Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Justice League: Corporate Maneuvers by Keith Giffen & Co.

Kind of an odd choice for a TPB considering all of the JLA and JLE issues that have still not been collected, but Justice League Quarterly issues 1-4 starring Booster Gold and his Conglomerate come together in a trade that will be released February 18, 2020.

That is if it isn't pulled before the release date. I was actually crushed when this happened back in the 90s because it ended Blue and Gold in the pages of JLA.

https://www.amazon.com/Justice-Leagu...s=books&sr=1-1

JLQ #1 was a good issue.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Kind of an odd choice for a TPB considering all of the JLA and JLE issues that have still not been collected, but Justice League Quarterly issues 1-4 starring Booster Gold and his Conglomerate come together in a trade that will be released February 18, 2020.
    The reason this is being released before the rest of the regular run? Two words. Gerard Jones.

JLQ #1 featured Maxwell Lord showing more admirable qualities long since forgotten.
    We meet his ex-wife, Claire, who decides to be the Emma Frost to his Magneto/Professor X and steals Booster away for her own JLI-like team, called the Conglomerate.
    Max conveys to L-Ron how he feels bad about spying on Booster to get intel about Claire's team. Art by Chris Sprouse. Essential issue.

JLQ #2 featured a return of Mr. Nebula while Fire & Ice have a fun meet up with Heatwave and Captain Cold.

JLQ #3 featured the team going back in time and through space to save the homeworld of Bluejay and Silver Sorceress and getting shrunk in the process. Art by Mike McKone. Essential issue.

JLQ #4 had three stories. The main story spotlighted the Injustice League, the second featured Ice going Dark Phoenix meets 50-Foot Tall Woman (with art by Darick Robertson) and the third was a multi-chapter story spotlighting Power Girl's cat (with art by Marshall Rogers and P. Craig Russell).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    The reason this is being released before the rest of the regular run? Two words. Gerard Jones.
    Yeah, his JLE stuff is not even on DC Universe. They're trying to cut all ties to him and I don't blame them a bit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    Jones scripted issue #3 of JLQ

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, his JLE stuff is not even on DC Universe. They're trying to cut all ties to him and I don't blame them a bit.
    DC is probably relieved that it's the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI era that has to suffer and not something like Dark Knight Returns or Watchmen.
    It couldn't have worked out any better for them in their attempts to erase that era from the history books.

Retired

I think that I actually liked JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE even more than the parent title, but the issues I loved were the first twelve with Bart Sears art. Those were written by Giffen/DeMatteis and by Giffen/Messner-Loebs.

Have those been reprinted? I think Bill could use the money

Not that I'm bothered if they reprint the Gerard Jones work. If we start choosing what gets reprinted based on what people have done outside of the job, we're going down a rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think that I actually liked JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE even more than the parent title, but the issues I loved were the first twelve with Bart Sears art. Those were written by Giffen/DeMatteis and by Giffen/Messner-Loebs.

Have those been reprinted? I think Bill could use the money

Not that I'm bothered if they reprint the Gerard Jones work. If we start choosing what gets reprinted based on what people have done outside of the job, we're going down a rabbit hole.

They should find a way to release them for the fans.
    Maybe not give him credit (or at least don't give him cover credits) or if it's royalties, find a way to give that money to a relative or a charity.
    He was only one person involved in the comics.
    It would be a shame if a large run of present day Batman or Jim Lee comics were kept from being collected in ten or twenty years because some other person involved committed a crime that they aren't even remotely considering doing today.

Btw, Jones started with #14 and scripted the Extremists saga, probably the best story of the title.
    But even then, he wasn't the 'writer' until #36.
    Giffen was still in control of the book until the end of Breakdowns. Jones just did the dialogue.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-22-2019 at 05:43 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Jones (among others) was pretty damn prolific, and a staple in DC's writers lineup for years, but DC was too busy re-re-reprinting the same stuff over and over again to pay his work any attention. When they finally got around to it, he was in the news for all the wrong reasons. I can't blame them for avoiding bad PR, but now we'll probably never see anything with his name on it collected again.

DC's sh!t-for-brains collections department shouldn't have sat on so much uncollected material for so many years. Right around the time the whole Jones scandal blew up, there were multiple books solicited (or otherwise in the pipeline) that had his involvement, all of which were canceled.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Jones (among others) was pretty damn prolific, and a staple in DC's writers lineup for years, but DC was too busy re-re-reprinting the same stuff over and over again to pay his work any attention. When they finally got around to it, he was in the news for all the wrong reasons. I can't blame them for avoiding bad PR, but now we'll probably never see anything with his name on it collected again.

DC's sh!t-for-brains collections department shouldn't have sat on so much uncollected material for so many years. Right around the time the whole Jones scandal blew up, there were multiple books solicited (or otherwise in the pipeline) that had his involvement, all of which were canceled.
    Yeah, my JLI omnibus will never know company.

Yeah, my JLI omnibus will never know company.
    I'm loathe to engage in revisionist history, but if Giffen's original plot break downs are still available, I'd just have Dematteis re-script the parts done by Jones. It's better than having that material relegated to the back bins.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

They should release it, withholding the name of the writer. I doubt it will move huge numbers or he who shouldn't be named will make a big profit

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

Am I right in thinking that Mosaic has never been collected? That's the one that really seems crazy to me.

I suppose it would have to come from a judge or something, but I'd say reprint his stuff, and any proceeds or royalties would have to go to charities that combat the exploitation of children. Also place a note somewhere in the credits to that effect.