Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Hellboy and the B.P.R.D - what’s going on?

So, between Saturn Returns, Goloski Station and The Beast of Vargu, we are really leaping around the timeline. Reminds me of the one shots of yesteryear, which is no bad thing, but I’m curious how these (and other) stories will end up being collected. Do we get collections not themed to individual years to collect these stories and the uncollected winter specials content, or do we wait until there is enough to fill a ‘62, ‘75 etc?

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    So, between Saturn Returns, Goloski Station and The Beast of Vargu, we are really leaping around the timeline. Reminds me of the one shots of yesteryear, which is no bad thing, but I’m curious how these (and other) stories will end up being collected. Do we get collections not themed to individual years to collect these stories and the uncollected winter specials content, or do we wait until there is enough to fill a ‘62, ‘75 etc?
    I suspect we'll be getting a Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1975 collection soon. With Saturn Returns, Krampusnacht, and Mood Swings we're just one issue short of a full trade.

I think it resembling the approach of yesteryear is evidence of Mignola taking a more active role in the series. It's how he's always worked, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I think it resembling the approach of yesteryear is evidence of Mignola taking a more active role in the series. It's how he's always worked, right?
    Yeah, it feels very familiar.

Ah, the winsome appeal of nostalgia. I'll be honest: I'm reading these books half-heartedly. It's nice to see the "old Hellboy", but these little vignettes are narrative curiosities. Ragna Rok happened. The age of man has passed. The big story is over. Hellboy is very different from a lot of other more mainstream comics in this regard. I'm still reading and collecting Hellboy, but I look at the story very differently now.

Fantastic Member

I hadn’t thought of ‘75 that way yet! The Liz connection in Saturn Returns and Mood Swings means we might even get a compelling arc for whatever Saturn Returns leads us to.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    Ah, the winsome appeal of nostalgia. I'll be honest: I'm reading these books half-heartedly. It's nice to see the "old Hellboy", but these little vignettes are narrative curiosities. Ragna Rok happened. The age of man has passed. The big story is over. Hellboy is very different from a lot of other more mainstream comics in this regard. I'm still reading and collecting Hellboy, but I look at the story very differently now.
    As a new reader that is what is so fascinating. The story is over, so all we have are the stories from the past, but does that take away from the story telling as a whole?

Is it the journey or the end that matters?

That's a question I think each reader has to think about, for me I would have thought there was a reboot coming because Ragna Rok gives readers an exit point.

For me the Mignolaverse is amazing, but it makes me wonder if there will be a hand off or an end coming in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    As a new reader that is what is so fascinating. The story is over, so all we have are the stories from the past, but does that take away from the story telling as a whole?

Is it the journey or the end that matters?

That's a question I think each reader has to think about, for me I would have thought there was a reboot coming because Ragna Rok gives readers an exit point.

For me the Mignolaverse is amazing, but it makes me wonder if there will be a hand off or an end coming in the future.
    Reader subject position is certainly a factor. I started reading HB in 1996, so my perception of the narrative is going to be a bit different than a new reader who can basically get 25 years worth of stories all in one go. I do think, however, that because Hellboy has a definite end (unlike other superhero books with infinite retcons and reboots, which are (usually) accepted within that mode of storytelling) and even though a comic book, Hellboy functions differently from other mainstream comics (and of course there are plenty of sequential art books that use the medium to tell a very specific story) in the decision to basically complete the character arc. I never thought that there would be any stories set after the end of The Devil You Know (there could be, Mignola can do whatever he wants) because of the finality of the ending. I feel that Mignola can keep the franchise going as he wants with all these different adventures (and adaptations), but my sense is that the overall story of Hellboy - the big dramatic arc - is complete.

While I certainly found the overall story of Hellboy compelling, my favorite stories in the series have always been one-offs. Mood pieces. Just weird things that happened to Hellboy. I'm perfectly happy relishing in those now that the grand myth arc is told.

I thought The Beast of Vargu might very well be the best single issue of Hellboy ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    While I certainly found the overall story of Hellboy compelling, my favorite stories in the series have always been one-offs. Mood pieces. Just weird things that happened to Hellboy. I'm perfectly happy relishing in those now that the grand myth arc is told.

I thought The Beast of Vargu might very well be the best single issue of Hellboy ever.
    I love the idea of telling all these smaller stories free from the "big picture" stuff. We got the ending we needed for Hellboy, but these short stories scratch an entirely different itch. And yes, The Beast of Vargu is definitely among the best Hellboy single issues. Mike Mignola, Duncan Fegredo, and Dave Stewart knocked that one out of the park.

I hadn’t thought of ‘75 that way yet! The Liz connection in Saturn Returns and Mood Swings means we might even get a compelling arc for whatever Saturn Returns leads us to.
    Well, 1976 has the three-issue The Dead Remembered story in it. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Allie is working on a bunch on 1970s stories to eventually go together in an omnibus so The Dead Remembered can find a home among them there.

I also love the one shots that aren't of any major consequence. They're some of the best Hellboy stories.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Well, 1976 has the three-issue The Dead Remembered story in it. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Allie is working on a bunch on 1970s stories to eventually go together in an omnibus so The Dead Remembered can find a home among them there.
    Ah, that's a pretty compelling thought! Like BPRD '75-'76-'77 like they did '46-'47-'48. Fingers crossed you're right.

Most of the TPB only collects 5 issues, so for 1975, I think that will only be:

• Hellboy and the .PRD: Saturn Returns #1-3
    • Hellboy: Krampusnacht (OS)
    • Hellboy: Mood Swings from Winter Special 2016 (OS)

For 1962, there is only Hellboy and the BPRD: The Beast of Vargu for now, so that's probably too soon.

I still don't know the dates for Long Night at Goloski Station and The Seven Wives Club. If they are set in 1962, that would means that two more are coming (I guess).

Ah, that's a pretty compelling thought! Like BPRD '75-'76-'77 like they did '46-'47-'48. Fingers crossed you're right.
    They could also do 1949-1950-1951, that would connect BPRD: 1946-1947-1948 with Hellboy and the BPRD: 1952-1953-1954-1955-1956.
    Last edited by Morsoth; 09-01-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    Most of the TPB only collects 5 issues, so for 1975, I think that will only be:

• Hellboy and the .PRD: Saturn Returns #1-3
    • Hellboy: Krampusnacht (OS)
    • Hellboy: Mood Swings from Winter Special 2016 (OS)
    Mood Swings was just a short story, not a full issue. There would need to be at least two more short stories before there's enough for a trade.