View Poll Results: In what context do you enjoy Dick Grayson more?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman's world

31 30.10%
  • The larger DCU

72 69.90%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Same with everyone. Larger DCU. If only because he keeps being tied to Batman and it affects his book directly. Not that his stories won't get derailed if he's tied to larger DCU event, as Infinite Crisis proved, but it's a far larger interval than Batman events.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the more characters operating in the wider DC universe independently, not chained to the Batman and the Trinity, the better. I'm starting to become of the mind that no hero should stay Batcentric in Gotham besides Robin, everyone else who isn't Robin should be allowed to graduate and make their own way in the wider DC landscape eventually.
    ^This. Honestly I find Nightwing much more enjoyable when he is out doing his own things.

I voted Greater DCU cos I think that's what best for him however I got into comics with B&R Reborn. Dick and Damian are my favourite comic characters by far and those stories are my absolute favourite comic stories.

I've enjoyed Dick the most in batman-centric material
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-22-2019 at 03:04 PM.

DCU, part of his charm is seeing him interact with other characters.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I think of Dick as a Batman character that has many ties to the wider DCU and is also a central character to the Titans.

I also think a lot of people are bitter about how badly Dick has been mis-managed by the Bat-Offices as of late.

I think it's hilarious this got moved to the Batman board. I guess we know where the moderation team stands.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Once he becomes Nightwing, his solo title should largely take place in the wider DCU, along with his regular role as leader of the Titans. Though he should still frequently guest star in the Bat-books and be brought in for the really big events (provided they are written well). He should always be acknowledged as Batman's #1 ally, even if he isn't a Gotham regular anymore. He will always be there if he's needed

No Bludhaven at all. He frequently travels and if he has to have a semi-permanent home, it should be wherever the Titans are.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    I think it's hilarious this got moved to the Batman board. I guess we know where the moderation team stands.
    10 char.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Once he becomes Nightwing, his solo title should largely take place in the wider DCU, along with his regular role as leader of the Titans. Though he should still frequently guest star in the Bat-books and be brought in for the really big events (provided they are written well). He should always be acknowledged as Batman's #1 ally, even if he isn't a Gotham regular anymore. He will always be there if he's needed

No Bludhaven at all. He frequently travels and if he has to have a semi-permanent home, it should be wherever the Titans are.
    I don't see why he couldn't be both. If anything Titans should be where his wider-DCU role flourishes.

He gets treated terribly regardless if he is a Batman or a DCU character. He gets dragged into JL events and is treated like garbage just like he is in Batman events. Both departments have no clue what to do with him and manage him so badly. So there is really no differentiation there. The Titans are as useless in my eyes as Bludhaven in terms of ever being relevant or mattering, so it comes down to which aspect do I dislike the most and wish it was removed. At the end of the day I dislike Bludhaven the most and wish Dick was separated from it. So I'd lean towards him being a DCU character first if that means Bludhaven is gone from his stories.

Of course I think the Batman line is always going to be stronger so his book will probably sell better being attached to the Batman line, but I still would rather him be a DCU character first I think.

To follow up on my prior post (I love both and can't choose one over the other), I feel the same way about Batman himself.

I enjoy him equally much in his own books and in his appearances across the DCU.

Astonishing Member

Robin works best as a Batman character, Nightwing works best as a Titans or solo character.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Ha! I see what you did there, mods

I don't know who did it, but moving a thread about whether Dick Grayson works better in Batman's orbit or the larger DCU from the DCU Forum to the Batman Forum is a pretty strong way of indicating which one you prefer

I'll be curious to see if the poll results are going to quickly move from heavily favoring Dick being in the DCU to Batman now that the poll has changed forums

Fantastic Member

Dick should be in the greater dcu like barbara and selina as well. They should be awknolodged when batman needs help but not superman level they can come back for an arc but it should just be bruce and damian in the city with alfred and commisioner gordon and the gcpd and villians that are not international like Ra's and Bane

When you get down to it, the NTT era was the best time for Dick. Even now, we're getting Titans, Young Justice, Teen Titans vs. Teen Titans GO!, etc., all inspired by NTT in some way and arguably doing more with Dick than more Bat-centric series ever have, i.e. the DCAU, The Batman, etc.

That's not to say we never get good stories when he is involved with Batman of course, but I think the character would be better off right now if he was more DCU-centric.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Ha! I see what you did there, mods

I don't know who did it, but moving a thread about whether Dick Grayson works better in Batman's orbit or the larger DCU from the DCU Forum to the Batman Forum is a pretty strong way of indicating which one you prefer

I'll be curious to see if the poll results are going to quickly move from heavily favoring Dick being in the DCU to Batman now that the poll has changed forums
    This is hilarious, but also a little sad lol.