Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Create your own Justice League B-Team

The main Justice League title is always going to feature the Big Guns of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, GL and, more often than not, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl.

With those characters off-limits, how would you create a B-team and what role would you give them?

For me, I'd take the general gist of what the most recent JLA title by Steve Orlando was trying to do, but tweak it more so that it doesn't feel like yet another "Batman & The Outsiders" riff, with sprinkle of what James Robinson was presumably going for in the execrable Cry For Justice cluster*&^% and a healthy dose of the old GL: Mosaic comic.

I'd focus on the B-team Trinity of Hal, Ollie & Dinah banding together a team of second stringers who are great DC characters that aren't popular enough to support solo books. Together, they would try to carry on the intent of the Hard Travelling Heroes stories by tackling more social issues through the lense of fun, exciting superhero soap opera.

The core team would be the aforementioned Hal, Ollie & Dinah, alongside Vixen, Vibe, Traci 13, and Firestorm. This mix of characters gives a lot of avenues for different kinds of stories and wildly different perspectives. While the stories would often be inevitably political, they wouldn't need to be preachy or dry. The premise would be a formerly quiet town in California is suddenly ground zero for a Multiversal blip that causes residents of multiple alternate Earths from various time periods and even planets and species to become trapped in the present day DCU. Hal, Ollie & Dinah's JLA decide to take it upon themselves to deal with the situation, by keeping the peace between the various new residents of the town (all of whom have very different ideas on how to live) while trying to figure out how to get everyone back to where they came from.

Okay, how about you guys?

As a Vixen fan, I want her on the main Justice League team with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. I'm sick and tired of her being relegated to "lesser" Justice League teams/titles that are doomed to fail and be cancelled. Years ago when she was on the main Justice League team, I think she had decent story lines.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 08-21-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

My first thought when I saw the thread title:
    250px-Justice_League_1_DC_1987.jpg

My second thought:
    250px-JLEurope1.jpg
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Green Arrow, Black Canary, Animal Man, Mr. Terrific, Dr. Fate, and Firestorm

my team would be composed mostly of characters I think should've been on the core team but often aren't for one reason or another. So I'm looking at it less as Justice League-B and more so an iteration of the core Justice League with the without regulars characters.

Cyborg (I know he's already on the team but he's been largely inconsequential, so I feel having him be the holdover could revitalize his role on the team)
    Vixen
    Nightwing
    Shazam
    Miss Martian (White Martian/YJ aesthetic)
    Starfire
    Mister Miracle
    Black Lightning(leader)
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-22-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Nightwing
    Tempest
    Donna Troy
    Flash - Wally West
    Steel - John Henry Irons
    Shazam
    Guy Gardner
    Atom - Ryan Choi
    And to throw a curveball, I'd have Guy Gardner as the leader. I'd LOVE to see how the dynamic would work.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I would just use the Titans. They are already built to be B-squaded and they aren't going to used as equal level heroes anyways. Using any other heroes lessen them in the big picture I would rather those heroes go off form original group that isn't under the influence of the Justice League. And they are standing on their own legs as heroes. To play along with the topic

Nightwing, Wally West, Tempest, Donna Troy, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy with Cyborg as the Leader because he is member of Justice league

They would be used like Young Justice is using the Outsider team this season half stealthish undercover squad/ Half public PR team. Justice League is big picture big scenario team,Titans are dealing with smaller scenarios or bending rules slight away the justice league can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The main Justice League title is always going to feature the Big Guns of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, GL and, more often than not, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl.... I'd focus on the B-team Trinity of Hal, Ollie & Dinah ....
    But wait - so Hal is in play? I get that Hal, Ollie and Dinah are a secondary Trinity, but I wouldn't call any of them B-List Leaguers - certainly not Hal as one of the founders. Clarification, please.

Vixen leads Booster, Beetle, Guy, Fire & Ice.

Martian Manhunter
    Mister Miracle
    Power Girl
    Vixen
    Cyborg
    Nightwing
    Fire
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    But wait - so Hal is in play? I get that Hal, Ollie and Dinah are a secondary Trinity, but I wouldn't call any of them B-List Leaguers - certainly not Hal as one of the founders. Clarification, please.
    The idea is to make a League made up of characters that aren't currently featured in the main Justice League title. For the foreseeable future, John Stewart will be filling the GL slot in that book, which means Hal is now available. This isn't a slight towards Hal, Ollie, or Dinah, all of whom have had notable runs in the League, which is why I think they are ideally suited to head up a team of B-List Leaguers. Since Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman are so much bigger characters than everyone else on the League, my intention is to have Hal, Ollie & Dinah serve that role with their team of B-listers. This isn't mean as a slight to those characters, rather a sign of how cool I think those three are, and how well they play off of each other. Unfortunately, Tom Taylor is seemingly the only writer at DC who understands how fun these three are together.

Nightwing
    Supergirl
    Red Tornado
    Miss Martian
    Metamorpho
    Wonder Twins
    Plastic Man
    Zatanna

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Pretty much the Titans, yeah.

but for real

Power Girl
    Nightwing
    Donna Troy
    Kyle Rayner
    Mera
    Wally West
    Hawkman

Black Canary if Ollie is in the A team, if not she's out.
    I didn't pick Hal because I automatically consider Hal is an A team default. John would be in B team if Hal's in A, but if not, my personal preference goes to Kyle.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-22-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Black Canary if Ollie is in the A team, if not she's out.
    I didn't pick Hal because I automatically consider Hal is an A team default. John would be in B team if Hal's in A, but if not, my personal preference goes to Kyle.
    If Hal was on the main book, I would have used John, too. John, Ollie & Dinah also have an interesting dynamic together and would work nicely given the Mosaic connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The idea is to make a League made up of characters that aren't currently featured in the main Justice League title....
    Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to understand the parameters and knowing that only current Leaguers are off-limits settles my confusion. I certainly never thought you were disparaging any of the aforementioned characters.

That said, I do love the idea of Hal, Ollie and Dinah as the Trinity of a League lineup - Meltzer/Bendis did a great job of showing how that might look at the beginning of their run, but then that other Trinity had to stick their noses in it.

-- Green Lantern (Hal)
    -- Hawkman
    -- Dr Light (Kimiyo)
    -- Power Girl
    -- Dr Mid-Nite (Cross)
    -- Zatanna
    -- Static

This seems like a fun grouping, but I may come up with something else this afternoon...