Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

How long have you been an X-fan?

For several decades to this precise moment. The characters and concept are once and forever deep in my heart.

Have you ever thought about quitting or do you know people who quit?

Actually, I'm not buying any X-title right now. In fact, since I first quit in early 90's (after CC left X-Men and Excalibur, and Blevins left TNM), I've never been back for long again: I've been in and out with XFI, WaTXM, X-Statix, Well's TNM... A bite here and there, every now and then.

It seems like I'm not the only one.

Do you think you are going to read them until you die? what keeps you here?

What can I say. I simply love these damn muties. I maybe quit their comic-books, but I never quit them and I'm keeping up-to-date thanks to this great forum

I discovered the X-Men in the mid/late 90s and have been a fan ever since. I quit reading in the 00s. Came back because of UMVC3 but I read only 1 or 2 books now instead of all of them.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I've been a fan since the 90s cartoon and Spidey+ Amazing Friends.

I only started collecting recently but I never touched Uncanny. It was mostly Morrison, Academy books, X-Force, New Mutants, etc. Only started after Schism.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

I have been an X-Men fan since I was very little, around 1987-88.

I have quit many times when the books turned to ****, lol. It's not difficult for me and never has been, but it's also not as simple as cold turkey. I left the main books shortly after Claremont in '91 - I kept reading semi-regularly for a bit and kept tabs for a long time, but picking it up every month was no longer a priority. The writing had quickly gone very bad; I stayed with X-Force a lot longer. The 90s was largely ****, though the X-Men were never bigger.

I came back to various books on and off through the 90s during rare good periods (AoA, Waid, Ellis Excalibur, Loeb X-Force, early Onslaught) - I would still pick up issues of each book, I'd pick up a cover or story if it intrigued me, but I def was not committed full time again until Grant Morrison. Left again around Decimation. Bad was bad.

I have always still intermittently picked up X-books after leaving, throughout each era. Or I'd regularly pick up runs on single books I enjoyed (Whedon, Carey, Aaron on WATXM, Gillen's Uncanny, Remender). I enjoyed AVX as well. Read a little Bendis afterward, though it was quickly clear he was still burnt out and past it. Dropped them all completely not long after that, and have not read since. Until now. The trend at Marvel to marginalize the X-books has been clear for many years and I got tired of the cyclical disappointment and grinding, repetitive storytelling about misery, nostalgia (O5, Wolverine dead and alive again), stupid AU character variants, etc. I felt no risk was being taken and no real investment was there from the company.

I've always loved the X-Men and always will, even when I felt there was little or no hope for the line to fully improve, as I had felt roughly from Decimation until HoX. There were some bright lights in that timespan - Carey, Remender, Gillen, AVX as an event - and stories and teams I enjoyed, but no systemic change for the larger universe like the risks the books once took under Morrison/Quesada/Jemas, or when I was very young. That's hopefully changing now.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Thanks for the replies!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I wonder if the X-men are a life long passion. I joined on 2015 and since then I can't imagine how would everything be without reading these books, it should be worst for older people with longer time invested on this.
    So i wanted to know some things if you are kind of enough to answer.

How long have you been an X-fan?
    28 years.

Have you ever thought about quitting or do you know people who quit?
    Yes, and yes. I quit the books in 2004 because of Scemma. I started following the comics again--though not buying them--a couple of years ago once I learned Scemma was over. I'm picking up House of X and Powers of X currently and plan to finish both series. Whether I stick around past that depends on the new status quo those series set up.

But, I'm giving thought to quitting anyway. With the ending of Rosenberg's UXM #22, I finally got closure to the mess Morrison made, and, while I've enjoyed what Hickman's doing so far, it's still not the X-Men I grew up with or a real continuation thereof. The X-Men stories I most want to read--the X-Men aging, having kids who then grow up as the next generation of X-Men, the X-Men growing as an institution beyond just the school and superheroing--are the stories Marvel will never, ever publish. I've gotten all I'm going to get. With the "Extinction era" over, I'm finally satisfied with where my favorite characters are. Hickman seems to be moving the franchise in a new direction--which IMO is much needed--for a different audience. The comics franchise is at an inflection point, and it feels to me like a good time to make a clean break and move on.

Of my circle of friends who used to read X-Men, I'm one of two to still pay attention to the comics at all. The other is my former English Literature professor from college who buys everything Marvel. The rest quit in the early 2000s, several for the same reason I did.

Of the old RACMX Usenet fandom I used to argue X-Men with way back when, most have long since faded away. Only a handful still have a presence in online X-Men fandom. Our time is over and has been for a long time.

Do you think you are going to read them until you die?
    The old stuff--the stories I grew up with--yes. The new stuff, no.

what keeps you here?
    Spoilers. The occasional discussion of substance. The chance to engage the few fans who share my preferences.

Yes, I'm done with the comics and probably will be forever since we'll never see pre-Morrison X-Men again. No hard feelings, the X-Men should cater to the younger generation but they are no longer my X-Men and haven't been for some time.

I will say I've been having a blast going back and gradually filling out all the old X-Men issues as I can find them. I'll re-read them here and there for the rest of my life most likely.
    Last edited by uebersoldat; 08-22-2019 at 12:53 PM.

