Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I've been making my own Hickman infographics (as seen in previous threads) and went a bit crazy:
    This is pretty cool..What do you use to make the infographics?

BANNED

WOLVERINES - Special mission in Madripoor when the Hound Program and the Weapon X program link up and station themselves in the country. Long-term mystery that forces the clan to work together, along with new ally Norio (of the Raksha).
    Wolverine (Logan)
    X-23
    Norio
    Daken
    Honey Badger
    This isn’t all that different for an idea I had in the “Pitch A Book For HoX” thread. Although the first arc would have Laura convincing Logan to try helping Daken after the Return stuff, with Logan arguing that Daken is beyond being saved.

I have a pair of disclaimers to this post. 1) Reality is that I'd need to know the intricate details of the X-Men world and all its characters before I could give a thorough concept like others do. 2) What I'm saying is not the same as what I think Marvel needs. I'm taking "reboot your way" as what would personally please me most, not necessarily what's most reasonable, realistic, or best for X-Men as a whole. There are things about this that in a real scenario, I'd say Marvel shouldn't do.

Here we go!

First off, more diversity is a given. You can't have a narrative that plays to diversity issues and have all its major and most prominent players as straight cis white men. My personal preference would be bringing more "obscure" diverse characters to the front, and using the "popular" characters less. Technically, changing known characters to be more diverse is possible, but that's a mixed bag. This would also go along with my feeling that "obscure" characters need to be more prominent and get more use anyway.

Second, I would make rectifying past mistakes and misrepresentation of characters into a top priority. It's no big deal if it's something small and insignificant, but if something's clearly artificially holding a character back, it needs to be fixed. The worse the issue that needs to be fixed, the bigger the platform to fix it needs to be.

Third, a moratorium on time travel and alternate universe storylines and anything too similar to them. Not permanently. But long enough that the X-Men franchise's real purpose is clear.

Fourth, deconstruction/interrogation of common franchise tropes and staples. In my ideal scenario, Polaris would have a solo book that covers her history, leading into her as the focal character in an event deconstructing the "woman go crazy and kill people" trope. Lots more insight into who she is, and what factors led to the moment. I'd wrap up with the X-Men considering what warning signs they missed, what they could've done to avoid it, and proactively taking steps to be better in that sense. Not questioning how things have always been done stifles progress.

Fifth, NO CHARACTER DEATHS. None. I think character death is a massive waste of story potential. I think there are better, more riveting ways to show risks and build tension. And I think if character death happens, it shouldn't be done lightly. It has to mean something, and demonstrate that character's worth.

That's all my thoughts for the time being. I may edit this post if I have more. Or make new posts if I feel that's better, but I lean toward the edit approach.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I'll take a quick break from webdev to write some more.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Xavier is his mother’s surname. Farouk is his father’s. He was named after the Prince of Wales.
    For those playing along, Charles bin Farouk fled Egypt with his mother following the assassination of his crime-lord father, the "Shadow King" of Cairo. Renaming herself and her son in the United States, they lived safely until she married another abusive man and died by his hand. Charles was only 13 when he watched his stepfather Kurt Marko shoot himself in the head, 15 when he graduated university, 17 when he joined the Weapon Plus programme, and 19 when he developed the prototype of the machine that would help him defeat the ghost that had followed him from Egypt.

On the other side of the world, Eric Lensherr was born to an Ashekenazi Survivor and a daughter of Kenya in the wilds near Odessa. Raised behind an iron curtain on stories of war, torture, death, and fury, he was a second-generation outsider. Not white like his father, or black like his mother, he learned quickly he was unwanted and unclaimed by all tribes --despite the love he received from his parents. Eventually his his curly hair betrayed his childhood by turning as white as snow in his thirteenth year, the same year he came home to find his parents missing. Taken by the state, the neighbors whispered. Death assured, war returned, and his torture turned to fury.

