View Poll Results: Should Spider-man be taken seriously when on a Hero team ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 74.07%
  • No

1 3.70%
  • Either way is fine

6 22.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Spider-man used to be the KING of team-ups. In the 80's and 90's every new character that showed up or every new book that was started... Spider-man showed up to impart his wisdom, give the 'power comes responsibility' speech and the new guys were in awe that they actually MET Spider-Man!!!

he was an elder statesman of the Marvel Universe.

I don't mind him throwing some jokes around and trying to ease some tension... but he should be respected as one of the most experienced super heroes around.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Spider-man used to be the KING of team-ups. In the 80's and 90's every new character that showed up or every new book that was started... Spider-man showed up to impart his wisdom, give the 'power comes responsibility' speech and the new guys were in awe that they actually MET Spider-Man!!!

I don't mind him throwing some jokes around and trying to ease some tension... but he should be respected as one of the most experienced super heroes around.
    It's kind of sad how much Spider-Man's standing in the Superhero community seems to have regressed.

I mean, I think it's a little better now, but still...

Astonishing Member

It’s not that he has to be serious all the time. It’s just annoying that he has to be dumbed down to make other characters look good. That’s part of the reason why lots of people prefer him as a loner.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

Elder statesman of the Marvel Universe. I like that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It's a difficult needle to thread since he is more popular as a fictional character than he is within the Marvel Universe. He shouldn't be too respected or too dopey.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's a difficult needle to thread since he is more popular as a fictional character than he is within the Marvel Universe. He shouldn't be too respected or too dopey.
    Captain America described him as one of the best men he'd ever known, and given the esteem Captain America is usually held in . . .

Amazing Member

Very interesting topic.
    I was about to open a similar thread, asking for New Avengers issues in which Spider-Man had a major role.

Thankfully I googled it and Wikipedia came to save me.

Despite Spider-Man being part of the NA was a huge deal, there is no story in which Spider-Man was supposed to be more than a talkative punching bag or a cameo.
    as others pointed out, Cap, Thor and Tony were the only ones allowed to save the day. Luke Cage and Wolverine had their occaional spotlight moments, but one could argue that even Spider-Woman, Vision, Echo/Ronin, Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, Hulk, Red Hulk, etc were practically useless.

By the time AvX came, Spidey got his two pages glory moment by getting his ass kicked by Magik and Colossus. That's how you could summarize the peak of Peter's experience in the Avengers (yes, during the Worldwide arc, when Peter was billionaire he kinda replaced Iron Man as the financial backer of tge team, but those stories were so bad, it's better off we forget about them).

a similar conclusion may be reached by analyzing Spider-Man's role during the cross-over events that Marvel kindly shoves in our throats every year.

Top of my mind I can only mention Secret Wars1, 2, Infinity Gauntlet, Civil War, AvX and Siege as the only cross-overs in which 616 Peter Parker has had any relevant role. In Secret Wars and Civil War 2 Peter's spot was stolen by Miles Morales, and one could argue that Peter had to share his spotlight with other characters even during some Spider-centric events like Spider-Island Maximum Carnage (which found a way to put Captain America in)and the various Spider-Verses.

My personal take on this is that Marvel wants to balance Spidey's major popularity with pure badassery by other characters. So, If Spidey is the top popular character, he also has to be weaker than almost any other hero.
    So the average kid could still idolize Spidey, while having nerdgasms and power fantasies over Captain America and Iron Man.

The MCU has little to do in all this as it started durong tge very first Marvel Team Up issues in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of sad how much Spider-Man's standing in the Superhero community seems to have regressed.

I mean, I think it's a little better now, but still...
    Did it really improve since last I checked (That was at the beginning of Spencer's run)? Like, are there less heroes treating him like a pest? Including people who used to be friends with him?

At the very least, in Ghost-Spider she's treating him better than when they interacted under Slott (I remember getting the impression she didn't respect him), but what about say, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones? Or maybe he became closer to Daredevil again?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCampy89 View Post
    Very interesting topic.
    I was about to open a similar thread, asking for New Avengers issues in which Spider-Man had a major role.

Thankfully I googled it and Wikipedia came to save me.

Despite Spider-Man being part of the NA was a huge deal, there is no story in which Spider-Man was supposed to be more than a talkative punching bag or a cameo.
    as others pointed out, Cap, Thor and Tony were the only ones allowed to save the day. Luke Cage and Wolverine had their occaional spotlight moments, but one could argue that even Spider-Woman, Vision, Echo/Ronin, Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, Hulk, Red Hulk, etc were practically useless.

By the time AvX came, Spidey got his two pages glory moment by getting his ass kicked by Magik and Colossus. That's how you could summarize the peak of Peter's experience in the Avengers (yes, during the Worldwide arc, when Peter was billionaire he kinda replaced Iron Man as the financial backer of tge team, but those stories were so bad, it's better off we forget about them).

a similar conclusion may be reached by analyzing Spider-Man's role during the cross-over events that Marvel kindly shoves in our throats every year.

