Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

For the record, I like the MCU Spider-Man better than the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man. Tom Holland is great in the role. He's very likable, both as an actor and in how he portrays the character. He has embraced his role as much as RDJ embraced Tony Stark.

That said, I understand the criticisms. The MCU Spider-Man is not on the same level as the one from the comics or from Tobey McGuire. And it's not just because this version of Spider-Man doesn't have Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson, or a comics accurate Ned Leeds. There are elements of the story that I feel are just bland. They lack the dramatic punch of the Sam Raimi films. And some of the portrayals of certain characters, especially Ned and "MJ," just don't seem to work.

Even so, I hope he stays in the MCU. I think there's too much money to be made from Spider-Man in the MCU for either company to drop it completely.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I absolutely love Tom Holland as an actor and as Spider-Man. There seems to be a real genuine excitement from him about playing the role. However there were a few issues with the MCU version. I absolutely disliked him being portrayed as iron mans sidekick. I felt that limited the character tremendously. I still feel he was the best Spider-Man and seeing this breakup is awful.

Honestly I felt every actor that has played the character has brought their own strengths and weaknesses to the character.

Tobey was a fantastic Peter Parker. He nailed that but he always struggled with Spider-Man. It wasn’t his fault either. It’s just his monotone voice and personality didn’t lend itself well to an off the wall energetic superhero like Spider-Man. He couldnt deliver consistently on the humor.

I’m in the minority with Andrew Garfield because I also enjoyed him. I felt that his Peter Parker was a bit too cool to be a faithful interpretation of the character. Loved him as Spider-Man though. He seemed to have that energy and humor down that even borderlined on a bit of cockiness/arrogance which the character does at times.

Tom was just a nice mixture of both and he really seemed to grow into his own in the last movie. I’m hoping he sticks around and we aren’t treated to another reboot.

BANNED

My problems with the MCU is coeval to my problems with teenage Spider-Man because he went from being interesting and fresh for a short period (Bendis' USM, Weisman's Spectacular) to now being overpromoted as the default version at the expense of the actual best version of the character which is the adult version.

Having said all that, I had high expectations when Spider-Man joined the MCU. To me Captain America Civil War was MCU Spider-Man's peak. Despite my issues with teenage Spider-man, it would be difficult and awkward to insert an older established Spider-Man into the MCU, so a teenage Peter was a good logical place to start, on paper at least. I loved the entire airport battle and I thought Spider-Man was awesome there.

Homecoming I liked overall. But everything with Tony Stark in that just grated on me there. The real issue was the producers churlishly retconning the Civil War fight to make Spider-man more of a clown then he actually was there. As Gail Simone pointed out on twitter, overall the movies seemed to have a tone of talking down to teenagers rather than listening or speaking to them...and that to me is not an accurate read of Generation Z which is what Tom Holland's Peter is supposed to be. I mean the Parkland kids showed far more courage and spark than he does. I was largely disappointed by Spider-Man's showing in Infinity War and Endgame because it just confirmed that Spider-Man was made into Caddy for Mister Stark and had become a diminished version of the character.

I have broader issues with MCU namely that Tony Stark as a character does not deserve to be Spider-Man's mentor. This has to do with my feelings to the comics character, rather than RDJ's character. But even then RDJ played Tony Stark as a self-destructive mess of a character. That's how he was seen by most people who knew him. He's a f--k up. For Spider-Man to see the same character as some kind of Saint makes him out to be incredibly naive to say the least. We are never given any real in-character reason for why Peter thinks Tony Stark is something special.

On the whole, the MCU Peter is easily the least complex and most one-dimensional version of Peter, in live-action at least. A Batman movie can get away with the villain being more complex and interesting than the hero...but a Spider-Man movie where that happens, and happens twice with Vulture and Mysterio, is a failure in getting that character right.

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    To me compared to the Rami films and the Amazing Spider-Man films the MCU films are gold. I didn't love the idea of Peter being directly tied to Tony but other than that I loved everything about it. I loved Aunt May being younger, I loved this take on Ned being his best friend, I loved them focusing on a younger Peter still in high school. I am in no way excited to see Sony rebooting again or attempt to use this version outside of the MCU movies.
    I feel exactly the opposite. Rami was gold the Amazing films had their moments while the MCU films were by far the weakest of the lot. I'm a purist. The Rami and Amazing films were truer to the source material thus their superiority, IMO. The MCU films were glorified Disney teen flicks that were Spidey movies in name only. Every traditional element was twisted into a bizarre parody from Tony Stark being stand-in uncle Ben, to young ditzy Aunt May, to Peter "borrowing" heavily elements from Miles' supporting cast, to faux "not" MJ, exact.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-22-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

While I don't HATE MCU's Spider-Man, I can't say that I really enjoy him that much either. As much as people complain about the presence of Ben Parker in older movies, Ben never had as much influence in the Raimi and Amazing movies as Tony Stark has in anything that has to do with MCU Spidey. MCU Peter is a good kid, but I'm afraid he's too bumbling for my liking; ever since Spectacular ended they've played up the "incompetent youth" angle and made him more childlike in every adaptation since. So as far as the Sony deal, I'm kind of indifferent.

The worst part is that even the "Spidey gets to interact with other heroes of the MCU" novelty falls flat when after 5 movies, he's only interacted with Tony in a meaningful way.
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 08-22-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Spectacular Member

I wasn't a fan of the MCU take on Spider-man but it clearly works for people that go to movies.. I mean Far from Home has made over a billion dollars. I also think its a benefical for the Spider-man brand to be associated with Marvel Studios.

