Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

The columns are also just basically not there for Guts, which completely throws all assumptions Serpico has about his striking ability. But from what you're saying, it sounds like Tanjirou has more striking power. Without really knowing more than what's been said in this thread, I feel like the cannon plus having a much longer weapon that he can wield more effectively than guys like Griffith and Serpico can use sabres are probably going to let him take a majority. I think Guts might need to get to melee range to get the shot off, but I think he can handle that long enough to do it.

He literally just has to breathe to activate it.
    Fair enough. I'm gonna say depending on how you think some of the involved factors fall, one of them is probably taking 7/10. Not quite clear enough that I think either is going to take 100%. It seems like somewhat better stats across the board vs experience and better gear.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 08-24-2019 at 02:57 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Yeah, Guts is actually a very tricky fighter. Or at least he was before he got the Berserker Armour. Sans armour he tended to do more smart plays and use gear a lot more.

Stuff like that should take Tanjirou off guard and get him a few wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Neither of those shots make it look remotely house sized.
    Small house Nik. Single-room cottage, treehouse, hut, what have you. The close up shows the boulder to be the size of a small house. A house the size of the boulder in the second picture would have more than enough room for a few people to sleep in and a stove.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Small house Nik. Single-room cottage, treehouse, hut, what have you. The close up shows the boulder to be the size of a small house. A house the size of the boulder in the second picture would have more than enough room for a few people to sleep in and a stove.
    See I feel that here's where specificity in terms is the issue here.

You say "small house," I live in a small house and I could fit that boulder in my living room just about.

Like, if you said like a hut or a yurt I'd agree but that conjures a very different image than a "small house,"

Gazebo, perhaps?

Speaking broadly, Tanjirou at his base has some degree of enhanced speed. When he uses his breath techniques, he gets significantly faster. Water Breath, his standard breathing type makes him faster, Fire God Dance makes him considerably faster than that and if he manifests his mark (bloodline ability type thing) he gets faster again.

A good feat of showing the jump between the two breathing types, when fighting a demon, Tanjirou in his water breathing technique is able to keep up. The demon then absorbs parts of her body that are hidden elsewhere and goes back to her full power. She then is able to full on disappear and blitz Tanjirou. She uses these sash/tentacles that are whipping around so fast they are invisible.

Tanjirou then loses his **** and goes into Dance of the Fire God and notes that, as he's fighting her now, all of her sash attacks and movements seem to be in slow motion to him.

So it's a really big jump in terms of his speed.

Later he fights Akaza again and Akaza is notably faster than Fire God even with the amp of his birthmark. Tanjirou then got another boost in the form of completely mastering his battle spirit and entering the see-through world.

Idk if that makes him able to dodge a cannon ball but he's very quick at this punt in time in the manga.
    Is water even relevant anymore or just lower tier than fire for Tanjirou?

See I feel that here's where specificity in terms is the issue here.

You say "small house," I live in a small house and I could fit that boulder in my living room just about.

Like, if you said like a hut or a yurt I'd agree but that conjures a very different image than a "small house,"

Gazebo, perhaps?
    I'll give that other terms such as a gazebo would be more specific, because people's ideas of a small house will differ considerably based on culture and available land.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Is water even relevant anymore or just lower tier than fire for Tanjirou?
    There was brief period where Tanjirou was combining the water and fire god breaths together get a breath that got some of the damage/speed boost of fire god without instantly exhausting himself.

However, since completing his training with the Hashira and getting better at controlling his mark, he seems to have overcome the stamina issues he had with it and I don't think he's used water breathing since. Tanjirou noted that he never had very good compatibility with water breathing overall and the fire god dance draws out much more of his latent power.

There was brief period where Tanjirou was combining the water and fire god breaths together get a breath that got some of the damage/speed boost of fire god without instantly exhausting himself.

However, since completing his training with the Hashira and getting better at controlling his mark, he seems to have overcome the stamina issues he had with it and I don't think he's used water breathing since. Tanjirou noted that he never had very good compatibility with water breathing overall and the fire god dance draws out much more of his latent power.
    I like that reason, at least. It's not necessarily that fire is just better than water, since even now Giyuu is around Tanjirou's level as you say. But rather that Tanjirou is just. a lot better with fire breathing, perhaps something he takes after his dad.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Just a note because I peeked at the fight with the pillars again: I misremembered Serpico's reaction to Guts just cutting through the pillars; it's Guts reading his moves that screws him up, not Guts going through the pillars (which Serpico does note to be reinforced as well). Serpico says the pillars are stopping his swings from hitting their top velocity, though it certainly doesn't LOOK that way.

It's probably a decent speed feat in that fight when Guts flips his whole massive sword around like two times and gets an attack in while a pillar is crumbling, defending himself and Serpico from the falling debris while also attacking Serpico. Catching crossbow quarrels is still probably the best for establishing his baseline though. There's also this bit here: https://imgur.com/undefined with Serpico pulling some superspeed and Guts just catching him.

Yeah, Guts is actually a very tricky fighter. Or at least he was before he got the Berserker Armour. Sans armour he tended to do more smart plays and use gear a lot more.
    To be fair, he still tends to be tricky in fights where it's actually possible, it's just that once he got the armour, the world started going "okay now fight five thousand alligator men and an evil hurricane."
    Last edited by BitVyper; 08-24-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

I feel like whatever Guts has with strength feats , Tanjiro can easily match. Earlier in the beginning of the series (around the point he was fighting Rui, he was able to easily chop down a tree without any breathing requires