Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Hellboy and the B.P.R.D - what’s going on?

So, between Saturn Returns, Goloski Station and The Beast of Vargu, we are really leaping around the timeline. Reminds me of the one shots of yesteryear, which is no bad thing, but I’m curious how these (and other) stories will end up being collected. Do we get collections not themed to individual years to collect these stories and the uncollected winter specials content, or do we wait until there is enough to fill a ‘62, ‘75 etc?

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    So, between Saturn Returns, Goloski Station and The Beast of Vargu, we are really leaping around the timeline. Reminds me of the one shots of yesteryear, which is no bad thing, but I’m curious how these (and other) stories will end up being collected. Do we get collections not themed to individual years to collect these stories and the uncollected winter specials content, or do we wait until there is enough to fill a ‘62, ‘75 etc?
    I suspect we'll be getting a Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1975 collection soon. With Saturn Returns, Krampusnacht, and Mood Swings we're just one issue short of a full trade.

I think it resembling the approach of yesteryear is evidence of Mignola taking a more active role in the series. It's how he's always worked, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I think it resembling the approach of yesteryear is evidence of Mignola taking a more active role in the series. It's how he's always worked, right?
    Yeah, it feels very familiar.

Ah, the winsome appeal of nostalgia. I'll be honest: I'm reading these books half-heartedly. It's nice to see the "old Hellboy", but these little vignettes are narrative curiosities. Ragna Rok happened. The age of man has passed. The big story is over. Hellboy is very different from a lot of other more mainstream comics in this regard. I'm still reading and collecting Hellboy, but I look at the story very differently now.

Fantastic Member

I hadn’t thought of ‘75 that way yet! The Liz connection in Saturn Returns and Mood Swings means we might even get a compelling arc for whatever Saturn Returns leads us to.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    Ah, the winsome appeal of nostalgia. I'll be honest: I'm reading these books half-heartedly. It's nice to see the "old Hellboy", but these little vignettes are narrative curiosities. Ragna Rok happened. The age of man has passed. The big story is over. Hellboy is very different from a lot of other more mainstream comics in this regard. I'm still reading and collecting Hellboy, but I look at the story very differently now.
    As a new reader that is what is so fascinating. The story is over, so all we have are the stories from the past, but does that take away from the story telling as a whole?

Is it the journey or the end that matters?

That's a question I think each reader has to think about, for me I would have thought there was a reboot coming because Ragna Rok gives readers an exit point.

For me the Mignolaverse is amazing, but it makes me wonder if there will be a hand off or an end coming in the future.