I often think of quitting many things. Magik's Schrödinger abs will never be one of them.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Excalibur: The Sword Is Drawn (1988) - April 01, 1988

I know the exact date because that is when I got hooked. I read the first issue and then I wanted to know everything about Rachel, Kitty, Kurt, Brian, and Meggan. I started following Rachel and Kitty's origins and collecting X-Men back issues. I started branching out into the rest of the X-line and followed the outback story but I also bought back issues that lead up to it. I picked up the first issues of the Wolverine series that spun out of the Outback storyline. I picked up X-Factor and New Mutants. I started religiously following everything that had an X in it. Crossovers with other characters, and I started following other Marvel characters at the time. I started getting curious about some of the DC stuff and I collected the original Batgirl and Huntress series in the 90's.

When I stopped collecting in 1995 it was just getting too expensive to keep collecting the entire X-line alone and I had so many boxes of comics. I ended up selling my entire collection when I was between apartments for a few months. Part of it was also that my favorite character was completely gone (Rachel) and I was upset that she had been totally written out of the entire line.

I followed the comics on the Internet reading recaps and just keeping up on the stories occasionally over the years. Then I saw the crossover between Blue and Gold in Mojoworld with Rachel and I wanted to know exactly how she came back so I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited. I proceeded to read back on everything Rachel, Emma, Jean, and Kitty who were my top four favorite characters. I found out that Jean Grey fans got shafted just as much as us Rachel fans got shafted and Jean was written out for years just like Rachel was.

I started buying up to date issues because I didn't want to wait 6 months for the X-books to hit Marvel Unlimited. If it's a crossover with other comics I usually just wait till it gets to Marvel Unlimited. But I am buying X-comics up to date in digital format and I just read them on my tablet. I miss the tangible feeling of the comic itself, but I honestly don't know if I want to accumulate boxes of comics again, I know some of them eventually go up in value but it's actually a bit of a pain to sell them and I love having all my comics available on my tablet wherever I go.

I am definitely all in on the X-line again. I know my digital pull list is going to be X-Men, Maruaders, X-Force, and Excalibur for sure. I'll decide later if I just want to read New Mutants and Fallen Angels on Marvel Unlimited.

My greatest wish for the future of the X-Men is that Rachel fans, Jean fans, and Emma fans can all be happy because not one of them gets written out and the three characters even get to occasionally talk to each other. I just want Rachel, Jean, and Emma to remain active on different books indefinitely. They will always be my top 3 and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Incredible Member

Did more than think about it. I did it. Haven't bought one since NXM 131. 2003?. Before that, read them for the better part of 30 years. A couple of short breaks in there. Once for a year another for two. Not about real dissatisfaction with the books, though. And I got the issues I missed. Hard to completely cut the emotional cord about characters I cared about for so long. It's why I never completely abandoned message forums. Not for any really lengthy period, anyway. Same as a couple others. Read some about Hickman. Might be good, but doesn't read like my X Men. Not that I'd go back, anyway. The fix to what Morrison did would need to be a lot more than what we got. And that's just Morrison. But I never really worry about that since I can't get past Morrison and they were never undoing that.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

Started getting comics in 1990 and been pretty faithful ever since. Took a break after Secret Wars when the books were basically unreadable as anti Cyclops fodder. Couldn't justify it. I did still read these boards but my wallet was shut.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

Started way back in the day when my dad introduced me to Storm, but wasn't a "dedicated" reader. Read off and on for some time until about 2000 when I started college the first time. Came back the year before last and have pretty much been reading since, dropping off here or there depending on my classes.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

I've been a fan since I was a teen in the 80's. I started with my brother's old copies of Excalibur and then backtracked and bought reprints of Giant-sized and all that came after up to the 90's. I watched all the animations even though I wasn't a kid anymore. Since then it's been on again / off again. I didn't have time for comics at all while in college, picked it up again for a bit and then dropped it while in graduate school. I have always been a big Nightcrawler fan and quit reading for a time after Kurt died (also my poor postgraduate period and job hunting anyway).

I like relationship driven comics along with the action, so contrary to popular opinion, I'm not that thrilled with Hickman so far. I might change my mind afterward these initial books, but if comics continue to ignore personal development for nothing but action driven stories I will lose interest again. Getting to know the characters is important to me, so PoX killing off Rasputin and Cardinal so fast is a big turn off for me. Why should I care about them? They were given such a big build-up, but we were never given a chance to know them in the first place. Like some modern movies, action without character development just leaves me flat. We shall see what the new wave of books brings and I will tell you whether I will continue to read or find other things to occupy my time.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Have enjoyed the X-Men since I watched the '90s cartoon. But didn't really get into the comics until after X-Men Evolution, and the second Singer film.

I have quit, and started up again several times. If a book ceases to hold my interest I drop it without issue, if I hear something good things about something I'm not reading anymore I might pick it up again. I don't think I've finished the entirety of a creator-run to be honest, maybe a few of the shorter ones but things get tiresome quickly within indefinite media. There's an assumption that I have, and will always care about specific characters. So a lot of otherwise talented creators go large stretches of issues without trying to make me do so.

I might keep coming, and going if the wallet allows. Until I die though? Probably not, I have many interests. X-Men comic books are a fairly low priority.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 08-22-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I started with Uncanny X-Men # 248 (Sept 1989) bought in a comic book store. I stopped reading just before Age of Apocalypse as I hated the direction. I discovered I only liked maybe one X-title a month but still felt compelled to read them all as to not miss anything.

I tried coming back a few times before ResurrXion. I don't buy every X-title now, but they are still uneven.

While I may stop reading the books again, I have never and will never stop being an X-Men fan.