Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Would you recommend me to pick up the current Fantastic Four ?

I was wondering if I should pick up the current F4 book, I enjoy Slott's writing most of the time, so I was thinking on buying this.

What are your opinions on the book so far ?

Mighty Member

General consensus is Slott treats every character but Ben Grimm pretty poorly. Most storylines remind you of better storylines from past runs. Not to mention, it gets jarring with the art since we've cycles through artists faster than the beating of a rabbit's heart.

My personal opinion is that the book is annoying as hell since it feels like nothing happens even when it's supposed to be dramatic.

The first two trades are each $9 and pretty good.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

It's a slow book. If you want a slice of life Fantastic 4 book, absolutely pick it up. If you want anything else, it looks like Marvel is giving F4 a bigger push, so you have options.

The second year of the run is going to be about cosmic exploring and introducing all-new concepts like his Surfer run, so if you really want that, it's coming soon.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Spectacular Member

Its boring

Arrow

I'd save my money if I were you.

Immortal Hulk, Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Ironheart (among others) are all better Marvel title choices.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-22-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I gave up after two issues.

I've been enjoying it. Its not my favorite book coming out right now, but its been fun.

Astonishing Member

No, wouldn't recommend it.

Mighty Member

Not really bad, but really boring. Nothing happen, Doom is a parody of himself, and beside Ben all the characters lack of depth. I continue to read because I'm a fan of the FF, but Dan Slott is writing one of the most trite and vintage FF story. For comparison, I'm not a fan of the Mark Waid run (especially for his Doctor Doom) but the writing and pacing is much better.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Not really bad, but really boring. Nothing happen, Doom is a parody of himself, and beside Ben all the characters lack of depth. I continue to read because I'm a fan of the FF, but Dan Slott is writing one of the most trite and vintage FF story. For comparison, I'm not a fan of the Mark Waid run (especially for his Doctor Doom) but the writing and pacing is much better.
    I started collecting a few issues back right around the arc with Doom trapping Galactus. It’s been up and down. I agree with you. Not bad at all but the pacing just seems odd. Can come off as extremely slow. Then again I’m not a Slott fan either. I’m collecting this because I’m a F4 fan and hoping they can catch some traction especially with the X verse killing it right now and getting all the attention. I loved his SheHulk run and thought it was Golden. Hated his Spider-Man with a passion lol.

Disagree about Waid though. Absolutely loved his run. He brought some much needed life to that world.

Anyway Give the run a shot if you’re an F4 fan. If not I don’t think this is the type of title to turn you into one.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Besides the travesty that was Unthinkable (I thought it went way too dark) I didn't like how Mark Waid regressed Johnny to a cereal munching slightly slow witted guy instead of the Johnny that had grown quite a bit. The two prior runs to Waid's by Chris Claremont and Loeb/Marin/Pacheco didn't depict him that way. But on the whole, I think Waid did get the family concept down. What has annoyed me about Slott so far is that he would hit the reader over the head with frequent declaractions by the FF of "We're a family"......like they needed to remind themselves for some reason. The Hulk vs Thing issues have been an improvement at least, but maybe because it was mostly about Ben.

I just feel like it hasn't been as good as it should be for a relaunch of a title that unjustly was pulled from publication because of Ike Perlmutter having a tantrum. I really liked Chip Zdarsky's Marvel Two in One with Ben and Johnny soldiering on in the absence of the rest of the team and the kids. If Slott leaves for some reason, I'd like to see him take on the Fantastic Four.....since it's unlikely that Hickman will return now that he's tied up with the X-Men.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-23-2019 at 07:52 AM.

He's great with Ben, but that's about it. The other 3 feel more like supporting cast than members of the team. It has good moments such as the wedding issue and recent fight, but that's not enough for me to recommend it.
    Apparently, the next issue is the beginning of the cosmic direction that was missing from the book. I believe Slott said it's a good jumping on point, if this turns out to be good I'd recommend skipping straight to that.

So for now I wouldn't recommend picking it up.
    Last edited by Crimz; 08-23-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Besides the travesty that was Unthinkable (I thought it went way too dark) I didn't like how Mark Waid regressed Johnny to a cereal munching slightly slow witted guy instead of the Johnny that had grown quite a bit. The two prior runs to Waid's by Chris Claremont and Loeb/Marin/Pacheco didn't depict him that way. But on the whole, I think Waid did get the family concept down. What has annoyed me about Slott so far is that he would hit the reader over the head with frequent declaractions by the FF of "We're a family"......like they needed to remind themselves for some reason. The Hulk vs Thing issues have been an improvement at least, but maybe because it was mostly about Ben.

I just feel like it hasn't been as good as it should be for a relaunch of a title that unjustly was pulled from publication because of Ike Perlmutter having a tantrum. I really liked Chip Zdarsky's Marvel Two in One with Ben and Johnny soldiering on in the absence of the rest of the team and the kids. If Slott leaves for some reason, I'd like to see him take on the Fantastic Four.....since it's unlikely that Hickman will return now that he's tied up with the X-Men.
    Really? To each his own I guess. I thought “Unthinkable” was the highlight of Waids run. Then again I’m a huge fanboy for the entire run in general. Chip would be a good choice to pick up the F4. He’s writing an absolute all time classic gem in Spider-Man Life story right now . So yea I would love to see him get on board F4.