View Poll Results: Should Spider-man be taken seriously when on a Hero team ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 74.07%
  • No

1 3.70%
  • Either way is fine

6 22.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should Spider-man be taken seriously as a hero when place on a team ?

When Spider-man was finally made a member of the Avengers it was something that was long overdue given his history as both a loner and a hero. Yet on the team he's more of a joker....I know it's different in his own solo titles, but I truly wish that Spider-man was taken more seriously when different writers place him on teams and not make him look like a joke ?

I mean while he isn't that big in terms of threats he has save the world more times than one could count when teamming up with other heroes. SO shouldn't that be taken into account when seeing him on a team and not make him look like a joke ?

As Spider-man fans what do you think of this ?

BANNED

Marvel in general is not as democratic as DC when it comes to team stories.

In the Justice League there was always this sense that "in this story Flash will save the day, next one it will be Martian Manhunter''. Whereas the Avengers is nearly always the Tony, Steve, and Thor show.

So Spider-Man isn't improved by being in the Avengers one jot.

I mean hes serious when he has too I dont mind him being look as the lame one of the group.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Marvel in general is not as democratic as DC when it comes to team stories.

In the Justice League there was always this sense that "in this story Flash will save the day, next one it will be Martian Manhunter''. Whereas the Avengers is nearly always the Tony, Steve, and Thor show.

So Spider-Man isn't improved by being in the Avengers one jot.
    Not quite true. Thanks to the JLU cartoon series, The Flash is treated more or less like Spider-Man. He's the comedic relief even if it is wildly out of character.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Not quite true. Thanks to the JLU cartoon series, The Flash is treated more or less like Spider-Man. He's the comedic relief even if it is wildly out of character.
    But Flash got to save the day many times. Many moments where he was the central guy in the story. That never happens to Spider-Man in any of his team-ups. In Justice League, the comic-relief guy can be the guy who takes out the bad guy and saves the world and does the decisive thing. In Marvel, the comic relief stays the comic relief in the team dynamic.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Yes, but nobody should laugh at his jokes.

Spider-Man's ideal uses on a team are cringe comedy and more importantly being the moral compass with the normal guy-POV.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Spectacular Member

I much prefer Spidey solo however on a team, given his history and ability, I think he deserves respect while also being the guy with dumb quips. And like above said, having a normal guy POV on things.

I think Spider-Man should be played as in-character whenever he's on team books, but most writers really don't make the best use of him in team setting, and cartoons tend to force him into team settings that he just doesn't fit in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I much prefer Spidey solo however on a team, given his history and ability, I think he deserves respect while also being the guy with dumb quips. And like above said, having a normal guy POV on things.
    Pete was fine when he was with the Fantastic Four. Why? Maybe they re used to people with a sense of humor ( Ben Grimm) or maybe it helped that he was Johnny Storm's besr friend, and Reed and Sue can relate to him, or maybe, he simply blended in better tbere. But it seems like he "A square peg in a round hole." on The Avengers. Is it a bad thing? No it is what it is.

Astonishing Member

true, spidey is a good leader
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 08-23-2019 at 02:04 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Spider-Man's ideal uses on a team are cringe comedy and more importantly being the moral compass with the normal guy-POV.
    Like Green Arrow in Justice League Unlimited? Because that was some fine character work there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Like Green Arrow in Justice League Unlimited? Because that was some fine character work there.
    Ken Shriner. Still the standard I judge any Green Arrow by .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ken Shriner. Still the standard I judge any Green Arrow by .
    He's still the voice in my head for Green Arrow in the comics, especially when it comes to calling out the League on its B.S. That would be perfectly fine for Spider-Man, because all too often it does seem like, certain ill-advised stories/actions aside, he's the hero with the strongest and firmest moral compass in the contemporary Marvel Universe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Reading comics in the 90s I always thought Spider Man should be an Avenger. When he was briefly written as a permanent Avenger during the 90s Nebula arc, I thought he fit perfectly and was disappointed they wrote him off the team so quickly. When I heard Bendis was bringing him back to the Avengers i was excited but he didn't seem to fit in. Outside of that Nebula arc, I haven't found Spidey to fit in as an Avenger.