Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    The quit being Spider-Man is an angle that’s happened so often in so many variations of the character. Doesn’t bother me. The other issues didn’t bother me as well but I guess I could see some bothering people. To me the essence of the character just seemed more true then then MCU version. The portrayal of him being so incompetent just gets really old after the first 30 mins of homecoming. Honestly it all comes down to personal preference. I personally feel Homecoming was average and the “Mr.Stark” this and “Mr stark” that just gets irritating . I don’t envision the character of Spider-Man as Iron Mans trusty sidekick. Again though I guess everyone has a different view on how the character should act. I loved FFH though mainly because there were less Stark references and the action sequences were absolutely amazing. Another issue with Homecoming was out unimaginative and stale the action was.
    Difference between the comic angle and movie are in the comics, Peter didn’t quit for anywhere near the time that he did in the movie and there were at least others who could pick up the slack. In this case, he willingly quit knowing full well that he was the only thing that stood between New York and disaster, worse yet by just how much things had escalated compared to his first outing.

Also at what point did the concept of being someone’s protege suddenly become sidekick because honestly I don’t think anyone who calls him such knows what it means no offense. Robin to Batman is a sidekick. They do what they do as a duo. Peter was green in this version and Tony brought Peter into the bigger game of superheroics but left him to do his own thing beyond that aside from when Peter royally screwed up, just as any mentor would do. Any point that Peter ended up with Tony such as Infinity War was Peter choosing to in spite of Tony trying to keep him safe (which also speaks a lot of Peter’s character as a hero). Hell Peter had to handle things entirely on his own with no assistance from Tony when it came to dealing with Vulture and then later Mysterio. And before anyone says that he used Starktech to create his new suit, yes, he used the tech but the suit’s creation was all him down to every spec of what went into the suit. That moment represented the full on point at which Peter steps out of of Tony’s shadow by not using either suit he made for Peter but the one he made himself, the culmination of the story arc Far From Home was going. The entire prospect was getting to see the character grow and develop over time rather than just rushing at it and suddenly they’re a pro overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    The entire prospect was getting to see the character grow and develop over time rather than just rushing at it and suddenly they’re a pro overnight.
    I don't think anyone was against that conceptually. I just feel that the entire Stark relationship and dynamic took away from that whenever it was on-screen. Especially compared to other takes on Spider-Man becoming Spider-Man without the need for an adult mentor who basically covers and supports him as much as Tony did.

Every time they seem to try and move him away from Stark they walk back on it a little in the next subsequent movie, at least from my perspective.

I never want to hear the words "Mr. Stark" in a Spider-Man movie again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The sony hate is coming from the Disney camp.
    I don't know; a lot of those complaints were around long before Marvel Studios got involved.

Any worse revelations by some of the nightmare directors have working in the MCU?
    Depends on your point of view on things. I'm more favorable to a team that tries hard on the story (even if I personally don't like it) over one who's more concerned over product placement and franchising then making sure the current movie is as good as can be.

Expect a significant amount of people did not see that away, if anything it only raised more doubts how the mcu movies gets ''good reviews'' and Venom didn't.
    Look, objectively speaking, I don't think Venom is a good movie in terms of the craftsmanship (esp. the cast other then Tom Hardy and the plot). I think a case can be made that Homecoming and Far From Home Are have good craftsmanship.

Spider-Man 3 was awful. I wont defend that. I enjoyed the ASM movies so I’ll leave it at that.
    Think I feel the exact opposite, but fair enough,

Ironically IVe heard generally positive things about the Venom movie. It gathered a nice cult following and Tom Hardy was fantastic.
    I'd say it's a good "bad" movie, a guilty pleasure, if you will. Tom Hardy is fantastic, for sure.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    That's where you're wrong, kiddo. All Sony needs to do is green-light Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 4 with Tobey Macguire. An adaption of Kraven's Last Hunt would be most appropriate, I imagine.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I have little to no interest in seeing any sort of Spider-Man movie this dark. Great for the comics, but just no interest in seeing it in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The same screenwriters will be working on the third film. They are signed on.

The dialogue will be different on account of the fact that Holland Peter will now have to say sentences without "Mr. Stark" in them.
    Hahahahaha. Accurate.

That said, I'm thankful that the same screenwriters are on board along with Holland (and hopefully the entirety of the rest of the cast?). Hopefully the same director will stick around to. Seriously, lifting any reference to Iron Man from these movies will be the best thing for them going forward.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I have little to no interest in seeing any sort of Spider-Man movie this dark. Great for the comics, but just no interest in seeing it in the movies.
    I'd like to see it made into some movie. Maybe like one of those animated DC direct-to-video things.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    That said, I'm thankful that the same screenwriters are on board along with Holland (and hopefully the entirety of the rest of the cast?). Hopefully the same director will stick around to. Seriously, lifting any reference to Iron Man from these movies will be the best thing for them going forward.
    That's the thing; is the next movie going to be unofficially set in the MCU or are they going to have to retcon a lot of stuff? What's this all going to look like?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Personally I think they need to make a Spider-Man movie with all the greatest hits of the Sony verse. Give it a scene with Peter strut-dancing, have him hit MJ, have the goblin kill Gwen, introduce his parents and have his new mentor be Claude Starkowitz, a mechanic from Cleveland with delusions of grandeur.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 08-28-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Personally I think they need to make a Spider-Man movie with all the greatest hits of the Sony verse. Give it a scene with Peter strut-dancing, have him hit MJ, have the goblin kill Gwen, introduce his parents and have his new mentor be Claude Starkowitz, a mechanic from Cleveland with delusions of grandeur.
    That sounds like Avengers Endgame. greatest hits of the mcu verse.

Sony needs time, time and space. let them start by going back to what worked. getting a very talented director like Sam Raimi that loves comics. Infact I would even argue that sony benefited more from this to Singer and Nolan making xmen and batman films because they actually did not even really like comic books. Raimi did.

Sony rushed ASM movies. I hope they don't repeat the same mistakes again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'd like to see it made into some movie. Maybe like one of those animated DC direct-to-video things.
    I'd be down for animated. Just absolutely no interest in live action.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

That sounds like Avengers Endgame. greatest hits of the mcu verse.

Sony needs time, time and space. let them start by going back to what worked. getting a very talented director like Sam Raimi that loves comics. Infact I would even argue that sony benefited more from this to Singer and Nolan making xmen and batman films because they actually did not even really like comic books. Raimi did.

Sony rushed ASM movies. I hope they don't repeat the same mistakes again.
    They’re clearly riding on the high of 2 successes and have made it clear that they’re setting out to make their own cinematic universe. I fully expect them to make the exact same mistakes that they always do when they get over ambitious.