Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Really? To each his own I guess. I thought “Unthinkable” was the highlight of Waids run. Then again I’m a huge fanboy for the entire run in general. Chip would be a good choice to pick up the F4. He’s writing an absolute all time classic gem in Spider-Man Life story right now . So yea I would love to see him get on board F4.
    Of course, I have a different perspective but I think Waid came perilously close to making Doom so toxic as to be unusable. To do that ,Waid takes a radical swerve once again with Doom as he did with Johnny. There had been a sort of truce between Doom and the FF ever since he came back from Franklin's HR planet. Sue and the others depended on his help to get Reed out of Doom's armor. Then he famously (and notoriously I suppose ) assisted in baby Valeria's birth when both Sue and her baby could have both died. Then, out of the blue came the most vicious series attacks. It seems like it may have been somewhat unpopular among writers down the line since it seldom gets referenced afterwards. Authoritative Action that follows was almost like Waid was getting rid of Doom forever.

  2. #17
    Spectacular Member RD155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Of course, I have a different perspective but I think Waid came perilously close to making Doom so toxic as to be unusable. To do that ,Waid takes a radical swerve once again with Doom as he did with Johnny. There had been a sort of truce between Doom and the FF ever since he came back from Franklin's HR planet. Sue and the others depended on his help to get Reed out of Doom's armor. Then he famously (and notoriously I suppose ) assisted in baby Valeria's birth when both Sue and her baby could have both died. Then, out of the blue came the most vicious series attacks. It seems like it may have been somewhat unpopular among writers down the line since it seldom gets referenced afterwards. Authoritative Action that follows was almost like Waid was getting rid of Doom forever.
    Ok I didn’t collect F4 before Waid. Literally I had zero interest in the characters before he started his run. So it’s probably easier for me to accept the Status quo that Waid instilled then a more longtime reader. When I picture the F4 I visualize Waids version. I felt that Doom was written beautifully during that because he was a complete arrogant narcissistic opportunist. Granted it was a dark story border lining on flat out disturbing at times. However I felt that run just breathed some life into the family because prior to that it seemed like They weren’t really catching the attention of anyone.

    Again the run was probably easier for first time readers of F4 like myself to get into rather then long time readers which I’m guessing you’re who have grown with the characters written a particular way.

  3. #18
    Fantastic Member Wall-Crawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Waid's run on F4 was absolutely amazing, I loved every single issue.

  4. #19
    Fantastic Member Wall-Crawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Anyway, I finished reading the first arc of the current F4 book and I have mixed feelings, on one hand, the character bits were extremely good and made me emotional about their reunion and I could really feel how much they missed each other. Ben proposing to Alicia was an amazing moment, really well done. On the other hand, the plot made no sense and basically spit in the awesomeness that was Secret Wars, Molecule Man being killed so easily made no sense.

    Wasn't he supposed to have the combined power of all the Beyonders ? The same power that God Doom had and used to defeat a user of the Infinity Gauntlet ? Then comes this lady and one shots Owen, total bs, then there is also Franklin's massive depowering, he went from being a reality warper to someone slightly more powerful than Silver Surfer.

    Also, Sue saying "this is the greatest threat the multiverse has faced" after she just witnessed the end of everything at the hands of the Beyonders is beyond silly, like Slott was trying way too hard to convince us this was huge and eclipse Secret Wars, now that is laughable.

    Slott, please keep at writing character moments, you're great at that, don't try to oversell the seriousness of your plot.

  5. #20
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post

    Also, Sue saying "this is the greatest threat the multiverse has faced" after she just witnessed the end of everything at the hands of the Beyonders is beyond silly, like Slott was trying way too hard to convince us this was huge and eclipse Secret Wars, now that is laughable.
    It gets even funnier when you realize the villain totes being the embodiment of entropy. Really, Iceman could have defeated the Griever since the entropy of a perfect crystal is zero when the temperature of the crystal is equal to absolute zero per the Third Law of Thermodynamics.

    Sure, this is actual science in a comic book, but I found it funny anyways.

  6. #21
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Anyway, I finished reading the first arc of the current F4 book and I have mixed feelings, on one hand, the character bits were extremely good and made me emotional about their reunion and I could really feel how much they missed each other. Ben proposing to Alicia was an amazing moment, really well done. On the other hand, the plot made no sense and basically spit in the awesomeness that was Secret Wars, Molecule Man being killed so easily made no sense.

    Wasn't he supposed to have the combined power of all the Beyonders ? The same power that God Doom had and used to defeat a user of the Infinity Gauntlet ? Then comes this lady and one shots Owen, total bs, then there is also Franklin's massive depowering, he went from being a reality warper to someone slightly more powerful than Silver Surfer.