As a young adult, he crossed paths with a young man called Cerebro. It was then he learned his secret magic was even more secret science: he was a mutant, among the first of the next step in evolution, a new people that might lead the world to a promised future. Sadly, their plans turned to ash when Eric learned his American benefactors were the next step in HYDRA's evolution, and his retaliation against them was met with betrayal from his best friend.

Turning his back on the future they could have made, Eric fled to the veldt, where he met the love of his life, the dark-skinned N'dare.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I've been making my own Hickman infographics (as seen in previous threads) and went a bit crazy:

Ongoing Team Books:
    X-MEN - Mutant narrative steering book that is perhaps overly aware of their public perception and the weight of that falls heavily on these characters. They are intimidating and can be mutantkind's biggest weapons, but their story will be about relying on each other as the gravity of their celebrity takes its toll.

Magneto
    Marvel Woman (Jean Grey)
    Storm
    Cyclops
    Apex (Monet St. Croix)
    Synch
    [Shen] Xorn

X-FORCE - This book lets the young mutants within get to choose their own path under the careful guidance of an experienced line-crosser.
    Citizen X (Roberto da Costa)
    Psykey (Kwannon)
    Anole
    Mercury
    Prodigy
    Wind Dancer
    Mondo

MARAUDERS - Very much more of a street-level team compared to the others. They're more blue collar to the X-Men team's white collar. Marrow's roots with the Morlocks and her relationships with Gambit and Emma play into her role heavily.
    Shadowcat
    Iceman
    Emma Frost
    Marrow
    Gambit
    Bishop

EXCALIBUR - A team based on exploration, mistrust, and accountability. Bright backdrops with wacky elements cut with genuine tension, especially between the M-Day clique and Wanda that hopefully is a nuanced redemption arc for them all.
    Captain Britain (Betsy Braddock)
    Nightcrawler
    Scarlet Witch
    Rictor
    Jubilee
    Moonstar

Ongoing Solo Ensembles:
    WOLVERINES - Special mission in Madripoor when the Hound Program and the Weapon X program link up and station themselves in the country. Long-term mystery that forces the clan to work together, along with new ally Norio (of the Raksha).
    Wolverine (Logan)
    X-23
    Norio
    Daken
    Honey Badger

ROGUE & THE BROTHERHOOD - Basically the Brotherhood have Moira X info, perhaps leading to the whereabouts of Moira and Professor X, but are only willing to share with Rogue.
    Rogue
    Destiny
    Mystique
    Pyro
    Pulse

And then the supporting characters:
    KRAKOA SUPPORT
    Members: Beast, Tourniquet (Cecilia Reyes), and Hijack

X-CORPS (largely appearing in X-Men) - International ambassadors and recruitment program, strengthening their ties to Wakanda and the Avengers.
    Members: Manifold, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Chamber, Armor, Bling!, and Hollow

HELLFIRE TRADING CO. (largely appearing in Marauders)
    Members: The Cuckoos, Rockslide, Husk, and Sebastian Shaw; formerly Christian Frost

Then there's the supporting characters who will be mainly in non-X-Books
    MERX FOR HIRE (Deadpool supporting characters)
    Shatterstar
    Boom Boom
    Blink
    Warpath
    Risque

MAGIK solo series mostly apart from the X-Universe

Villains:

I. MORLOCKS
    II. SCAVENGERS - The X-Men's Wrecking Crew
    III. ACOLYTES - Basically the anti-Wanda/mutant magic crew
    IV. MLF - Mutant anarchists

V. THE UPSTARTS - Next stage in Hellfire politics, profiteering on their fellow mutant's misfortunes
    VI. THE PURIFIERS - Self-hating mutants working with the humans, Laurie is really a reanimation of Persephone, who I forgot to include. Rest of the lineup will be new characters.
    VII. BROTHERHOOD - Hoarders of prophecy and intel with an eye for power

VIII. HARBRINGERS - New age Marauders, assassins that literally feed on death and chaos
    IX. THE HORSEMEN
    X. THE ASCENDERS - Aligned with the Human/Machine alliance

I'd keep the villains as villains and establish each as their own threat and niche in the grander scheme of things.
    This would be absolute perfection if not for the Amelia Voght and Frenzy erasure in the Acolytes line up.

