Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I agree with your summary of how each life progressively becomes more extreme but I don't think moral compass or villainy comes into consideration for someone who's lived at least 600 years or 1600 if X^3 was indeed Moira's 6th life (in which she plays the game the AI's way, as speculated). Or she could be the other body in a "bath" next to Cylobel, since it appears the Librarian was talking about more than one such prisoner.

Anyway (where was I?)... right, as Totality said above, a concept like villainy looks very different depending on your time scale and what's at stake. It's the trolley problem or Ozymandias's solution. When you've lived hundreds or more than a thousand years, you're likely to see a scenario where billions can be saved if you kill or allow thousands to die. Step back far enough, you're still a hero.
    Last edited by jamesslow; 08-26-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Spectacular Member

Or, to reply and quote myself, if the 10(+1?) lives are a simulation run in The World, then Moira isn't killing or allowing humans or mutants to die at all. She and Charles are just testing What If scenarios.

Fantastic Member

Just had a thought.

In life X, Moira has a child and that child is a mutant (Proteus).

What’s to say that at least one of her three children in timeline 1 was a mutant? Perhaps with similar powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Just had a thought.

In life X, Moira has a child and that child is a mutant (Proteus).

What’s to say that at least one of her three children in timeline 1 was a mutant? Perhaps with similar powers?
    “It was a good life. A human life. Predictable, mostly pleasant and not extraordinary at all.”

I know everyone likes to think Hickman is always lying just so plot developments can come out of nowhere (I don’t agree with any of that) but I think it would be a pretty big cheat to write that and omit that one of her kids was out there possessing people. And Moira would have to be pretty dense to be on her third life like “okay... so I’m starting to come around to being pretty sure that I am a mutant. Also I guess that would explain why my kid was a psychic monster, come to think of it!”

Anyway, I have a whole theory that I won’t shut up about, about how Proteus in life 10 must be intentional (and then by extension, perhaps also Legion), and I think life 6 will be where she discovered that potential, by accident. A life that she might have thought wasted at the time, providing a crucial piece of the plan for her final go-around.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesslow View Post
    I agree with your summary of how each life progressively becomes more extreme but I don't think moral compass or villainy comes into consideration for someone who's lived at least 600 years or 1600 if X^3 was indeed Moira's 6th life (in which she plays the game the AI's way, as speculated). Or she could be the other body in a "bath" next to Cylobel, since it appears the Librarian was talking about more than one such prisoner.

Anyway (where was I?)... right, as Totality said above, a concept like villainy looks very different depending on your time scale and what's at stake. It's the trolley problem or Ozymandias's solution. When you've lived hundreds or more than a thousand years, you're likely to see a scenario where billions can be saved if you kill or allow thousands to die. Step back far enough, you're still a hero.
    Speculative immorality. I don’t see this one at all. All I see is potential insanity based on loosing perspective.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Disappointed that we were given a Dane/Frost hybrid only to have him brutally taken away. Didn't even get to see him without the helmet. Also very rude that his costume didn't have revealing cutouts.
    THIS^^^^^^^^ I Agree with all of what Dante Milton said. Especially the part about the lack of cutouts.

I do wonder now that the Year 100 story seems to be done, where PoX will take us next.

I do also wonder what is going on with the Phalanx in Year 1000. It seems there was another blue person, besides the Liberian who had a hoody and was old. It seemed he was aware of the Phalanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    I do wonder now that the Year 100 story seems to be done, where PoX will take us next.

I do also wonder what is going on with the Phalanx in Year 1000. It seems there was another blue person, besides the Liberian who had a hoody and was old. It seemed he was aware of the Phalanx.
    I am sure that old blue person that were happy about Phalanx arrival is Moira.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I am sure that old blue person that were happy about Phalanx arrival is Moira.
    Imagin her living in the collective until the end of time...saying well it is over...then BOOM back for life 7, and she goes md and wants to kill every AI ever...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    Imagin her living in the collective until the end of time...saying well it is over...then BOOM back for life 7, and she goes md and wants to kill every AI ever...
    I think she just wants to check if her live will continue if she will become a machine or smth like that. When Phalanx will combine with her she will die. After reincarnation she will understand that machines are just a death for everyone and Phalanx will be a big bad for X-Men stories next few years.

Astonishing Member

So far House of X and Powers of X have been great limited series.
    For sure interesting new stories of the X-Men,i will be reading the rest of these two limited series.
    For example in the third issue with how the new characters get writen,or the fight between Apocalypse and Nimrod made this a great read to me.
    Looking forward to read House of X#3.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    I think it might be fully villainous at the speed at which the X-Men have always lived their lives, and look more heroic the further you pull back, the more individuals look like tiny dots in a more important whole, and the conflict and drama can come from how much each character is willing or able to see things that way (not a lot for most X-Men and readers, I’m guessing.)

The timelines in HOX2 and POX3 respectively note Moira and Apocalypse “rescuing the first Horsemen and returning to Earth” in year 24, suggesting they are out waiting in space, and in year 98 notes their death along with the fall of Krakoa. The “Final Horsemen” were a thing in Remender’s Uncanny X-Force... they were also lying dormant waiting for Apocalypse to wake them, having been created by Apocalypse in ancient times, but I think they were on Earth? But I would guess the “First Horsemen” are a play on that concept. It could be something Hickman intends to bring in soon, since anything that old wouldn’t be unique to just one of Moira’s lives, or it could be worldbuilding mostly for texture, in a “save it for later” way.

I am starting a theory that THOSE first horsemen are Karakoa Vulcan and Darwin
    Cool theory. Maybe the 4th one is Gazer (mutant living in space), who has already been a horsemen of Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesslow View Post

I think like a lot of posters already said here, it's seems like a natural progression for the character to allow herself to take extreme meassures to ensure her survival. After all, this woman remember EVERYTHING from her previous lifes. Even the way she died (that includes a plain crash, being burned to death, killed by a sentinel, stabbed by Wolverine, etc). The level of trauma this woman must live with is crazy :/

Quote Originally Posted by xSonOfTheAtomx View Post
    I think like a lot of posters already said here, it's seems like a natural progression for the character to allow herself to take extreme meassures to ensure her survival. After all, this woman remember EVERYTHING from her previous lifes. Even the way she died (that includes a plain crash, being burned to death, killed by a sentinel, stabbed by Wolverine, etc). The level of trauma this woman must live with is crazy :/
    People seem to forget that she stayed alive into her 100's during the 9th life. I'm sure she learned some tricks from Apocalypse to bring that possibility into the 10th and beyond. Just because Destiny says she might not make it past 11 doesn't mean it's not a changeable prediction. It's happened before in the Destiny Diaries storyline.

I am starting a theory that THOSE first horsemen are Karakoa Vulcan and Darwin
    Hmmm, but I think Vulcan is actually way more powerful than Apocalypse is and he did lead a complete race and the Imperial Guard, so why would he be a minion of En Sabah Nur?