family). And it was always like that to. Superman’s first reaction to Supergirl was to give her to someone else to raise. Superman barely interacts with Conner, and even his actual son seems destined to be pushed out of the book at some point. (Probably exiled to the Legion). Superman in a lot of ways is the real loner. Batman just pretends to be one.
    And very badly as well.

" I'am a loner."I work alone"" yet has has 5 kids, 5/7 pets, a cousin, extended possibly live-in other family members and lives with his surrogate dad.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 11-14-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    So much this. Dick Grayson is the best.
    He’s overrated
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-15-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    He’s overrated
    It that you Dc?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He’s overrated
    *Removes mask*

Old Man Didio?! I knew it.

He’s overrated

You monster!!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well... whenever they reboot the universe, they struggle to explain how their is such a big Batfamily…. but Superman's they just delete, reboot, or erase them I mean, there are some super extended characters in the Bat-family that get shafted... but You never have to doubt that Batman, Robin, Nightwing Batgirl/Oracle are still going to exist. Heck, new 52 could have easily jettisoned Tim and Jason to clean up the timeline... but didn't They crammed them all in.

Connor, Kara, Krypto?? ZERO guarantees they'll be around with any of their history, or if they'll do a whole new 'LOOK a stanger in a Superman costume... I wonder if we're related?? ' reboot every... single... time....

So yeah, if going for consistency... it's gotta be the bats.