Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I've enjoyed all the Spider-Man movies to one extent or another (with the notable exception of the steaming pile that was Spider-Man 3).

Honestly, my only problem with the MCU Spider-Man is his over reliance on Tony and his tech. Granted, that bothered me A LOT, but those movies and the portrayals of the characters had a charm to them that the others simply don't. While I'm looking forward to not a single mention of Tony in a future Spider-Man film, I'm hoping retaining Holland (and hopefully the whole cast?) and the director of the MCU films will give me exactly the kind of Spider-Man movie I want.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I've enjoyed all the Spider-Man movies to one extent or another (with the notable exception of the steaming pile that was Spider-Man 3).

Honestly, my only problem with the MCU Spider-Man is his over reliance on Tony and his tech. Granted, that bothered me A LOT, but those movies and the portrayals of the characters had a charm to them that the others simply don't. While I'm looking forward to not a single mention of Tony in a future Spider-Man film, I'm hoping retaining Holland (and hopefully the whole cast?) and the director of the MCU films will give me exactly the kind of Spider-Man movie I want.
    I am someone who does not care for Peter in the MCU. Why? It is like him in The Avengers: Hides his strengths and enhances his weaknesses. The best of Peter is when he overcomes the odds and wins. Juggernaut and ASM 31-33 come to mind. He does not need to be Robin or Bucky to Tony Stark.

so you wanted him to beat thanos all by himself?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering this, too.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering this, too.
    seriously these guys been reading comics for how long and they misusing the word sidekick. sidekick means close companion or colleague (not necessarily in fiction) who is, or generally regarded as, subordinate to the one he or she accompanies. I didnt see Spider-man and Iron man take down Vulture shocker and Mysterio. They only team up in Civil War and Infinity War/Endgame and there is a difference between working together and one person who is clearly ordering the other to do something. In terms of those movies Spiderman told Iron man how to take down Giant-Man and Ebony Maw cant remember the last time a sidekick was that helpful to the main hero. Heres what Iron Man told Spidey to do web up Cap and help me take off Thanos gauntlet. if that considered being a sidekick I guess every avenger was a sidekick to Iron Man since Iron man 2008.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

I like Tom's performance...I do not like all the dang StarkTech. This is Peter Parker we are talking about. One of the smartest guys in 616. He developed web fluid, web shooters, and spider tracers when he was in high school. Put him in the MCU and it seems like he can't deal with anything without all the StarkTech. To me Pete is body stocking and his personal built gear.

Having said that I did like the appearance of the Iron Spider Armor...but that is a situational upgrade to me. Tony used it to save Pete and try to get him back to the ground....and it came in handy against Thanos.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 08-29-2019 at 06:10 PM.

All-New Member

Can Disney and Marvel stop Sony using Tony Starks technology for Peters new suit's if Spiderman is not in the mcu ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kirkland View Post
    Can Disney and Marvel stop Sony using Tony Starks technology for Peters new suit's if Spiderman is not in the mcu ?
    Absolutely.

All they have to do is have Peter create a new suit, drop in a line and say, "doesn't have the bells and whistles the old ones did" and that's it.

I remember the Thanos fight. I swear, its like spiderman ps4 had better visuals than Infinity War for Spiderman. And I keep hearing how good the russos are? They can't touch Sam Raimi or Bryan Singer visually.

Sigh, I wish Sam Raimi would come back and give us the train scene from Spiderman 2 again. We need superhero movies to feel individually artistically good again than the now processed looking comic book movies of the last few years.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-30-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kirkland View Post
    That would be good for Spidey.

Let peter start making his own ordinary suit again that makes him more relatable. Bring him back to grounded street credibility again..

seriously these guys been reading comics for how long and they misusing the word sidekick. sidekick means close companion or colleague (not necessarily in fiction) who is, or generally regarded as, subordinate to the one he or she accompanies. I didnt see Spider-man and Iron man take down Vulture shocker and Mysterio. They only team up in Civil War and Infinity War/Endgame and there is a difference between working together and one person who is clearly ordering the other to do something. In terms of those movies Spiderman told Iron man how to take down Giant-Man and Ebony Maw cant remember the last time a sidekick was that helpful to the main hero. Heres what Iron Man told Spidey to do web up Cap and help me take off Thanos gauntlet. if that considered being a sidekick I guess every avenger was a sidekick to Iron Man since Iron man 2008.
    I think you’re looking at it in a way too literal sense. The MCU/Disney relied way too heavily on a connection to Tony that it took away from the character of Spider-Man. There was just such an over reliance on Stark every time Peter was on screen. I could understand it rubbing people the wrong way. The constant “Mr. Stark” this and “Mr.Stark” that just drove people insane at times. This isn’t indicative of Tom Hollland cause he’s amazing. It was just a choice that the MCU made and it wasn’t a good one in my opinion. It got to the point where the general audience believes that Iron man is the top dog for Marvel and not Spider-Man.

By the way, technically Spider-Man didn’t stop Vulture Or Shocker. Vulture pretty much stopped himself after tossing Spider-Man around like a rag doll the entire movie and Ned ends up saving Peter from getting killed by Shocker. I’m not really sure Spider-Man won a single engagement in Homecoming.
    Last edited by RD155; 08-30-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't for the life of me see how Marc Webb's skateboarding, stuttering, unlikeably smug version of Peter Parker was closer to the essence of the character than Holland is.
    Well it's Garfield's stuttering, skateboarding and 'smug'?ness on one side vs Holland's constant wide-eyed, over excited 'That's Awesome!' on the other. Garfield's version was much closer to the essence of the character as it did not abandon just about every one of Spidey's core characteristics like the MCU take did.