BANNED

My way:

No more splinter teams.
    Having new characters being allies rather than X-Men.
    Capturing the spirit of the old days adventures.

And the team:

Cyclops
    Wolverine
    Jean Grey/Phoenix
    Nightcrawler
    Beast
    Storm
    Colossus
    Banshee
    Rogue

That's it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    My way:

No more splinter teams.
    Having new characters being allies rather than X-Men.
    Capturing the spirit of the old days adventures.

And the team:

Cyclops
    Wolverine
    Jean Grey/Phoenix
    Nightcrawler
    Beast
    Storm
    Colossus
    Banshee
    Rogue

That's it.
    You've got plenty of back issues for that. This just mires us in more of the exact same empty and stagnant nostalgia wank we've been living through.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This is pretty cool..What do you use to make the infographics?
    Affinity Photo for Mac!

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    This would be absolute perfection if not for the Amelia Voght and Frenzy erasure in the Acolytes line up.
    I wanted the Acolytes to all be victims of M-Day so I moved Frenzy to the Brotherhood so should we also be a bit more prominent. I love Amelia, but just couldn't find a place where I thought she'd fit.

Fantastic Member

This all pretty neat.

My main thing about rebooting would cleaning up things....not so much convolution. I would combine certain characters origins and abilities and eliminate others. I think focusing on a smaller group and telling complex but interesting stories is better than having so much redundancy. Im currently on the fence about the inclusion of aliens and other dimensions and all. I think I would have a ban on time travel and magic. And the Phoenix would not be a recurring thing and the Saga would be much different. This does tie to some other threads.
    One thing I think I would do is reboot the Xmen into their own seperate universe where mutants have superpowers and its no Avengers or Fantastic Fours

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Charles bin Farouk fled Egypt with his mother following the assassination of his crime-lord father, the "Shadow King" of Cairo... Turning his back on the future they could have made, Eric fled to the veldt, where he met the love of his life, the dark-skinned N'dare.
    Recapping: The American son of Amahl Farouk and a Halfrican Ukrainian Jew joined the HYDRA-funded Weapon Plus program in their early adulthood. Together, they completed the machines and devices that would discover new mutants, help them with their powers, and defend against incursions of the astral plane. After their participation in the creation of mutant hunter weapon ten, the truth was discovered, and the men went separate ways. Charles retreated to Scotland with his wife and son. Eric vanished in rural Kenya.

Years later they would meet again, but my story continues before either was born.

The devastation that followed the second world war led the scientific communities of the Axis powers to ally and trade information. In both groups, individuals were discovered among the conquered to possess unexplainable powers. It was decided to establish a sovereignty in the global fallout to experiment and discern how best to exploit these powers for science, wealth, and control of resources. While the rest of the world focussed on the creation of Israel in Palestine, no one mentioned the new nation of Genosha on an African island in the Indian Ocean. Agreements were made with the rulers of Asian and African countries to secretly send their citizens who exhibited powers and mutations to the highly secretive nation of Genosha.

By the 1960s, Genoshan magistrates had mastered the unnamed "x-gene". Scientists were able to alter genetic potential in mutant subjects and even engineer human subjects to gain stolen powers. Genosha developed a network of mutant traffickers throughout the Eastern hemisphere, and had begun negotiations with the jingoist politicians of the West to trade their discoveries for more mutant bodies. These secret deals led to the evolution of the Weapon Plus program. Meant as a deterrent to the rise in global tensions and a mutant arms race, Weapon Plus was just humans using mutants against mutants.

By the 2000s, Genosha had developed its own bloodsport of gladitorial arenas. Within two generations of forced inhumane eugenics, Genoshan-born mutants were created specifically to fight and murder each other for the pleasure of its human citizens. Televised across the globe on a secret channel, the Genoshan gaming network was known as MOJO, and led by the perverse imagination of a man named Rodney Cade, himself known as "Arcade". His most popular show, Murderworld, often featured foreign celebrities trapped in his dungeons. His most popular contestant was a young man with several mutant skills, including an experimental innate reality-shifting ability that would allow him to defeat any obstacle Arcade could throw at him.

are you a genius or what?

how did you make those infographs?

