Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

In response to the thread question:

You’re not the only one. While I didn’t hate MCU Spidey, I didn’t like Pete being so dependent on Tony, and I feel he was a bit of a ditz, made me cringe a good bit with his awkwardness. And I won’t say it was all Tom Holland, he didn’t write his lines after all. This was a joint effort. I was cool with the supporting cast and villains.

I will say MCU Spidey had interesting well-done villains but otherwise was lackluster, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    We do have something to go on on why Peter looks up to Tony as much as he did.
    That's not Peter. Feige said as much. Canonically, that kid isn't Peter Parker. If the MCU said he was for real, then they would have to pay extra money to Sony for retconning Peter into an earlier non-Spidey MCU. The deal only covered Spider-Man appearances in movies going forward and not back. That's not just some innocent fun that Tom Holland had with fans that people took for granted.

In either case, that HAS to be in the film for it to mean anything.

Now if Tony hadn’t been the face of the MCU, they could have easily turned it into a case of ‘never meet your heroes’ but they didn’t really want to trash Tony. What they did instead was a third option where Tony became a better person because of his relationship with Peter which I’d net as a positive.
    There were other options than "Saint Tony" or "Trash Tony", namely that Spider-Man remains a free agent, not tied to Iron Man or Cap but acts independently and decides for himself.

In the original Civil War comic, Spider-Man went from, reluctantly, supporting Iron Man, to supporting Captain America after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which was devalued, in my opinion, by having Tony's motivational words in his head when he did it.

The sooner we can completely drop Stark from Spider-Man one way or another, the better in my opinion. Give him the MCU Uncle Ben treatment .
    It may have been Tony’s words but it was a lesson he had to learn in order to grow. He can have all the toys in the world but if that was what made him who he is, then he didn’t have what it took to be a hero. Hell Tony bringing that to Peter was an echo of what Steve said to him back in Avengers about take away all the armor and what is he and the lesson he had to learn in Iron Man 3. One could even argue that by echoing these to Peter, they were setting him up to be the heart of the MCU going forward.

And as for dropping Tony, that was basically the point of Far From Home; that Peter had to grow to be his own person which I’m sure would have resonated in films beyond that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    We do have something to go on on why Peter looks up to Tony as much as he did. Back in Iron Man 2, when Whiplash’s drones attacked the Stark expo, Tony saved Peter’s life. He was the child wearing the Iron Man mask who was attacked by the drone. Not only does that show that he looked up to Tony from a young age but, put in the perspective of a child who was saved by their hero, it’s gonna create a sense of admiration. Now if Tony hadn’t been the face of the MCU, they could have easily turned it into a case of ‘never meet your heroes’ but they didn’t really want to trash Tony. What they did instead was a third option where Tony became a better person because of his relationship with Peter which I’d net as a positive.
    That retcon was one of the key reasons I cannot stand how MCU sees Spider-Man. I rather it was a different kid and not Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I'd take another TASM over the MCU any day. I liked their interpretation of Peter and Gwen's relationship/love.
    Gwen died, a third TASM will be moot if that's your only reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I will say MCU Spidey had interesting well-done villains but otherwise was lackluster, IMO.
    I'll include the suits, I love those suits.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    That retcon was one of the key reasons I cannot stand how MCU sees Spider-Man. I rather it was a different kid and not Peter Parker
    the retcon isnt even legit tom holland said that in an interview and when someone ask Kevin he said sure so the media ran with it. They never mention that in any of the 5 movies he has been in. I dont believe they said that in any tie in comic that feature the Mcu although those arent really canon either. So basically its an unknown kid could be Peter depending on the individual its not even that serious
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Amazing Member

Had the OP asked my this during Homecoming, I would've said "yes, I hate MCU Spidey".

The introduction of the character in Civil War was great, although irrilevant to the plot.

Then Homecoming came and ruined everything.

So Peter is not able to punch someone in the face, is not capable of tailoring a suit despite having created web-shooters from spare parts found in the trash, his two major villains (Vulture and Mysterio) were results of Tony's action rather than Peter's, the whole Michelle-MJ fiasco, Tony omnipresence while alive and predictable burden after his death, sexy Aunt May,etc made me hate MCU Spidey.

Thankfully, Infinty War and Far From Home made me appreciate (or better, made me start appreciating) this version of the character by introducing The Daily Bugle, a more accurate Flash Thompson, a great Mysterio, Peter slowly getting out of Tony Stark's shadow, etc

So, Marvel Studios was taking the character in a more tolerable direction after all.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why's that? (That was an element I really disliked about the movie.)
    Peter and Gwen's relationship was definitely a highlight of the iffy TASM movies. Andrew and Emma Stone had REAL chemistry. They were actually in a relationship together when they filmed the movies, and it shows. Best chemistry between Pete and a love interest on screen BY FAR, so far.

Don't like the MCU Spider-Man at all, his constant Tony Stark wanking was grating. I'd rather have no Spider-Man movies at all than hear him say "Mr Stark!" ever again.

Duplicate post.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Peter and Gwen's relationship was definitely a highlight of the iffy TASM movies. Andrew and Emma Stone had REAL chemistry. They were actually in a relationship together when they filmed the movies, and it shows. Best chemistry between Pete and a love interest on screen BY FAR, so far.
    Fair enough.

Personally, I found them to be one of, if not the worst, love stories onscreen, which I blame on the writing. I much preferred the ones in all the other movies, due to better writing and more interestined progression (IMHO), but that's my opinion.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Gwen died, a third TASM will be moot if that's your only reason.
    It's not? I liked the movie overall. All I was doing as pointing out an aspect of the movies I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why's that? (That was an element I really disliked about the movie.)
    Nothing special, really. I liked how Garfield and Stone portrayed Gwen and Peter. There really isn't any other reason, lol. They were cute together, and most mediums have Peter with MJ so it was a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I couldn't agree more, on both counts.
    We have good tastes

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Nothing special, really. I liked how Garfield and Stone portrayed Gwen and Peter. There really isn't any other reason, lol. They were cute together, and most mediums have Peter with MJ so it was a change.
    Okay. Not a Gwen fan, so I don't exactly mind her not popping up a lot , but sure. Do wish the writing had been up to scratch with the actors. I found the relationship to be so badly written that I was not invested in it at all.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)