Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Is Ike Perlmutter likely to make edicts on Spider-Man now?

Given what a level headed response everyone’s favourite Trump worshiping recluse had last time someone told him no - which resulted in Fantastic Four being cancelled and an edict on no X-Men and Fantastic Four characters in games and other similar media for nearly four years following the success of DOFP and Fox’s refusal to return the FF rights - is it likely that we could see a major decrease in comic titles and other media Marvel Comics controls featuring Spider-Man to stop Sony having any free promotion?

No.

For beginners, Perlmutter isn't as involved in Marvel as he used to be. Nowadays he's much more involved being at Trump's cabinet.

Second, the only thing they're losing is the movie rights. Marvel/Disney still have cartoon rights and, more importantly, merchandise rights. They'll still receive money from the toys future Spider-Man movies that Sony makes. That's very different from their deal with Fox, where everything would go to them and the only benefit Marvel would gain is publicity for themselves.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Given what a level headed response everyone’s favourite Trump worshiping recluse had last time someone told him no - which resulted in Fantastic Four being cancelled and an edict on no X-Men and Fantastic Four characters in games and other similar media for nearly four years following the success of DOFP and Fox’s refusal to return the FF rights - is it likely that we could see a major decrease in comic titles and other media Marvel Comics controls featuring Spider-Man to stop Sony having any free promotion?
    Since Marvel/Disney still have the merchandising rights to the character, I don't think so.

At least not anymore than before the Marvel/Sony deal.

BANNED

Perlmutter is not involved in Marvel Studios anymore. So it suits his interest, i.e. career and corporate to go "Nope" in case Marvel Studios ask him to gut Spider-Man in comics. All he can say is, "Back then I had a say in the movies so I could create synergy between the two. But now Marvel Studios is under Disney as a separate vertical. Could arrange it if I had a say and a bigger share in profits thought?" So not gonna happen.

Besides, there's a reason X-Men wasn't completely scrapped like Fantastic Four was - it was too popular. So is Spidey.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Now that Marvel Studios is out of the picture. Perlmutter’s Marvel Entertainment will now co-produce Spider-Man

Extraordinary Member

I think Infinity War and Endgame proved without a doubt how important Spiderman is to people. We all simply have too big of an attachment to him. So, yeah, I'm not sure anyone from Marvel or even Perlmutter himself would go as far as they did with the FF or even the X-Men.

Given how much money Spider-Man makes Marvel and Disney through merchandising alone (of which Marvel and Disney own completely), I doubt he'll get the same treatment the X-Men and Fantastic Four got. He just had a billion dollar movie. Kids are still buying Spider-Man toys by the dozens and there's always a Spider-Man cartoon on the air. As vindictive as CEOs can be, they're not going to throw that kind of money away.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Given how much money Spider-Man makes Marvel and Disney through merchandising alone (of which Marvel and Disney own completely), I doubt he'll get the same treatment the X-Men and Fantastic Four got. He just had a billion dollar movie. Kids are still buying Spider-Man toys by the dozens and there's always a Spider-Man cartoon on the air. As vindictive as CEOs can be, they're not going to throw that kind of money away.
    Just a reminder. Disney do not own the movie merchandising rights to Spider-Man. They have them on loan (the Sony half) while their deal with Sony holds. This is the single biggest reason why the deal will continue in some form or another.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-22-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.