Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman's Pal Jimmy-Olsen issue 2 spoiler discussion

This book is amazing, and I'm slowly becoming convinced that I, in a werewolf-like transform, actually become Matt Fraction. It's the only explanation for a book that is SOOOOO much for me.

There has never been a better case as to why--over of everyone--Superman calls Jimmy Olsen his pal. Jimmy brings this out of him, and Fraction makes it clear that he's genuinely having an amazing time with his best friend. Then later when he has to go and he knows Jimmy's feeling down, he tries to help, and it doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

The majority of this issue is just straight up Jimmy and his best friend, who happens to be Superman, just kickin it, and damn if that sh!t don't slap hard!!!

I'll just say it: Superman needed this book and this singular issue nearly as much as Jimmy needed this whole run. This is actual gold.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

My actual thoughts on the book: *ahem* READ THIS GOT DAMN BOOK! READ IT NOW! Do you freakin hear?! You think this a got damn game?? Look at me! LOOK. AT. ME. Every time--every single time-- you don't read this book, a puppy gets denied all the good boy/good girl pats. You heard me. And you know what? You can't prove that it's NOT the case. Sleep with that on your conscience, you monsters.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-21-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeah. This was a great issue. The scene on the DP roof is fantastic. The ability to convince anyone to buy him a hot dog is the only expansion of Superman’s powers I will accept. And that little vignette of Clark, Jimmy, and Lois in fatigues and beat up is a story I need to see.

Great book.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This issue was SO GOOD. I didnt think they could improve upon the first issue but they did!

And Pawquaman! My next pet now has a name.

LMAO this was another great issue! Can I just say that I absolutely LOVE the way Lieber draws Metropolis! Looks gorgeous, a mix of Art Deco and 50s retro future. My favorite panel was actually the one with Lois, Jimmy, and Clark as war correspondents with Jimmy all beat up, really tugged at the heart strings. I also loved Jimmy and Clark goofing off on the Daily Planet roof and Clark saying why he likes hanging out with Jimmy.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Finally got around to it and I'm already ready for an absolute edition. The last few weeks have been difficult so I needed a fun read like this.

I like it. One complaint is that we see more of these one panel vignettes of Jimmy's crazy adventures. I would like to see one complete adventure like that.

Then again those panels brought a good chuckle. My favorite one was Jimmy horsing around, literally. At first i couldn't see where Jimmy was. And then i saw that little bow. Lol.

Kudos shall be given to the art. I really enjoyed it. Superman's costume really looked great.

My favorite part was on the rooftop with Supes. This is a side of Superman we don't see much. And i am really looking forward to the Lois and Jimmy team-up.

Astonishing Member

Matt Fraction has Jimmy Olsen nailed!

I don't like how Jimmy's backstory keeps changing with absolutely no rhyme or reason? And I think the reason is that Jimmy never needed a backstory enough for one to matter. So what was his previous backstory? Like he was raised by an alcoholic mom who died when he was young, and then his rich deadbeat dad gave him a penthouse in an ill-conceived attempt to make up for having missed his whole childhood, but remained absent. I kinda liked that one, but that was like the sixth retcon of Jim's backstory to begin with, so I'm not that surprised it didn't stick around. Now, he's like a rich kid struggling with professional life, he's got a Luthoresque brother and their mom apparently won a Nobel prize?

Don't get me wrong, none of it takes away from how fundamentally fun, cool, and emotional this series has managed to be. It even managed to get in a substantial political dispute in a subtle way, with regard to Luthor's desire to connect the "outer bouroughs" to the working city center while Julian wants the city itself to be a thriving place where people live as well as work! I think that's really well done, and Jim's relationship with Kal is really working for me too! It's goofy and silly and fun, with plenty of poignancy under the surface to keep me truly invested as well.

"Some nights, Jim? Horsing around with you is the only fun I get to have."

(I do question the wisdom of Kal straight up telling Jim that people don't recognize him if he wears glasses tho)

But I think the drive to give Jimmy a more than cursory backstory is somewhat ill-conceived, because I think the more often you retcon or reboot a character, the more likely they are to be retconned or rebooted in the future. It's happened before to Superman, to Luthor, to Metallo... lots of super-characters.

