Default Superman: Up in the Sky #2 Spoilers

Ok the part 3 segment of boxing Superman might be my absolute favorite Superman story in a very long time. Perfectly encapsulates who Superman is: Someone who wont give up, ever. And Good God does Andy Kubert kill it on art, Superman gets the **** beat out of him and keeps coming back for more. I love it when Supes shows off his boxing skills and this story was wonderful for that.

7F1F8C7A-EF31-4689-BF59-016B1E6E81B2.jpg

Part 4 did a wonderful job of portraying Superman’s ability to inspire even though it’s a bittersweet example of him spoilers:
    inspiring the healer to give up his life to save Superman.
    end of spoilers. I found that part generally heartbreaking and yet oddly uplifting as well. Next issue I think has the controversial Lois portion, and I’m curious to read it in full for myself. King talked about his intentions with that scene on the last Word Balloon podcast and it made me more willing to give it another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ok the part 3 segment of boxing Superman might be my absolute favorite Superman story in a very long time. Perfectly encapsulates who Superman is: Someone who wont give up, ever. And Good God does Andy Kubert kill it on art, Superman gets the **** beat out of him and keeps coming back for more. I love it when Supes shows off his boxing skills and this story was wonderful for that.

7F1F8C7A-EF31-4689-BF59-016B1E6E81B2.jpg

Part 4 did a wonderful job of portraying Superman’s ability to inspire even though it’s a bittersweet example of him spoilers:
    inspiring the healer to give up his life to save Superman.
    end of spoilers. I found that part generally heartbreaking and yet oddly uplifting as well. Next issue I think has the controversial Lois portion, and I’m curious to read it in full for myself. King talked about his intentions with that scene on the last Word Balloon podcast and it made me more willing to give it another chance.
    Whereabouts in the WB interview does he talk about that? His last attempt at explaining it was kinda ridiculous so I'm curious if he's reevaluated it at all.

Found it. He actually acknowledges it was a mistake, and that the greif people gave him for it was legitimate, and the way he did it was basically from his own perspective and he should have conisdered how it'd be taken by others. He says he'd present it differently. I mean, I understood exactly what he was going for. Just the way he presented it is gross. The story itself could have been told differently and actually been really powerful. Instead it's muddled by 6 pages of unnecessarily graphic and disturbing scenes.

On this one, I liked the boxing sequence. It's pretty solid. I was not a real fan of the alien sequence that followed. That and the Lois sequence are the low points for me.
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-07-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Fantastic Member

I have to say this is something I've never understood why would i want to see superman or any of the heroes get beat up??? I want him to stand toe to toe and beat his foe!! This seems to be a trend now!! The writers seems to enjoy writing stories about the star of a comic getting the crap beat out of them!! The heroes don't win one on one fights or win fights as a group anymore!! They fail!! Somebody saves them!
    Last edited by lotchj; 08-08-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The whole point of Superman, in my opinion, is that he is us, to the nth degree. That means he can fight better than anyone, yeah, yeah , I know, everyone has secret kung fu and he's just a farm boy, but that's not the Superman I see. Superman to me can do anything a human can but to the infinite next level. Superman can fight like Shang Chi because he spent a few nano-seconds studying the master. Sure it bothers me that he gets pummeled, but the point is that he has more grit than the other guy. His Super Strength is that he can't fall, just like when he fought Ali. i see you Tom King. BUT, thank you Tom King for a great Superman issue where he out willed the enemy!

I've been hearing good things about this story. Is it now available at the comicbook shops?

Regarding Superman getting beat up. It depends how it's done. It seems boring is he wins easily all the time. He needs challenges to overcome. I liked how Aquaman in his movie lost to his brother, Orm, in the first fight, but then he came back stronger with more purpose and defeated him. And he showed mercy and let him live. Heroes can fall (see Death of Superman), but they always get up and continue to good fight for truth and justice. :P

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I've been hearing good things about this story. Is it now available at the comicbook shops?

Regarding Superman getting beat up. It depends how it's done. It seems boring is he wins easily all the time. He needs challenges to overcome. I liked how Aquaman in his movie lost to his brother, Orm, in the first fight, but then he came back stronger with more purpose and defeated him. And he showed mercy and let him live. Heroes can fall (see Death of Superman), but they always get up and continue to good fight for truth and justice. :P
    Yep issues are coming out to comics shops. One regular comic book issue contains two “Walmart” stories, but it’s all part of one overarching story. I quite like it although others have their issues with it.

Censorship Sucks

I have heard very good reviews about it, including from my boi Zac, and I was going to make the 70 mile trip to the nearest comic book store to pick up a copy, but then I saw the price. 4.99. I told myself that I would draw the line at 3.99 for single issues. I will wait for the trade paperback. I just feel like five bucks is to much for one issue of a comic. It has to stop going up in price at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep issues are coming out to comics shops. One regular comic book issue contains two “Walmart” stories, but it’s all part of one overarching story. I quite like it although others have their issues with it.
    I'm confused, Is this the Giant Superman book that Walmart is still selling? I thought that book included an original Superman story by Tom King (?) plus other older stories and reprints. I thought that was very cool and worth the extra price.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I'm confused, Is this the Giant Superman book that Walmart is still selling? I thought that book included an original Superman story by Tom King (?) plus other older stories and reprints. I thought that was very cool and worth the extra price.
    Yes, it's the story from those. They are reprinting two of the 12 page Tom King stories from the Walmart books as a single comic (without the reprints) for comic shops. So it'll be a 6 issue miniseries for comic shops. And a 12 part series if you're getting it in Walmart.

To make it more confusing, the Walmart program is changing in a month or so. The 100 Page Giants will no longer be exclusive to Walmart. They will now have 24 pages of new story along with the reprints and be sold in comic shops and Walmart, Target, etc. at the same time or within a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yes, it's the story from those. They are reprinting two of the 12 page Tom King stories from the Walmart books as a single comic (without the reprints) for comic shops. So it'll be a 6 issue miniseries for comic shops. And a 12 part series if you're getting it in Walmart.

To make it more confusing, the Walmart program is changing in a month or so. The 100 Page Giants will no longer be exclusive to Walmart. They will now have 24 pages of new story along with the reprints and be sold in comic shops and Walmart, Target, etc. at the same time or within a couple of months.
    thank you, my head hurts lol.