Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    ^ This is how the market typically responds to these types of teams. Justice League Dark and Justice League Odyssey will probably wrap up sooner rather than later, due to lack of interest, just like the last incarnation of Justice League America before them, and several other B Justice League teams. None of them seem to have much staying power, rather as individual books or as concepts in general.
    Dark has been the only "B-Team" with some staying power, the last incarnation ran for 40 issues after all. But I guess that because it is with it's focus on magic quite different from the usual B-Teams.
    Odyseey feels like something with a limited runtime. I don't see much of a reason why it should continue after the storyline about with Darkside and the Ghost sector has wrapped up.

If I was EIC, we'd definitely have a second Justice League team with its own purpose. My roster:

Black Canary
    Green Arrow
    Mera
    Zatanna
    Hawkwoman (Shayera Thal)
    Onyx
    Ya'Wara
    Steel
    Nu'Bia
    Star Sapphire
    Tomorrow Woman
    Warkiller
    Alpha Centurion
    Phantom Lady
    Black Condor
    Fire
    Ice
    Extraño

It's an eclectic mix, but I'd make it work.

With those characters off-limits, how would you create a B-team and what role would you give them?
    I decided to base a team, loosely, on Marvel’s ultimate B-team, Alpha Flight. I figured translating the OG line up into DC characters, i’d end up using nothing BUT B-level characters.
    I start w. a scenario where the JLA’s disbanded, and the Govt tries to fill the void w. their own sponsored team...:

STEEL

Like Guardian, Steel’s a patriotically themed hero, considered B-level despite packing a good bit of power. The Steel name has a JLA history, w. a former Steel dying while a member. This generation of Steel is looking to do better, as team leader.

RAMPAGE

Katherine Faulkner’s a scientist who turns into a big orange monster, same as Walter Langkowski. I gender flipped this pick, but i like it. Plus Walter once spent time in a female body. Both characters were John Byrne creations, too.

MANITOU RAVEN

This one’s pretty dead on, as Manitou is DC’s premiere Native American magic user, like Shaman. Manitou’s also a former Leaguer.

THE TORNADO TWINS

DC has a penchant for time displaced characters (Booster Gold, Starman on the JSA, Mon-El as a JLAer in a roundabout manner, Karate Kid had his own present day ongoing...) in modern times, plus flying, DC super speedsters twins are an excellent stand in for Aurora and Northstar.

GIZMO

Unlike Puck, who’s a friendly boisterous bruiser, DC’s coolest little person brings brains not brawn, and is a huge dick. Gizmo loves 3 things though; science, money, and being the best. An expunged criminal record, a fat Govt contract, and state of the art lab at the new JLA’s HQ takes care of 2 of those things. Outdoing villains who underestimated him when he was one of them will take care of the 3rd.

ICE

Ice is the Princess of a tribe of magic wielding Norsemen, and Snowbird’s the daughter of an Inuit goddess and a mortal man. This is a good pick, and we have another former Leaguer.

LAGOON BOY

Having gender flipped Rampage, I felt okay flipping this one. Lagoon Boy is the young not quite human looking aquatic character on the team, like Marinna was at one time.

And maybe if that series goes long enough, we can get S.T.R.I.P.E. in there too as the Box analogue.

The Titans are their own thing, and should NOT be a "B team" of the League. So, mine is going to have characters that may have been, at one point, associated with one group or another, but not normally thought of as a member of either.

Red Hood/Jason Todd (he was Batman on another Earth, and a member of the League)
    Supergirl (I know she's sometimes been a Titan, but its not her normal go to)
    Artemis Grace (was Wonder Woman once, but not sure if she was ever a part of either group)
    Conner Hawke
    Lilith Clay (exception, but every team needs a powerful psychic, plus she's a psychologist)
    Khaldur (Young Justice version has never been a Titan, so boo yeah!)
    Mas y Menos (team speedsters)