Charles Xavier's telepathy would develop very early. The military want to weaponize him. Charles' father, Brian, opposed the idea.Kurt Marko would be the government operative tasked with getting Brian out of the picture.

Charles spends his formative years in captivity being fed propaganda but is otherwise treated well. Unbeknownst to his custodians, he has been experiencing the world through the astral plane and communicating with the prisoner in the lowest levels of the facility; domestic terrorist Max Eisenhardt. From their interactions, Xavier is able to formulate an agenda of his own. He eventually walks out of government custody; wiping their minds of his existence. Max "erases" the rest of it on his later exit.

Xavier eventually gathers his X-Men. They are all fresh faced white kids from well to do families (to begin w) because Charles was bombarded with Norman Rockwell imagery. But also because he's cognizant of the fear mutants would face. He's very much a strategist. He knows that Warren's wealth will come in handy. He steers Bobby towards accounting. He grooms Jean as his replacement as headmaster. Hank's extroverted brainyness and Scott's need to please authority figures all plays into the analysis.

He's forming other groupings of mutants behind the scenes; the not so old navyesque types that he utilizes for intelligence gathering and missions abroad. Forge, Banshee, Storm, Tessa, Changeling, Moira, etc. Magneto is doing something similar but without the attempt at winning over a human public. He would mostly be behind the scenes; avoiding the flashiness that got him buried in an underground cell. He does eventually get Mutant Alpha'd. But it's a mentally compromised Wanda Maximoff. She and Pietro would only be surrogate children who he trains to be fighters/survivors. Their status as roma reminded him of his estranged wife. Lorna would have a similar origin to X-23. Max had only been kept alive for experimentation. Some of his DNA would be used to create her; as one of the scientists, Dr. Dane, would make herself the other half of the equation and raise Lorna as her own. This is getting long. But trust me when I say that I have mapped out my x-verse for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    are you a genius or what?

how did you make those infographs?
    Haha tbf I took a lot of design elements from House of X #1.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Rebooting X-Men just seems like an enormous undertaking. I don't know that I'd want to reboot all of it, although there are many things that I'd love to rework and re-introduce.

But right now I'm a simple man with less complex dreams. For now I'd be content if we could just reboot Dani Moonstar. I hate that she's no longer a Valkyrie. If I could have it my way, I would reintroduce Dani as a true Asgardian, albeit the first and only mutant Asgardian. It was Hogun who found her, a child left for the wolves (Fenris' whelp) to devour in a forest. But infant Dani was saved by Hogan and nurtured in Volstogg's household along with his children.

Despite their best attempts to shield the child, Dani inevitably came to the attention of All-Seeing Odin. What Odin saw in Dani terrified even him. If Asgard was the stuff of dreams, Odin perceived in Dani the ability to dissolve the very magic that comprised that dream. Despite their pleas, Odin removed infant Dani from the Volstagg home, cast a spell on her that forever hid her true lineage, and had his messenger, Hermóðr the Brave, transport her to Midgard -- he cared not where -- to live out here life. As it turns out, Hermóðr was not unfamiliar with the denizens of Midgard. He had lived amongst them in some form or another and was quite fond of the Cheyenne people. Following Odin's orders, Hermóðr used his considerable magic to bind Dani to the Cheyenne, blessing her not only with their likeness, but deeply spiritual purview. Hermóðr placed her in a home and magically removed all memory of the occurrence.