    Also, Sue saying "this is the greatest threat the multiverse has faced" after she just witnessed the end of everything at the hands of the Beyonders is beyond silly, like Slott was trying way too hard to convince us this was huge and eclipse Secret Wars, now that is laughable.

    Slott, please keep at writing character moments, you're great at that, don't try to oversell the seriousness of your plot.
    I think probably Owen's extra powers had been depleted when he transferred them to Reed at the end of Secret Wars and then together they started recreating the multiverse. But Owen has a history of just reconstituting himself and returning so I'm sure he will pop up again or get rescued. The same thing with Franklin.....he's been depowered a couple of times at least that I remember. It all depends on what plot the writer wants to sell.

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SouthEast Tennessee
    Posts
    2,227

    Default

    I think it's ok. Nothing to get all giggly over, but not really anything to throw the book in the trash, which is sad considering this is THE Fantastic Four and we haven't had a proper FF book in years. I can understand Marvel putting Slott on the book as he is a name brand these days, but I think I would have much rather had Zdarsky on it. I really enjoyed his 2 in 1 series much more.

  8. #23
    Spectacular Member Doombot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    242

    Default

    I absolutely love the FF, so it's hard to ever turn someone away from them who is willing to give them a chance. That being said, this run feels utterly disappointing after the insane event that was Secret Wars. The writer wants to go back as quickly as possible to the same ol' FF status quo, when the title needs anything but. These characters have been through SO much that just quickly regressing them back into the quirky Silver Age family having wacky adventures just feels flat. They need to struggle and try to come to terms with been among the few in the universe that know that the universe itself is different, that they have been out playing Gods and Universal Creators and that just coming back to be Mr Professor Man and Soccer mom with super powers just doesn't work.

    At best a newcomer may say, meh this is an okay book, and at worst the longtime reader feels this is serious regression.

  9. #24
    Keeper of the Torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Posts
    5,601

    Default

    Since I'm an F4 completist (which I wasn't after Byrne left and I came back mid-Hickman run) I would say yes if you are a completist too; but while it has served some decent fare (with some nice little character moments here and there) it hasn't yet reached the heights of those two. Or Lee & Kirby for that matter.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,610

    Default

    I think Fantastic Four have been consistently one of the best comic books.
    Not that this was surprising to me,i mean dunno about a writer that i would like to see write more the FF more that Dan Slott considerating the previous comic books he wrote (The Thing,She Hulk and stories of the Fantastic Four in Amazing Spider-Man)
    Dan Slott writes the funniest stories and that´s something that is essential in the FF stories imho.

  11. #26
    Fantastic Member Wall-Crawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Now I'm on issue 10, and my opinion still aligns with what I said earlier, Slott is great at character moments, issue five must be one of the best single issues I have read, and other character bits throughout the series have been very good, the plot has also been solid but nothing spectacular, Herald of Doom was an entertaining read.

    That said, man am I tired of Galactus constantly being used as a punching bag, I swear Galactus doesn't even feel menacing anymore, everyone can beat him or at least keep him at bay now, he used to be the ultimate villain, one you could not defeat, you saw him show up and you knew things were screwed, now it's meh, they always find a silly way to beat him in a single issue, what a lame cosmic "force of nature" he has become, and this bs about Franklin getting weaker any time he uses his power is a cop out to not use him, I hope they solve that, because I want to see a powerful Franklin.

    One last thing, this is a massive regression for Doctor Doom's character, he had grown so much and his dynamic with the F4 had changed, now he's back to his "I want power, I hate Reed" persona out of nowhere, I know it was inevitable that he'd go back to being a villain, but over the course of some time and with developments taking him there, Slott simply made him evil again with no explanation out of nowhere.

    Other than those complaints, I think this has been a very solid book.

  12. #27
    Incredible Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    702

    Default

    It’s too “middle ground” in my opinion. They needed to hit the ground running with their comeback and they just...didn’t.
    They’ve not made the impact on the Marvel Universe they should have.

  13. #28
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    I would recommend it. I'm a big fan of Slott. If you've read his other stuff (besides Silver Surfer, that was pretty different) and liked it you'll probably like this. If you didn't, I'd guess you won't like this either.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,693

    Default

    I really like the characterisation in the book

    So far the plot has not grabbed me at all

  15. #30
    Fantastic Member ARkadelphia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Average book. The doom/galactus story was horrendously bad, but every other issue was good to very good. No outright classics at this point, but more enjoyable than not.
    “Tell me, are you an Avenger now? The brand is not what it once was” - Mr. Sinister, Uncanny X-Men (2019) #19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •