Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Peter and Gwen's relationship was definitely a highlight of the iffy TASM movies. Andrew and Emma Stone had REAL chemistry. They were actually in a relationship together when they filmed the movies, and it shows. Best chemistry between Pete and a love interest on screen BY FAR, so far.
    People hardly mention and compliment the way he moves in those movies, that thing needs to be replicated, his combined speed and flexibility are fabulous and easily the best movements had in any medium.
    Catching that cop car in midair in Amazing Spider-Man 2 is one of the highlights of how they nailed the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    It's not? I liked the movie overall. All I was doing as pointing out an aspect of the movies I liked.
    Cool. I came to acknowledge how removed the character in those movies are from the source material, but I still like how he was portrayed for the most part, and I'm still a fan of the two movies.

Poor Marc Webb gets the lion share of blame for a couple of scripts he neither wrote nor chose.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

It's the best Spider-man we've had in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    People hardly mention and compliment the way he moves in those movies, that thing needs to be replicated, his combined speed and flexibility are fabulous and easily the best movements had in any medium.
    Catching that cop car in midair in Amazing Spider-Man 2 is one of the highlights of how they nailed the movement.

Cool. I came to acknowledge how removed the character in those movies are from the source material, but I still like how he was portrayed for the most part, and I'm still a fan of the two movies.

I actually enjoyed both ASM movies. I also liked Garfield and I feel at times it’s an uphill battle trying to defend him because of the hate the ASM series generated. As far as the action goes, his movements in those movies were spot on. The scene with Electro at the end is literally jaw dropping and pretty much a comic book panel come to life on the big screen. Andrew just had bad material to work with especially in ASM2. They should have either scrapped Electro or Harry completely and just focused on one. Possibly just Harry and done a slow build up through the movie of him turning. Two villains with little to no development was overkill.

That being said, the action in those movies and the movement of Spider-Man was probably the best in all the Spider-Man movies. Possibly edging out FFH because some of his movements in that movie were also pretty damn amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Fair enough.

Personally, I found them to be one of, if not the worst, love stories onscreen, which I blame on the writing. I much preferred the ones in all the other movies, due to better writing and more interestined progression (IMHO), but that's my opinion.
    Oh, no doubt, the writing of Peter and Gwen's relationship SUCKED. It seemed like Gwen agreed to a date with Peter in one scene, and as soon as that first date was over a couple of scenes later, they were tonguing each other down on the roof and he was revealing that he was Spider-Man to her, lol.

Aside from the actual poor WRITING of the relationship, though, their actual CHEMISTRY and acting together was off the charts. I feel like the chemistry between them and the way they captured Spidey's movements (best on screen yet) were the two best things about TASM movies by far.

As a side note, as someone said above, nobody ever talks about how great Spider-Man's movements looked in TASM movies, but they REALLY should have tried to replicate and build on the way they did them in those two movies, because that's the best Spidey has EVER looked swinging, leaping, crawling, dodging, and fighting on screen.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

One thing I don't like about MCU Spidey was that he kept taking off his mask and revealing his identity to pretty much everyone he meets. It seems like an unnecessary running gag. I understand that secret identities don't really matter in the MCU especially with the group of characters they've got (because most don't need them and are popular as public identities) but I think as the MCU's youngest hero who's still in high school and not a member or any team (yet) they should have prioritised keeping his identity secret to keep him unique and his interactions with other heroes more interesting.

But as said I think Marvel didn't even think about this because they've never had to, but they should have tried. I do like pretty much everything else regarding MCU Spider-Man so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    One thing I don't like about MCU Spidey was that he kept taking off his mask and revealing his identity to pretty much everyone he meets. It seems like an unnecessary running gag. I understand that secret identities don't really matter in the MCU especially with the group of characters they've got (because most don't need them and are popular as public identities) but I think as the MCU's youngest hero who's still in high school and not a member or any team (yet) they should have prioritised keeping his identity secret to keep him unique and his interactions with other heroes more interesting.

But as said I think Marvel didn't even think about this because they've never had to, but they should have tried. I do like pretty much everything else regarding MCU Spider-Man so far.
    Spider-Man's secret identity is basically a joke in the MCU. Like, for a character where it's probably one their most integral elements (even Into the Spider-Verse made it a point that Miles needed to keep his identity secret), to treat it so haphazardly just kind of defeats the point.

But Peter barely has a Spider-Man persona worth talking about, so it's not like he's trying that hard with it anyways, so I guess one reaps what they sow.

