Default Why not a post # requirement before a member can start a new thread?

A new member would need to have 5 or 10 replies before they have the capability to post a new thread. It would certainly cut down on the many SPAM threads I see by people who join just to post them.
    This is done on other forums I am on.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    A new member would need to have 5 or 10 replies before they have the capability to post a new thread. It would certainly cut down on the many SPAM threads I see by people who join just to post them.
    This is done on other forums I am on.
    I agree.

Many, many times have I see someone join, just to create a thread to ask for people to go to their websites! I always think what nerve they have!

Also, don't state how many postings are required--because then they will meet that minimum just to get to what they want.

Then we're just going to get another 5, 10, whatever the requirement of garbage posts just so they can start their thread. Or they're going to post what they're spamming in already active threads that may or may not have anything to do with what they're talking about. At least when they start a thread they're easier to spot.

Also, there are people that join the site and want to post a new thread that aren't causing those problems. I wouldn't want to hinder their experience just because spammers be spammin'.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Thanks Conn, looks like you thought about this.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

A few years back, we actually tried this.
    It led to a marked decrease in posts from new members, as they came and signed up to talk about a subject that was on their mind but found that they couldn't.

Feedback told us it made the forums feel more exclusive (and not in a good way) and turned new members away.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

I think if we ever see a rise in an issue like this we could just empower an equal number of mods to deal with it rather than requiring members to make arbitrary posts.

I just want to say that the amount of spam threads in the last 24 hours has been troublesome. Perhaps a post count or 1 day waiting period would be worth considering now.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I just want to say that the amount of spam threads in the last 24 hours has been troublesome. Perhaps a post count or 1 day waiting period would be worth considering now.
    Yeah it's getting pretty annoying lately.

I want to say I am not faulting the Administrators. Just seeking a way to minimize this happening.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't see why it's that bothersome...just report them and move on the mods will clean them up when they get the report

Yup, that's how it works.

It's occasionally worse than normal, just how it goes.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Alright, but it would have been nice if we had a "like" button, so I could just like Sean's reply, rather than having to write this whole post.
    (just having fun about another thread here)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Many, many times have I see someone join, just to create a thread to ask for people to go to their websites!
    Those people are almost always dealt with rather readily, though.