On the other hand, Matt Fraction's a pretty big name, and this seems shaping up to be a pretty popular story, so maybe Julian will become a consistent part of Olsen Lore for all future generations. I just wouldn't bet on it.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't like how Jimmy's backstory keeps changing with absolutely no rhyme or reason? And I think the reason is that Jimmy never needed a backstory enough for one to matter. So what was his previous backstory? Like he was raised by an alcoholic mom who died when he was young, and then his rich deadbeat dad gave him a penthouse in an ill-conceived attempt to make up for having missed his whole childhood, but remained absent. I kinda liked that one, but that was like the sixth retcon of Jim's backstory to begin with, so I'm not that surprised it didn't stick around. Now, he's like a rich kid struggling with professional life, he's got a Luthoresque brother and their mom apparently won a Nobel prize?

Don't get me wrong, none of it takes away from how fundamentally fun, cool, and emotional this series has managed to be. It even managed to get in a substantial political dispute in a subtle way, with regard to Luthor's desire to connect the "outer bouroughs" to the working city center while Julian wants the city itself to be a thriving place where people live as well as work! I think that's really well done, and Jim's relationship with Kal is really working for me too! It's goofy and silly and fun, with plenty of poignancy under the surface to keep me truly invested as well.

"Some nights, Jim? Horsing around with you is the only fun I get to have."

(I do question the wisdom of Kal straight up telling Jim that people don't recognize him if he wears glasses tho)

But I think the drive to give Jimmy a more than cursory backstory is somewhat ill-conceived, because I think the more often you retcon or reboot a character, the more likely they are to be retconned or rebooted in the future. It's happened before to Superman, to Luthor, to Metallo... lots of super-characters.

On the other hand, Matt Fraction's a pretty big name, and this seems shaping up to be a pretty popular story, so maybe Julian will become a consistent part of Olsen Lore for all future generations. I just wouldn't bet on it.
    Honestly I don’t worry about that anymore. This is a standalone story that introduces you to Jimmy, Superman, and Metropolis without having to care about current continuity just like Fraction’s Hawkeye run did. As long as it stays entertaining that’s all I care about.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly I don’t worry about that anymore. This is a standalone story that introduces you to Jimmy, Superman, and Metropolis without having to care about current continuity just like Fraction’s Hawkeye run did. As long as it stays entertaining that’s all I care about.
    Yeah, I mean, even though you have stuff like Leone running the paper, you also see things like Lois working at the Planet, so Fraction's not being completely beholden to the Bendis status quo.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Always Rakzo

This continues to be a Matt Fraction book all right... for all the right and wrong reasons.

I really like the fact that Fraction is bringing the backstory of Jimmy's family and making it more important than ever while the rest of the plot is based on silly Silver Age-like adventures which the book itself acknowledges but at the same time, Fraction's style can be pretty overwhelming due that it tries to be quirky even when it's not necessary (The scenes with Superman are especially goofy), not to mention that the story follows an unconventional pattern that is really forced. This is weird because I believe Fraction executed this mix of tones better in Hawkeye, here is all over the place.

The art is good and appropriate but aside from that, this is the kind of series that I like better for its premise rather than for its execution.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Even if I like what looks like a Thor gag, I just can't enjoy crossing that little line.

Otherwise I think it's a great comic. I don't think my initial reservations are unfounded now... I mean he is completrly changing character history and forcing the quirk, but it just can't stop him from doing right and Lieber is unbelieberble. The way he handles art seems like what makes Fraction throw such crazy scenes at him, and it all really works. I'm just as interested in the discussions with Lex as I am the zany stuff.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    This continues to be a Matt Fraction book all right... for all the right and wrong reasons.

I really like the fact that Fraction is bringing the backstory of Jimmy's family and making it more important than ever while the rest of the plot is based on silly Silver Age-like adventures which the book itself acknowledges but at the same time, Fraction's style can be pretty overwhelming due that it tries to be quirky even when it's not necessary (The scenes with Superman are especially goofy), not to mention that the story follows an unconventional pattern that is really forced. This is weird because I believe Fraction executed this mix of tones better in Hawkeye, here is all over the place.

The art is good and appropriate but aside from that, this is the kind of series that I like better for its premise rather than for its execution.
    I believe Fraction has said that’s he's trying to copy the structure of the Silver Age Jimmy Olsen series where there were often numerous little mini stories in one issue.