Top of my mind I can only mention Secret Wars1, 2, Infinity Gauntlet, Civil War, AvX and Siege as the only cross-overs in which 616 Peter Parker has had any relevant role. In Secret Wars and Civil War 2 Peter's spot was stolen by Miles Morales, and one could argue that Peter had to share his spotlight with other characters even during some Spider-centric events like Spider-Island Maximum Carnage (which found a way to put Captain America in)and the various Spider-Verses.

My personal take on this is that Marvel wants to balance Spidey's major popularity with pure badassery by other characters. So, If Spidey is the top popular character, he also has to be weaker than almost any other hero.
    So the average kid could still idolize Spidey, while having nerdgasms and power fantasies over Captain America and Iron Man.

The MCU has little to do in all this as it started durong tge very first Marvel Team Up issues in the 70s.
    I would argue that for Secret Wars, Peter and Miles had a shared role in that as two of the survivors of the Multiverse's destruction/collapse that were preserved on those interdimensional lifeboats. While others might've had a bigger role, it was both Spider-Men who found the source of God Doom's power, and as for Civil War II, considering some people wanted Peter to be the one who died to show the danger of relying on Ulysses's predictions, he dodged a bullet by not staying in that s***storm of an event, though one would think he would've backed up Miles when Miles was being pursued by Captain Marvel on the basis of that vision of him standing over (HYDRA-)Cap's corpse. And the less said of Secret Empire relegating Peter's role to a tie-in story in his solo, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Did it really improve since last I checked (That was at the beginning of Spencer's run)? Like, are there less heroes treating him like a pest? Including people who used to be friends with him?

At the very least, in Ghost-Spider she's treating him better than when they interacted under Slott (I remember getting the impression she didn't respect him), but what about say, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones? Or maybe he became closer to Daredevil again?
    If it helps, he did talk some sense into Daredevil in the first arc of Chip Zdarsky's current solo, as Daredevil was on the verge of another breakdown, and when he guest-starred in Jessica Jones: Blind Spot, Jess seemed to at least respect his loss when it seemed like Mary Jane had been killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

For the most part it is nowhere near as bad as it was from the BND-ANAD era.

Extraordinary Member

Yes...with reservations. He is and always will be Peter. But when you see him shine is those moments where you see the inner Pete. When the Adaptoid attacked the Avengers and Luke's and Jessica's wedding...it was his idea for Tony to pull out all the armors. Or during A vs X....One he got everyone out and put Colossus and Magik against each other taking the beating or when it was revealed he was to be Hope's teacher.

And we saw it in Daredevil a couple issues back...He shows up in Matt's apartment and Matt's inner monologue tells us that Spidey is respected.

My point is he cannot be the new Captain America. He needs to be him...but give him those moments that make those around him say "that's why he's here."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Reading comics in the 90s I always thought Spider Man should be an Avenger. When he was briefly written as a permanent Avenger during the 90s Nebula arc, I thought he fit perfectly and was disappointed they wrote him off the team so quickly. When I heard Bendis was bringing him back to the Avengers i was excited but he didn't seem to fit in. Outside of that Nebula arc, I haven't found Spidey to fit in as an Avenger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Spider-Man should be played as in-character whenever he's on team books, but most writers really don't make the best use of him in team setting, and cartoons tend to force him into team settings that he just doesn't fit in.
    The writers COULD use Peter Parker instead of his Spider-Man persona. It worked for Hank Pym (in his civilian guise) as a supporting character. Peter genius intellect would be invaluable. I certainly would love to see him and Jennifer Walters interact in ways that opens the doors to the types of stories that has yet to be created.

Bendis always seemed to have a hard time separating ULtimate and 616 Spidey. That’s why even though I loved his USM work I really wasn’t a fan of his NA run. Spidey came off as way too useless and immature.

I prefer for Spidey to fly Solo because like others have mentioned his standing seems to have regressed so much in the superhero community. Writers always underutilize him for whatever reason. I would kill for some Spidey/F4 team ups and so on but only if Spider-Man is portrayed as an experienced threat. It’s crazy when you sit back and look at his powers and skill set, Spidey should be one of the more deadly super hero’s instead of simply being used as comic relief like he is in the team ups.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Bendis always seemed to have a hard time separating ULtimate and 616 Spidey. That’s why even though I loved his USM work I really wasn’t a fan of his NA run. Spidey came off as way too useless and immature.

I prefer for Spidey to fly Solo because like others have mentioned his standing seems to have regressed so much in the superhero community. Writers always underutilize him for whatever reason. I would kill for some Spidey/F4 team ups and so on but only if Spider-Man is portrayed as an experienced threat. It’s crazy when you sit back and look at his powers and skill set, Spidey should be one of the more deadly super hero’s instead of simply being used as comic relief like he is in the team ups.
    Depends on the writer's knowledge on Spider-Man. It's easy for a writer to make Spidey immature because of how he's portrayed in the cartoon. Most of the folks who featured him in The Avengers has never bothered to research the character. This again. most who write for Marvel has never worked in the comics industry prior to working for the company. It's all about them instead of the characters they write.