As a side note, as someone said above, nobody ever talks about how great Spider-Man's movements looked in TASM movies, but they REALLY should have tried to replicate and build on the way they did them in those two movies, because that's the best Spidey has EVER looked swinging, leaping, crawling, dodging, and fighting on screen.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

Oh, no doubt, the writing of Peter and Gwen's relationship SUCKED. It seemed like Gwen agreed to a date with Peter in one scene, and as soon as that first date was over a couple of scenes later, they were tonguing each other down on the roof and he was revealing that he was Spider-Man to her, lol.
    Yeah, I really think they were trying to do the Peter/MJ relationship from the Ultimate comics with Gwen in the movies; both Gwen and Ultimate MJ act as Peter's main support group and did get involved in some of the hero stuff from time to time. Heck, Peter told MJ who he was after a failed would-be date. Thing is, IMHO, in the comics, it was set up pretty well that Peter and MJ had been close for a long time (later stories even indicated they couldn't remember a time they hadn't been best friends), so when Peter tells her, it makes sense that he would trust her. ASM's decision to go the opposite route where Peter and Gwen clearly did not know each other did not work to support him confessing to her so quickly. (Also, I think the movie fumbled big time in the progression of the relationship, starting with Peter having a crush on a girl he barely knew and Gwen being receptive to them suddenly being in love for real after that rooftop scene. It didn't make any sense to me, esp. since the movie never borrowed to make the relationship any deeper the)

Aside from the actual poor WRITING of the relationship, though, their actual CHEMISTRY and acting together was off the charts. I feel like the chemistry between them and the way they captured Spidey's movements (best on screen yet) were the two best things about TASM movies by far.
    Maybe? Some scenes did not work for me. Like the one at the embassy. Beyond the writing, there was no chemistry there. The park scene with the rules I'll buy. It's not very deep and thinks that Peter stalking Gwen is cute, but the actors work. That's kinda how it goes for me. The chemistry is inconsistent. Mileage may vary.

Thought some were borrowed from the originals? The Times Square fight was good, no doubt about there (although I would put Spidey's two fights with a full-powered Electro as the best we've seen yet). However, I think that I like the other movie's stuff better, since I was more invested in the stories they were telling.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I was optimistic for this Spider-Man when he showed up in Civil War, but I was ultimately disappointed when Homecoming came out. I don't mind popcorn flicks, but this Spider-Man was so watered down in comparison to Sam Raimi's take, that I honestly regretted even purchasing my movie ticket. The only saving grace was Micheal Keaton's portrayal of Vulture. Needless to say, I didn't bother watching Far From Home.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 08-26-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Nope you're definitely not alone. While I appreciated Keaton's role as Vulture and felt the character was an ambitious twist on a classic villain; the overall feel of the MCU spidery felt less like Spider-Man to me and more like "change and adapt where necessary to appease current trends." I feel like I'm the only person on earth who actually enjoyed the Amazing Spider-Man films, and was greatly disappointed to learn that part 3/Sinister Six was cancelled.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I have to say I don't really get the whole "Iron Boy" complaint people keep aiming at MCU Spider-Man especially since the entire point of Far From Home was to show very explicitly how he can't and shouldn't be that.

As a whole both Homecoming and FFH are vastly superior to anything Sony has done with the franchise outside of the first two Raimi films and Spider-Verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    I feel like I'm the only person on earth who actually enjoyed the Amazing Spider-Man films, and was greatly disappointed to learn that part 3/Sinister Six was cancelled.
    I know a few others like us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Not one of them myself, but I do recall plenty of vocal supporters back when it was canceled. Why they aren't so vocal now is anyone's guess, but they do exist.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I also liked the films. They were pretty good, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    I have to say I don't really get the whole "Iron Boy" complaint people keep aiming at MCU Spider-Man especially since the entire point of Far From Home was to show very explicitly how he can't and shouldn't be that.

As a whole both Homecoming and FFH are vastly superior to anything Sony has done with the franchise outside of the first two Raimi films and Spider-Verse.
    I was never a fan of MCU Spidey, and his depiction in Homecoming is diffidently the worst he's been in the MCU, but I have to admit that movie is pretty good the way it was made, but it is still highly flawed. To say it's much better than the two decent movies in the cancelled universe is unfair to those two movies and showers Homecoming with too much praise, that movie is disjointed within the continuity of all of MCU.

Spider-Man 3 is one of the better Spider-Man movies, it's better than any live action flicks that came after it. I don't include Far From Home here cause I did not watch it.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE