Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

How long have you been an X-fan?

Have you ever thought about quitting or do you know people who quit?

Do you think you are going to read them until you die? what keeps you here?
    1. Since 1991 when I picked up X-Men #1 and Uncanny #281.

2. In the last 10 years, all the time.

3. Probably, because I'm an addict.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

More of a Wolverine fan than an X-Men one, got into comics from reading The Punisher MAX, wanted something as morbid and violent so i picked up Old Man Logan, from there i jumped around the place going from Enemy of the State to Weapon X and finally started collecting around 2014 starting with death of Wolverine.

I could see myself giving up the movie/cartoon stuff, slogging through a bunch of mostly mediocre films till Logan is enough for me, might be interested if they faithfully adapt EOTS but otherwise i'm fine with not watching them after FOX's run, just like i did with Maguire's Spiderman.

As for the comics i'd stop buying them if they became digital only, other than that i'll continue reading any dogshit Wolverine books Marvel publishes.
    Last edited by Mr Abductor; 08-22-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Never thought of giving it up. I can't say it's a passion but some stories i get very passionate about. Its a feel good break.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I. Became a fan of what I knew as The New X-Men sometime in the late seventies, I guess - I'd had a few Cockrum issues over the years, and loved Cyclops and Wolverine, but Byrne drawing moved things to a whole new level. Didn't really have a chance to follow the stories until the Smith/John Romita JR years though, when comic shops became a thing in the UK.

2. My fandom waned when I noticed Claremont's dialogue starting to become horribly mannered near the end of JRjr's run, and the overblown sexy posing and strutting of the Silvestri years signalled the end both of the X-Men as underdogs and my love for the series.

3. I guess I'll always check in on them, though the characters no longer feel real to me. I pick up the odd trade here and there, and I'm still interested in what's happening to characters I used to like, but it's not the same. I like to see the passion of the fan-base though, it reminds me of how I used to feel about the group. I still think the original X-Men run from Byrne up to the end of JRjr is outstanding comics, though.

I've been a fan since the early 90s; so pretty much my whole life.

I think about it all the time. I did stop for awhile post Zero Tolerance and started back up with Morrison. I didn't think about quitting again till Bendis's run. I felt that was the start of a lack of direction for the franchise, on top of the fact Marvel was anti-Mutants for a bit. Ironically, Bendis then outs Iceman; which has maintained my interest (mostly through Sina Grace's Iceman series) to keep interest.

I'm on the quitting patch; I can't go cold turkey. My interest has lessened; however I will be a fan till I die, I even have a tattoo. Will I read till I die? I question why I support something if I didn't feel the quality was good; that said Hickman certainly feels like he is re-energizing the the franchise. I think it will be best determined once HoX/PoX and I get a better since of where the franchise is going. I've certainly cut back the amount of X-titles I get. I feel like if I break now it's likely for good. I have to prioritize my spending now that I'm in adulthood. haha. So future finances also depend on if this is something even worth spending money on. As for what keeps... I believe in the messaging of the X-Men, I think when written well it's smarter and far more important than all superhero comics, I think it helps kids or fans keep dreaming and fighting for a better world, and allows loners/outsiders of any nature to feel there is a sense of belonging within the series and somewhere in the world at large.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Ive quit multiple times. Its sucked quite a bit in the past 20 years

Longtime reader(early Claremont).

Stopped reading in 2004, haven't looked back.

My very first issue from when I was a little kid was Uncanny 175. I must have read that issue a thousand times. I became a regular reader a few years later during the Mutant Massacre days. I slowly accumulated the entire Claremont run.

I stuck with the book long after he left, and long after I stopped enjoying it. I learned the lesson to not be a completionist sometime in the 300s. I stopped buying the books at that point.

I’ve come back at different points. But it’s mostly been about the creators involved. I love the characters and concepts, but without a solid writer, they’re just not enough.

The last time I read the book regularly was the Morrison run and then the Whedon run. I checked in for a bit a couple times after that....for Brubaker and Fraction and Gillen, mostly....and despite some cool elements, I never stuck around for long.

I came back for Hickman’s run because he’s a strong writer and they seemed committed to a relaunch that would move things forward. So far so good. I’m in for HoX/PoX, and will buy the main book after, and maybe check out a couple of the others.

I’ll read the books as long as I find them interesting and entertaining. If that stops, I’ll drop them immediately. There’s sure to be another comic out there that will hold my interest. My loyalty these days is to quality, not a specific property.

