Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    So a female led superhero movie ? Wahahaha , black cat with mary jane & gwen stacey in tow and call themselves the spider ladies ? They should just concentrate on the sinister six movie first and foremost.
    The Secret Six movie is coming out before this one, and a studio can make more than one movie at a time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    Silver Sable and Black Cat aside, I wonder what the odds are that Anya Corazon (from the Amazing Fantasy relaunch about a decade ago) would get a film. Then we would have a female lead film and POC star.
    Sony seems to like the teen superhero things anyways.
    Somehow I don't see Anya getting a film by Sony either. She wasn't originally launched as a part of Spider-man's world. She had a fairly separate mythos involving warring animal totems (yes I know about the JMS run) but only until after OMD did she gain any connection to Peter Parker's universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I'd be willing to wager that Spider-woman is not a character that Sony has any rights to. Neither Jessica Drew nor Julie Carpenter (until very recently) had any connection to Spider-man when the licensing deals were written up.
    When the contract was written up in 1999, John Byrne's Spider-Woman series (starring Mattie Franklin, a Spider-Man spinoff character, and co-starring Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter, and Madame Web) was just starting up... So it might be a case of the "top of mind" thing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    That sounds absolutely nothing like what Punisher said.

Sony is going to make a superheroine movie out of some C list character before Marvel Studios and maybe even WB (depends if that Finke rumour is true). That's simultaneously hilarious and awesome.
    Fox did it with Elektra in 2005. And a year before that was Catwoman from WB. Your point?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Absolutely. Especially if that other studio is WB and the film is Wonder Woman.

I'm not too up on Marvel, but I can't think of any other characters in the Spider-Man family that would be suitable. Bar Silver Sable or Black Cat. Am I missing something / somebody??
    Can Black Cat carry a movie on her own though? From what I remember of her all her character has is lusting after Spider-Man. They have to give the character more layers for that to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    Fox did it with Elektra in 2005. And a year before that was Catwoman from WB. Your point?
    By the time 2017 comes that'll have been 12 years ago, despite the large amount of other CBMs that have come out since.

And the Elektra movie was made to keep the rights of Daredevil for just a bit longer.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

If this unknown film does well and "Ant-Man" tanks, I'm going to start spreading rumors that male-lead films aren't viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Can Black Cat carry a movie on her own though? From what I remember of her all her character has is lusting after Spider-Man. They have to give the character more layers for that to work.
    Any character can be given a movie if they right creativity and marketing behind them. I imagine a Black Cat film to be some sort of heist-thriller.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I really don't know. You could say the same about Silver Sable I suppose, albeit for different reasons. Is she a big enough name to carry a movie??

With GOTG currently laying waste to cinemas world-wide though, anything's possible.

BANNED

Good move Sony, but I hope they get done a good female led movie. DC and Marvel will keep doing nothing about it? sony was a nice surprise, I didn't expected this.

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    When the contract was written up in 1999, John Byrne's Spider-Woman series (starring Mattie Franklin, a Spider-Man spinoff character, and co-starring Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter, and Madame Web) was just starting up... So it might be a case of the "top of mind" thing.
    I heard that Sony doesn't has the rights for Spider-Woman... if that is true, what Marvel is waiting for troll Sony?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    If this unknown film does well and "Ant-Man" tanks, I'm going to start spreading rumors that male-lead films aren't viable.

Any character can be given a movie if they right creativity and marketing behind them. I imagine a Black Cat film to be some sort of heist-thriller.
    I was thinking along the lines of Oceans Eleven

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    Ha! I was just about to roll through with this point.

Sure it's been a while since we've have a female superhero film released in theater, but it's not like it's an entirely new concept either.

Elektra, Catwoman, Supergirl...those all happened, disregarding quality.

Of course, with the resources at their fingertips, there is very little reason that any of the big studios can't make a quality female led film. Marvel and WB in particular have a lot that they could choose from, and as GotG demonstrated, it doesn't have to be a straight up superhero film either.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I really don't know. You could say the same about Silver Sable I suppose, albeit for different reasons. Is she a big enough name to carry a movie??

With GOTG currently laying waste to cinemas world-wide though, anything's possible.
    See, one thing to remember is that every film doesn't need to make upwards of $500 million to be considered a success. Find a way to keep the budget down. Tell a great story with good action. Market well. Make a profit.

That the characters are unknown is irrelevant. Every character was an unknown at some point. It just takes one good showing to break through.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 08-04-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Astonishing Member

See, Ocean Eleven is what I would have expected for a Sinister Six film...just with a Superior Six line-up.

Astonishing Member

If it's a Black Cat movie, what possible villains can she face from Spidey's gallery? Sony's marketing is awesome. Sinister Six, possible Black Cat or Silver Sable movie? Genius! Another trilogy franchise in the making.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Good move Sony, but I hope they get done a good female led movie. DC and Marvel will keep doing nothing about it? sony was a nice surprise, I didn't expected this.

I heard that Sony doesn't has the rights for Spider-Woman... if that is true, what Marvel is waiting for troll Sony?
    I'm probably the only one who feels that it's not really the company that is completely at fault but it's the movie goers.

I admit Marvel and DC are wishy washy when it comes to superheroine films but it's the movie going public who are encouraging their wishy washyness by not contributing and making the solo films a success. Why do you think the Batman films are WB's bread and butter? Because the fans keep on forking their cash to see them. Why are the male superhero fims a bigger sell? Because the fans fork over their cash to see them. The fans can blame Marvel and DC all they want but at the end of the day they are the ones to blame

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I could see it, though maybe with a smaller budget.