Spidey may have been helped by Tony Stark but honestly when did he ever act like his "sidekick"?
    Following his orders in Civil War, Being instructed to operate in a 'little grey area' by Stark in Homecoming, the whole premise of Homecoming being Peter wanting to impress Stark so he could become an Avenger, Constantly being told off and lectured by Stark in Homecoming, ... In Infinity War being told by Stark he does not want anymore pop culture references.... Do I need to go on?

Homecoming had Peter turn down Tony's offer to join the Avengers in favor of being a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man and in Far From Home, his character arc is about him accepting that he shouldn't try to be the new Iron Man.
    And Yet, he flies around in Stark's ship, his suits are all made from Stark tech, he even inherits Stark's bodyguard... Are you seeing a pattern here? Not the new Iron Man you say? Well, he's not exactly your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is he?

With Sony at the helm, I really don't think that's ever going to happen.
    Well let's face it- it wouldn't be hard to make a more mature Spidey film than FFH seeing as that entry was comedy heavy and filled with ridiculous scenarios (bus satellite drone scene). And removing all the MCU characters means there will be no one else to prop Spidey up so they will have to focus on him. Also don't forget Sony made the two best Spidey films (1&2) and the critically acclaimed Spider-Verse.
    Last edited by Dangerous; 08-30-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    Well let's face it- it wouldn't be hard to make a more mature Spidey film than FFH seeing as that entry was comedy heavy and filled with ridiculous scenarios (bus satellite drone scene). And removing all the MCU characters means there will be no one else to prop Spidey up so they will have to focus on him. Also don't forget Sony made the two best Spidey films (1&2) and the critically acclaimed Spider-Verse.

It's up to us fans to keep reminding the Media Disney lackeys of this. Every article I still read fails to mention the first Spiderman movies, Kristen Dunst saying she is remembered more for bring it on than Spiderman is ridiculous. Considering Spiderman movies were a big impact for boys and girls and she was in 3 of them. There is this strange poisonous cloud in the air that wants people to forget X-Men 1, X-Men, 2 , Blade, Spiderman 1 and 2 never happened at all.

It's just strange and disrespectful to Spiderman. Do these folks know we can see the agenda with the crossover cinematic obsession. I am still marveling about how some are still saying Spiderman can only gross 1 billion with the MCU. Perhaps, if his first movies were the Garfield movies.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-30-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Well it's Garfield's stuttering, skateboarding and 'smug'?ness on one side vs Holland's constant wide-eyed, over excited 'That's Awesome!' on the other. Garfield's version was much closer to the essence of the character as it did not abandon just about every one of Spidey's core characteristics like the MCU take did.
    Considering Garfield's Peter Parker cared more about his dead, boring parents than he did about Uncle Ben,Became Spider-Man for revenge rather than responsibility, let several people die as Spider-Man so he could quip with the Rhino in the beginning of TASM 2, and strung Gwen along throughout the second movie coming off as incredibly indecisive and immature, I'd argue the exact opposite. At least, Holland's Peter Parker actually created his own web fluid instead of stealing it from Oscorp.

Following his orders in Civil War, Being instructed to operate in a 'little grey area' by Stark in Homecoming, the whole premise of Homecoming being Peter wanting to impress Stark so he could become an Avenger, Constantly being told off and lectured by Stark in Homecoming, ... In Infinity War being told by Stark he does not want anymore pop culture references
    So Tony asks things of Peter and he agrees to do them, That doesn't make Peter his sidekick. Remember, Peter is still a teenager starting out and Tony has been doing this longer than he has so of course Peter would follow his lead.

And Yet, he flies around in Stark's ship, his suits are all made from Stark tech, he even inherits Stark's bodyguard... Are you seeing a pattern here? Not the new Iron Man you say? Well, he's not exactly your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is he?
    Yeah, I do say because that's the entire point of FFH. In the oh-so perfect PS4 video game, Peter made a new suit using technology from Doctor Octopus's company so I guess by that logic, He's his sidekick in that game. As for Peter not being "your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man", He certainly fit that archetype more than Garfield ever did.

Sony also made three of the absolute worst Spidey movies (SM3, Both TASM's) and Venom. Say what you will about the MCU but they are way above any of those in terms of quality. I'm sorry but I have seen nothing of Sony that makes me believe they won't do exactly as they did in their previous two Spider-Man franchises and the fact that they're most likely going to try and incorporate him into their terrible attempt at a shared universe (with Venom and Morbius) fills me with dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly. Am I the Only one who is HAPPY that Sony and Marvel have broken up ? Nothing against the diverse cast of MCU Spider-man and nothing against Tom Holland, but I am not the biggest fan of how the MCU has handled Spider-man as this entire story feels more like Miles morales tale than it does for Peter Parker’s.

I mean the majorly connected villains to the works of Iron Man, while in the comics they more individualist that took risk for their own personal gains. Yes there are some comics similarities to the MCU take on Vulture and Mysterio, but it seems more MCU than Spider-man focus in some areas.

Plus the constant REMINDERS THAT THESE FILMS ARE IN THE MCU AND HOW MUCH THEY FOUCS ON TONY STARK AND NOT PETER PARKER. They even used one of Spider-man earliest feats of strength moments for the MCU focused film.

And don’t get me started on the Spider-man suit in the MCU....

Plus the various REASONS behind the diverse casting and how we were denied any CLASSIC LOOKING SUPPORTING SPIDER-MAN CAST.

Oh and before I forget: MCU SPIDER-MAN BROKE THE TIMELINE OF THE OVERALL MCU.

Am I really the only one who thinks that maybe Miles Morales would have been a better fit for the MCU than Peter Parker in this case ?

Am I the only one who doesn’t like how the MCU handled SPider-man ?

As SPider-man fans what do you think of this. ?
    You are not alone. I for one detest the idea that they presented Peter Parker as some sort of Iron Man fanboy.