Well my B Team Trinity would be Phantom Storm, Lightning, and Q.
    So them alongside Hot Gates, Radio Wave, Johnny Quick, and Red Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Well my B Team Trinity would be Phantom Storm, Lightning, and Q.
    So them alongside Hot Gates, Radio Wave, Johnny Quick, and Red Arrow.
    I have never heard of any of these people besides Johnny Quick and Red Arrow.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

You've probably heard of Lightning. Black Lightning's daughter.
    As well as Q. That’s Renee Montoya.
    And Hot Gates is Big Barda
    Last edited by TheRay; 08-24-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    And maybe if that series goes long enough, we can get S.T.R.I.P.E. in there too as the Box analogue.
    Oh, that’s SHARP, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The Titans are their own thing, and should NOT be a "B team" of the League. So, mine is going to have characters that may have been, at one point, associated with one group or another, but not normally thought of as a member of either.

Red Hood/Jason Todd (he was Batman on another Earth, and a member of the League)
    Supergirl (I know she's sometimes been a Titan, but its not her normal go to)
    Artemis Grace (was Wonder Woman once, but not sure if she was ever a part of either group)
    Conner Hawke
    Lilith Clay (exception, but every team needs a powerful psychic, plus she's a psychologist)
    Khaldur (Young Justice version has never been a Titan, so boo yeah!)
    Mas y Menos (team speedsters)
    I like how you make a statement about Titans not being in the League, then use multiple Titans and Young Justice members!
    Also, for a while Dick Grayson and Donna Troy were two thirds of the JLA Trinity, w. Mon-El as the other third. That same team featured Cyborg and Starfire. There’s Precedent for Titans stepping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Oh, that’s SHARP, thanks!

I like how you make a statement about Titans not being in the League, then use multiple Titans and Young Justice members!
    Also, for a while Dick Grayson and Donna Troy were two thirds of the JLA Trinity, w. Mon-El as the other third. That same team featured Cyborg and Starfire. There’s Precedent for Titans stepping up.
    Khaldur is not Jackson. But most people, when they hear about "Teen Titans" think of the New Teen Titans (in large part thanks to the animated series that still has a strong following). And to a lesser degree, the original 5 Teen Titans as well.

^^^True...
    Each of the OG Teen Titans have been JLAers at one point or another except Garth.
    Poor Garth!

I had a brainfart, I know Lightning, but why'd you abbreviate Question to Q? that tripped me up. Also, I've never heard Big Barda called Hot Gates either, is that a thing from her stories? I don't read too much New Gods stuff.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

My first choice would be a Satellite era team of those who aren't the Big Seven.

Green Arrow (overall team leader and financier)
    Black Canary (tactical leader)
    Atom (team scientist)
    Elongated Man (and Sue Dibney, team investigators)
    Hawkwoman (high tech and weapons supplier, they are based out of a Thanagarian ship of hers, which is based wherever the hell she chooses to park it)
    Firestorm (also team scientist, thanks to Professor Stein)
    Zatanna (magical / supernatural expert)
    Red Tornado (heavy hitter)
    (I skipped HawkMAN because I was already at eight, and didn't feel the need to have two Hawks. Plus, I like her better than him. Ditto the Phantom Stranger, who was sort of unofficially a Satellite era Leaguer, because Zatanna already covers his role, and looks better in fishnets than he does.)

I love the idea of a group where Firestorm and Red Tornado and Zatanna are the 'big guns' instead of someone like Superman or Wonder Woman or Green Lantern. Where Hawkwoman is their 'space cop' and Black Canary is their scrappy street-fighter.

Where, between Ollie's money, Dinah's street contacts and hand to hand skills, Ralph and Sue's investigative talents, Shayera's tech and ship, and Ray and Professor Stein's big ol' brains, they just barely cover what Batman brings to the A-team.

That said, a League that consists entirely of *non* Satellite-era Leaguers, like Vixen, Booster Gold, Big Barda, Black Lightning, Steel, Moon Maiden and Element Woman could be fun. (Or maybe swap out one of the latter two with Black Orchid or Nightshade?)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-25-2019 at 11:58 AM.