All-New Member

Default Are All Marvel Character Names Trademark IP Protected?

Are all Marvel character names IP protected? I'm writing a science fiction book and want to name my main character Redwolf (one word), a codename for his real name, but just found out there is a character in Marvel comics called Red Wolf (two words). My character has no relation to the Red Wolf character in the comics. Will Marvel go after me if I use the name for my book?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltpg97 View Post
    Are all Marvel character names IP protected? I'm writing a science fiction book and want to name my main character Redwolf (one word), a codename for his real name, but just found out there is a character in Marvel comics called Red Wolf (two words). My character has no relation to the Red Wolf character in the comics. Will Marvel go after me if I use the name for my book?
    IANAL, but trademarks have to be maintained in order to keep them. The reason DC can't publish a comic called Captain Marvel even though they own the original character is that the trademark was not maintained.

Marvel made sure to maintain the Captain Marvel trademark by publishing a comic called Captain Marvel every few years. Marvel last published a Red Wolf title around 2016, so the trademark may still be current. However, a quick search on Amazon shows many books with that title or a variation. Since there are so many books by different authors with the title "Red Wolf", it looks like no one has the trademark.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    However, a quick search on Amazon shows many books with that title or a variation. Since there are so many books by different authors with the title "Red Wolf", it looks like no one has the trademark.
    That's a relief to know. Thanks for your feedback. And my character's name would be one word. Not two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    IANAL, but trademarks have to be maintained in order to keep them. The reason DC can't publish a comic called Captain Marvel even though they own the original character is that the trademark was not maintained.

Marvel made sure to maintain the Captain Marvel trademark by publishing a comic called Captain Marvel every few years. Marvel last published a Red Wolf title around 2016, so the trademark may still be current. However, a quick search on Amazon shows many books with that title or a variation. Since there are so many books by different authors with the title "Red Wolf", it looks like no one has the trademark.
    Yeah, this is why Monica Rambeau had a couple of one-shots in the 80s, when she usually only appeared in Avengers. They needed a book with that name. It's also why they had a Skrull Mar-Vell in Secret Invasion who had his own mini. And it's also why Kamala Khan was given the Ms. Marvel name, Carol having vacated the mantle by then (they thought Kamala would last 10 issues. Now she's going to be a streaming television star!).

In hindsight, DC should've taken over Fawcett and continued publishing Captain Marvel, instead of suing them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, this is why Monica Rambeau had a couple of one-shots in the 80s, when she usually only appeared in Avengers. They needed a book with that name. It's also why they had a Skrull Mar-Vell in Secret Invasion who had his own mini. And it's also why Kamala Khan was given the Ms. Marvel name, Carol having vacated the mantle by then (they thought Kamala would last 10 issues. Now she's going to be a streaming television star!).

In hindsight, DC should've taken over Fawcett and continued publishing Captain Marvel, instead of suing them.
    Yeah. DC should have bought Fawcett out. Just like Todd Macfarlane should have bought out Neil Gaiman's 50% stake in Angela and Middle Ages Spawn. No one wins in a lawsuit but the lawyers.

Regarding Captain Marvel, Kelly Sue DeConnick might had been better off using Monica Rambeau for the titled role instead of Carol Danvers, in my opinion. Unlike Carol, Monica Rambeau was an unknown character to the general public. Plenty of ways to make Rambeau interesting because she was a blank slate compared to Danvers.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 08-31-2019 at 03:31 AM.