You know, I'm honestly not sure what the first X-book I read was. It might have been Academy X. It also could have been the Decimation-era X-Force. Could have been Whedon's Astonishing. Could have been PAD's X-Factor Investigations. That gives you a timeframe at least.

Kieron Gillen is what got me reading Uncanny. I haven't really been a reader since the end of Bendis' run, but I'm back on board for HOXPOX. I think I'll be on and off with the X-Men depending on what the actual line is. I can't imagine being one of those people that keeps reading books when they don't like them.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I can't imagine being one of those people that keeps reading books when they don't like them.
    I learned how bad that can get from experience. When I realized that I hadn't even bothered to read most of the two-years worth of Green Lantern comics I bought, I culled most of my pull list. More disinterest than active dislike, but sometimes you buy things out of habit for a long time.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Been a fan since I was a kid so I can't imagine losing interest in X-men as a franchise. In terms of keeping up with the comics? Hm. I am for now but I share the sentiment that if I lose interest in the stories I wont spend my money on them. A part of me will always want to check in though

Spectacular Member

How long have you been an X-fan? I've been reading X-Men on and off since about 1988. I really loved Excalibur because it had my favorite character: Nightcrawler. Turns out that time period (late Eighties into the early Nineties) was Kurt's heyday. My interest has waned whenever he's been sidelined, which means most of the time. Claremont and Davis clearly liked the character but writers since then do not seem very interested.

Have you ever thought about quitting or do you know people who quit? I have quit and then purchased issues here and there many times. I get tired of the same characters hogging the spotlight, so when yet another storyline gets hijacked by Wolverine/Magneto/Xavier, I quickly get bored and tune out. I'm sure there is some mandate that Wolverine has to be a major component in every major storyline, or new writers grew up loving Logan so much they decided they would focus on him. I believe it been a major detriment to the X-Men that so much focus is given to Wolverine - he just sucks all the air out of the room. Wouldn't it be cool if Rogue/Storm/Nightcralwer/Colossus/the White Queen or anyone else were allowed to shine for a year or two without Logan stealing their focus? I just don't think Marvel has it in them to sideline him like that. Yeah, yeah, he died not too long ago and we got Old Man Logan in his place, but the books sucked anyways. It would appear the average writer is unable to concoct a story without Logan. I think the movies had a lot to do with this mentality, even as bad as they were.

Do you think you are going to read them until you die? Yes, I think I will randomly check in to see how Kurt is holding up. I'm consistently disappointed. Heck, I'd like some of the other "secondary" characters to make waves in a good story if not Nightcrawler, but it doesn't happen too often. For instance, with this current storyline, I haven't heard much noise from Kurt. I saw his hands plant some a seed on Mars and it looks like he's on some sort of task force, but I'll believe it when I see it that he has a major role to play in the current story line.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I wonder if the X-men are a life long passion. I joined on 2015 and since then I can't imagine how would everything be without reading these books, it should be worst for older people with longer time invested on this.
    So i wanted to know some things if you are kind of enough to answer.
    20-25 years
    no
    yes its what i do
    Last edited by steve2275; 08-23-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

I did, TWICE! I grew up during the Claremont era and as things were slipping into the Blue/Gold team and X-Force I lost interest because things were becoming a bit too "action figure" for me. I was also in high school at that point so I figured I had to put away my comics and other juvenile hobbies and start being "more mature."

When I heard Joss Weadon was writing for Astonishing I had to come back to read it as a huge Buffy fan. I stayed for the whole 12 issue run and also read New X-Men, eXiles, New Mutants Vol 2, and Academy X at that point. But I left soon after House of M because I knew I was spending too much money on comics as a broke 20-something.

Now in my 40's a couple of years ago I stumbled onto a picture of Magik with other X-Men. I was like "WTF?!?" because she was my favorite mutant from the Claremont era. Ironically I had juuuust missed the Quest for Magik storyline which might have kept me reading that second time. I deep dove into Marvel Unlimited and read the entire X-catalog so I could connect the dots in the years I missed and just wrapped that in the spring of this year. Now I collect trades of my favorite runs and here I am!

Likely will keep tabs on things even if I'm not reading on the regular. It's just so easy now with digital reading where back in the day it felt like you had to spend hundreds of dollars to play catch up if you lapsed.

I've been an X-Men fan since I was 5 (born in 1994).

I've never quit and I never will.

Even if current books are not as enjoyable (pre-Hickman because House/Powers of X is fireeee), there are so many books in X-Men history I can find and read and enjoy.
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella