View Poll Results: In what context do you enjoy Dick Grayson more?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman's world

31 30.10%
  • The larger DCU

72 69.90%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Retired

Looks like the CBR moderators decided how they think it should go when they moved this poll over from the "DC Comics" forum to the "Batman" forum.

Mighty Member

i voted larger DCU
    The main reason is that I like him as the leader of the Titans.
    I also like him best when he is with Koriand'r.
    I am a Dick/Kory fan since about a year ago.
    For many years since the late 1990s, I was a Dick/Babs fan.

I would love to see Dick going back to the Titans as leader with Kory second in command.

Of course, I enjoyed Teen Titans: Judas Contract animated movie because of them.
    Last edited by Starrius; 08-29-2019 at 06:37 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Extraordinary Member

To me his connection to the Batfamily feels much more important then to the rest of the DCU.

We had in the past good stories of hi teaming up with other Batfamily members, but I don't really recall many good stories of him with the Titans since Graduation Day.

NOTE: This thread was originally started back on 08-21-2019.
    ---------------------------------
    With 69 votes at present,
    * The larger DCU = 54 votes
    * Batman's world = 15 votes

I mean Dick's been shown to be well respected by many members of JL and villains. It's a shame we don't get to see much of this respect. If Bateditors and even Taylor since he said Batfam will only appear. Open up Nightwing's world it really shows why he is worthy of the truth people give him. Like if they can't have other characters in his books. why not a team up book. Him and Diana fighting crime or Booster Gold and him. Characters that you don't often see him with would be nice.

If they put Dick/Babs together they are going to need to fix what does she bring to him and his world. BY that yea she is a tech expert but if he is with the Titans he already has several people with him that can do that. They have to open her world too. Because she only really works in Gotham and if they are together he most likely will be moved back there too. Unless what Tom is doing she works in Bludhaven which is great. Bludhaven needs more heroes.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-19-2021 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I agree with Tom King that Dick Grayson is the fourth pillar of the DCU and he's always been one of my very favorite characters.

I can't choose one or the other. I love him being back and forth between the two.
    ^Pretty much this.^

He does so well in both roles, I honestly can't decide between the two.

Amazing Member

I picked Batman in the poll, but overall I’d say I’d prefer to see Dick be Nightwing, a hero in his own right doing his own stuff on his own. I doubt that’ll ever happen, but that’s what I would like the most.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Ideally he can be part of both, but until the Bat office stops using him as Bruce's punching bag for trauma, get him the hell away from those editors.
    If atnt. Decided to sell off Batman as an IP
    Nightwing would go with it.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, there isn't a concrete answer to this.

I feel that because the Batman franchise is so overwhelming in its power and influence within DC/WB today, the answer will lean towards Dick being a Batman-centric character. But I think if you look at him as a character, and his history, I would lean towards him being a more DC-centric character, albeit with one foot always in Batman's world.

Dick Grayson's life as Nightwing began because Marv Wolfman and co. wanted to make him a DCU-centric character. Otherwise, Dick would likely have stayed Robin forever (and with a reduced role within the Batman franchise since the 70's saw a push towards Batman as a solo character that only gained more traction in the decades since).

Yes, the NTT glory days didn't last forever and Nightwing eventually got folded back into the Bat-family...but for the most part, I'd argue that he's always been kept at arms-length from Batman's world, to a large extent because of locating him in Bludhaven rather than Gotham. And later on, with stuff like Spyral. The most intertwined Dick has been with the Bat-mythos in recent years/decades has been when he became Batman under Morrison - and even that is treated more like a temporary homecoming in the larger scheme of things, and less like his ultimate destiny.

Let's also not forget that it took a Titans TV show to get Dick back into live-action after 20 years!

Honestly, if the DCU progressed 'naturally', without consideration of brands, I'd have Dick take Bruce's place in the larger DCU, as a Justice League member and the guy who's involved in the big earth-shattering events and Crises. Given how modern Batman is largely Gotham-focused (if not obsessed), I think Dick can fill the niche vacated by the Bronze Age Batman - a street-level hero who nonetheless can mix it up with the world's most powerful superheroes, and who is generally well-liked, admired and trusted by all his peers. Well, of course that's never gonna really happen because, you know, Batman is Batman. But I'd still like Dick to be a throwback of sorts to the Bronze Age Batman, at least personality-wise, and have a larger role in the DCU in general...while still semi-frequently coming home.

Larger DCU, and I feel the same goes for all adult members of the Batfamily.

Dick, Jason, Kate, Luke, and Helena shouldn't be restricted to Gotham and the Batfamily. I mean, Azrael isn't. If it makes sense for them to go outside of Gotham and have adventures with other DC heroes more often, then good.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Going back to this poll, I think the answer that I want is larger DCU doesn't mean he can't connect with Bat fam and Bat fam doesn't mean he has to be limited to Bat fam.
    Just make it make sense, don't limit it to branding. Branding is useful when you're marketing but it shouldn't limit the characters.
    Example, there's a Bat family event, Nightwing is a Bat fam, so he gets promoted alongside
    Then there's a DCU event, Nightwing is a DCU hero, so he gets promoted alongside
    This applies to all characters with similar involvement with DCU and their own family

Astonishing Member

Why does Dick seem to be the only character saddled with this question? Is this because of shipping?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Why does Dick seem to be the only character saddled with this question? Is this because of shipping?
    Dick's the only character who was successful enough at one point to almost escape from orbit. No one else has come close but even Dick has been sucked back in as a subservient character.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Dick's the only character who was successful enough at one point to almost escape from orbit. No one else has come close but even Dick has been sucked back in as a subservient character.
    If they'd nurtured and used the Titans IP properly in the 80's and 90's, Dick would have become fully independent. They didn't, and as a result Dick's regressed massively. There's a great difference in how a character is treated by the higher ups when the character is a supporting cast member, and not a headlining act.

They seem to be trying again to reinvigorate the Titans as an IP, but I suspect nothing short of an actual film would bring the mainstream attention that would restore the Titans to cultural significance. Making a film however is a massive financial risk.

Incredible Member

It's kind of a cop-out but the true answer is both. He doesn't work if you remove him completely from the Batman world and he doesn't work if you remove his history with the Titans. Luckily, since Batman takes place in the DCU, we don't have to choose.