View Poll Results: Should Spider-man be taken seriously when on a Hero team ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 74.07%
  • No

1 3.70%
  • Either way is fine

6 22.22%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

You're d*mn right he should be taken seriously when on a team. He's the face of Marvel, and has been for many decades now. Sure, he loves to make puns and has a sense of humor, but that doesn't mean his only contribution to a team should be the team circus clown. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him LEAD a team, to help rid him of the team buffoon stigma.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    You're d*mn right he should be taken seriously when on a team. He's the face of Marvel, and has been for many decades now. Sure, he loves to make puns and has a sense of humor, but that doesn't mean his only contribution to a team should be the team circus clown. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him LEAD a team, to help rid him of the team buffoon stigma.
    Thor actually appointed him as the Midgard's representative (and de facto leader) for the League of Realms during War of the Realms. It was actually a pretty solid three-issue mini of him saving the day and making allies through his compassion and humanity, as opposed to the other Leaguers following the code of "if a threat or enemy appears, kill it without hesitation."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Depends on the writer's knowledge on Spider-Man. It's easy for a writer to make Spidey immature because of how he's portrayed in the cartoon. Most of the folks who featured him in The Avengers has never bothered to research the character. This again. most who write for Marvel has never worked in the comics industry prior to working for the company. It's all about them instead of the characters they write.

YES!!!!

I know when I was younger, I didn't even notice the writers. Stan Lee... Conway... stern... The character always read like Spider-man. The artwork changed of course... but the characters were consistent whoever was writing them... because the writers don't own the characters.. They just steward them for a while and their brand is still protected.

Now?? writers write their stories... and whoever is in them is going to act however the writer needs them to, to tell the story. Captain America? Iron Man? Wolverine? Spider-man? Doesn't matter who's wearing the costume or what their continuity and established personality is.... This is what I need protagonist A to say to Protaganist B...

I rememeber reading an interview about that Heroes in Crisis book where King told us that he had the story approved and then Editorial told him what characters he'd be allowed or forced to use for it...

MADNESS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Bendis always seemed to have a hard time separating ULtimate and 616 Spidey. That’s why even though I loved his USM work I really wasn’t a fan of his NA run. Spidey came off as way too useless and immature.

Yeah... Bendis has always been a BIG one for ignoring continuity to tell his story. I honestly REALLY loved him on USM for YEARS... however I never liked a SINGLE THING he did in 616. His Avengers, Daredevil, X-Men... they all felt like Ultimate versions. The same names and powers, but completely new characters....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    YES!!!!

I know when I was younger, I didn't even notice the writers. Stan Lee... Conway... stern... The character always read like Spider-man. The artwork changed of course... but the characters were consistent whoever was writing them... because the writers don't own the characters.. They just steward them for a while and their brand is still protected.

Now?? writers write their stories... and whoever is in them is going to act however the writer needs them to, to tell the story. Captain America? Iron Man? Wolverine? Spider-man? Doesn't matter who's wearing the costume or what their continuity and established personality is.... This is what I need protagonist A to say to Protagonist B...

I remember reading an interview about that Heroes in Crisis book where King told us that he had the story approved and then Editorial told him what characters he'd be allowed or forced to use for it...

MADNESS!!!...
    The way I see it, there's lot of original stories that could be told because Marvel has already established them. When was the last time Spider-Man encountered The Morlocks such as Caliban or Callisto? Despite the Morlocks living in NYC like Spidey, it's sad that they are not part of his world. This is an example of characters that Spider-Man Editorial Department could loan out some of their characters to X-Men Editorial Department for a few X-Men characters that they want to use for a story arc or more. Even Captain Britain and the Hellfire Club would make for a wonderful addition into Spider-Man's world.