But no the OP's take isn't unique and I would think is more common of a take from hardcore comic fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the MCU take on Spider-man but it clearly works for people that go to movies.. I mean Far from Home has made over a billion dollars. I also think its a benefical for the Spider-man brand to be associated with Marvel Studios.

But no the OP's take isn't unique and I would think is more common of a take from hardcore comic fans.
    I agree and don’t to an extent. I’ve heard people on both sides of the fence. Some dislike it and some like it. I guess I’m what one would consider a hardcore and overly bias fanboy of the character and I enjoy it. I do see some of the problems though with the characterization as far as how faithful of an interpretation it is. Tom Holland is such a great actor that he finds ways to overcome some of the shortcomings present with the character. He’s managed to steal every scene he’s in but maybe that’s just the fanboy in me. Tom Holland has definitely resonated with the fans in a way that Tobey and Andrew didn’t.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I agree and don’t to an extent. I’ve heard people on both sides of the fence. Some dislike it and some like it. I guess I’m what one would consider a hardcore and overly bias fanboy of the character and I enjoy it. I do see some of the problems though with the characterization as far as how faithful of an interpretation it is. Tom Holland is such a great actor that he finds ways to overcome some of the shortcomings present with the character. He’s managed to steal every scene he’s in but maybe that’s just the fanboy in me. Tom Holland has definitely resonated with the fans in a way that Tobey and Andrew didn’t.
    I think Holland is excellent in the role, probably my favorite playing Spider-man. You're not going to get the perfect adaption, there's just things that they used to tie Holland's Spider-man to the MCU that don't really work for me, personally. Things like Aunt May being young don't really bother me cause I don't care about Aunt May in the comics.. then on the flip side, I don't like Tony being so important to MCU Spidey when that's not how I see comic Spider-man and will never see him like that. However, I do get why MCU did that.

Mighty Member

You know it kind of is a double edged sword when something you like that is kind of niche becomes popular. It raises awareness sure, but as a fan you will nitpick almost everything. I wasn't as impressed with The Dark Knight back in the day and I felt like there was something wrong with me for not WORSHIPING the movie (I DID worship Batman Begins though...). I'm a bit of a newer fan to Spider-Man so while these things don't bother me all that much (I'm pretty much indifferent), I definitely understand feeling like an outcast when everyone else enjoys a take on one of your favorite characters in fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I think Holland is excellent in the role, probably my favorite playing Spider-man. You're not going to get the perfect adaption, there's just things that they used to tie Holland's Spider-man to the MCU that don't really work for me, personally. Things like Aunt May being young don't really bother me cause I don't care about Aunt May in the comics.. then on the flip side, I don't like Tony being so important to MCU Spidey when that's not how I see comic Spider-man and will never see him like that. However, I do get why MCU did that.
    I agree completely. The Tony Stark angle was always a big issue for me. I didn’t mind the connection but it was relied on way too heavily to the detriment of the character of Spider-Man....Like you mentioned I don’t feel there will ever be a perfect adaptation. Heck the best adaption for this character personally for me was PS4 Spidey. Now that was a spot on interpretation that could go toe to toe with any comic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You know it kind of is a double edged sword when something you like that is kind of niche becomes popular. It raises awareness sure, but as a fan you will nitpick almost everything. I wasn't as impressed with The Dark Knight back in the day and I felt like there was something wrong with me for not WORSHIPING the movie (I DID worship Batman Begins though...). I'm a bit of a newer fan to Spider-Man so while these things don't bother me all that much (I'm pretty much indifferent), I definitely understand feeling like an outcast when everyone else enjoys a take on one of your favorite characters in fiction.
    This was one of my issues watching the movies with people who weren’t familiar with the character. I’m extremely critical when it comes to these movies and in particular Spider-Man. My issue was never Tom Holland. To me, he’s the best. I can’t say enough good things about him. I also have the utmost respect for the fact that from all his interviews and his energy you get the vibe that he feels extremely fortunate to play the character. Some of the connections just didn’t work for me in regards to his relationship with Tony because it took away from the character....It didn’t fit for me.

It’s a shame that this marriage is most likely over at this point because it seems like Spider-Man has finally come into his own after FFH.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I agree completely. The Tony Stark angle was always a big issue for me. I didn’t mind the connection but it was relied on way too heavily to the detriment of the character of Spider-Man....Like you mentioned I don’t feel there will ever be a perfect adaptation. Heck the best adaption for this character personally for me was PS4 Spidey. Now that was a spot on interpretation that could go toe to toe with any comic as well.
    Haven't played it but saw all the cut scenes and story from the game. That was my favorite interpretation, MJ is more modern but other than that, it is indeed spot on.

I wasn't fond of MCU Spider-Man but am only guardedly optimistic. The ASM films were a huge bad decision, and were so much worse than MCU Spider-Man its not even funny. Sony could blow this big time on their own.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

No, you are not the only one, you only feel like the only one because most critics and marvel studio lackeys in the media loves to spin everything to MCU favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    No, you are not the only one, you only feel like the only one because most critics and marvel studio lackeys in the media loves to spin everything to MCU favour.
    How can we know that that's the case and not just that more people like them then you do.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)