Default Golden Age Seven Soldiers of Victory (Law's Legionnaires) Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous Law's Legionnaires / Golden Age Seven Soldiers of Victory Appreciation thread, which can be found at from the previous version (originally created January of 2018):
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy
    NOTE: This is for the group originally from the Golden Age of comics.
    For the later group Grant Morrison was involved with, maybe try "Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers" or "Seven Soldiers of Victory" existing threads.

-------------------------------

First, DC came up with The Justice Society of America, who debuted as team in All Star Comics #3 (Winter 1940 issue).

So, what's a comic book company to do next?
    promo ad from Sensation Comics #2 (February 1942)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy
    The original line-up consisted of:
    * Green Arrow & Speedy (first appeared in More Fun Comics #73, cover-dated November 1941)
    * Star Spangled Kid & Stripesy (first appeared in a brief preview published in Action Comics #40, cover-dated September 1941, then appeared regularly in Star Spangled Comics starting with October 1941's issue#1)
    * Shining Knight (Sir Justin) from Adventure Comics starting with issue #66 (September 1941)
    * Vigilante (Greg Saunders) who first appeared in Action Comics #42 (Nov. 1941)
    * The Crimson Avenger from Detective Comics.
    (see separate "Original Golden Age Crimson Avenger (Lee Travis) appreciation thread" for more on him)
    There was also Wing (Wing How, the Crimson's stereotypical valet / sidekick) who many, many years later would sometimes be referred to as the Eighth Soldier.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XX (October 1986):

Boisterously Confused

I always loved their contrast with The JSA. With the (sorta) exception of Sir Justin, The SSV were pretty much devoid of super powers. In a way, they were The Outsiders done 40+ years earlier.

Boisterously Confused

Side question: who else first met them thru a reprint of The Black Star case spread over two issues of JLA?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Side question: who else first met them thru a reprint of The Black Star case spread over two issues of JLA?
    I don't remember how I first encountered the 7SV, but I'd guess the JLA/JSA crossover in JLA 100-102.

As to the team themselves, there are a very interesting mix. Reading the Roy Thomas foreword in the Archives added to my love for these guys.

And the Adventure Comics serial needs to be collected and reprinted.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    And the Adventure Comics serial needs to be collected and reprinted.
    And I just ordered the Adventure Comics with the 7SV backups. It is very easy to blow money on comics woith this internet thingy.

Now to be thorough, what would people consider a complete 7Sv set? I'm curently working with the three archive editions, JLA 100-102, and now Adventure 438-443. I'm assuming the All-Star Squadron had a few issues which might count and that issue of Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. with the flashback might count, but am I missing anything else. My completist fankid mentality screams for detail!