Dani would never know her true origin, but as the writer, I'd gladly share with the audience the fact that Dani's real parents would be Thor and Hela. Yes, they are brother and sister. But gods view such things differently. And truth be told, Thor was young, irresponsible and full of mead the night that he went to Hela's bed. Hela, as it so happens, was quite smitten with the golden Heir of Asgard at that point in her young life. Drunk or not, half brother or not, she would not have refused his light, despairing as she was then of her dark destiny to come. As a final mitigating factor, Loki played some part in their tryst. He was the only sober head in the room. Mischievous as ever, it was he who cast a spell on Hela, making her appear to be the lovely Sif to Thor's drunken eyes. Long story short, their encounter leads to Hela getting pregnant with Thor's child. When she found out that Thor only came to her bed because he thought that she was Sif, Hela hid away for months, giving birth to the Dani and ultimately leaving her to be devoured by Fenris and his pack. Her hatred for Thor and pretty much all of Asgard can be traced back this horrible event. This is the true backstory, but of course, Dani never ever never ever finds out about any of this. Ditto, Thor, Hela, etc. Loki suspects, but he's the Lord of Lies. Fitting irony that the one time he tells the truth, no one believes him.

So how does any of this impact Dani's time as an X-Man? Well, it doesn't...not at first. Not until Dani wakes up one morning to find that she's entering what is the equivalent of puberty for Gods. There are physiological changes, including a growth spurt accompanied by denser musculature and bone tissue. Dani also seems to have "god awareness" or limited omniscience, fully cognizant of facts and occurrences without quite knowing how she came into that information. Ironically, as things go bananas with her physically and mentally, she begins to exercise unprecedent mastery of her mutant powers. As Odin prophesied decades prior, Dani discovers that she can disrupt energy in all its forms, including magic. The more powerful the form of energy, the more effective the negation. But it doesn't stop there. Dani also discovers that she has what she calls a Dreamwalker power, which enables her to move between worlds and dimensions like Gods do. Indeed, it is the aforementioned Loki who first spots Dani passing through the dream dimension -- a rarity, as gods usually only use this power when they've been invoked by a supplicant or worshiper. Dani is too young and relatively unknown to have worshipers. A clear sign to Loki that a God has opened this path for Dani in hopes that she may eventually find her way "home." The only real question is which god? A question for another day. Right now Dani is just trying to find a pair of jeans to fit her 6'3" looking like a Cheyenne Serena Williams frame!

I wouldn’t reboot it. I’d just streamline it. I’d just have four books. It worked well in the 80’s and 90’s before things got out of hand. I’m not going to do rosters because them it just becomes making dream teams.

Uncanny X-Men (twice a month) - Main book. Stick with a core team of six or seven with rotations. Maybe even have two core teams and take advantage of the twice a month stories. Based in the school, this would be the home base for all of the X-Men, including available inactive members who are on call if needed. Colossus has a colonoscopy on Tuesday? Send Rockslide. Wolverine has a date Saturday night? Looks like X-23 has to cancel her plans. I’d keep the Xavier/Magneto team up dynamic to run the team, with Scott and Ororo as squad leaders.

X-Factor - With so much tension involving mutants over the last few years, we try going back to having a squad of mutants who work for the government and are the public face of the X-Men. Alex did it before. He even led an Avengers team. So he’s had experience being a public face. Give him a team of mutants who can put on a good public face. This team will also be the one to interact with the rest of the Marvel Universe on a regular basis. They won’t be regulated to only dealing with mutant villains. The Frightful Four are on the attack, but the Fantastic Four is off world? They’re your guys. Electro has absorbed all of the electricity in a Washington DC, but Spider-Man is in New York? Let’s do it. Galactus has taken Sabretooth as his newest herald? Mutant AND non-Mutant situation there.

Excalibur - International X-Men. Bring Kitty, Kurt, and Rachel back to England and build a new team. Possibly even just bringing in Betsy, Brian, and Meggan to join them. Maybe grab other European or Asian characters and build a team. Make this book deal with the non-US world and even go back to tradition and give it a light hearted spin.

New Mutants - With all of the original New Mutants adults now, and even the New X-Men are old enough now to be full X-Men, having a book with the new young students seems prudent. Give it the feel of the old New Mutants books where they sneak out and do stuff and get in trouble. This could be a good book for introducing new characters.