Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crossovers that just didnt work

There have been tons of crossovers in media. From Comics to tv shows. What are some of the ones that just didnt work?

For me it was The Simpsons Family Guy crossover. The style of humor is just too different. Like the prank call where Stewie tells Moe his sister is being raped. Just didnt work on The Simpsons.

So what are some others that have bombed?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Bones and Sleepy Hollow. One is a regular procedural cop show. The other involves supernatural elements. There was no reason for it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

This was an oddity back in the day.

Not long after starting publishing a line of Transformers comics during the 1980's Marvel decided to have them cross-over with Spider-Man. This was the issue:

This seemed to establish that the Transformers had arrived on the mainstream Marvel earth and were part of that continuity. It obviously didn't work for someone as it was completely ignored from that moment onward and never referenced again.

Speaking of Spider-Man crossovers, there was also the much more recent example of him joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe to great effect.

This one was really good but unfortunately it looks like the greediest organisation on the face of the planet have helped to nip it in the bud.

All hail the mouse, our corporate overlords!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Speaking of Spider-Man crossovers, there was also the much more recent example of him joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe to great effect.

This one was really good but unfortunately it looks like the greediest organisation on the face of the planet have helped to nip it in the bud.

All hail the mouse, our corporate overlords!
    It's interesting that I see many people giving Disney flak for being quite greedy, but as far as I've seen, this is sort of attitude I see from pretty much every big business corporation, considering the capitalist world we live in after all, so it's not like the corporate business execs at Sony are incapable of being like this either. That said, I feel bad for the creative teams that wanted to do more great stuff with Spider-Man in the MCU, but can't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    It's interesting that I see many people giving Disney flak for being quite greedy, but as far as I've seen, this is sort of attitude I see from pretty much every big business corporation, considering the capitalist world we live in after all, so it's not like the corporate business execs at Sony are incapable of being like this either. That said, I feel bad for the creative teams that wanted to do more great stuff with Spider-Man in the MCU, but can't anymore.
    To be honest, that last post was done slightly tongue in cheek. Maybe I should have made that clearer. I just found it rather apt that this thread would be started at the same time that the Disney/Sony Spider-Man deal goes south.

I agree that we live in an overbearingly corporate world these days and greed is commonplace in big business. Personally, I find the mouse's particular brand of avarice hard to stomach though. I will be VERY surprised if the breakdown between the two companies isn't at least partly down to the mouse's never ending search for ever more levels of cash and control.

Back on topic, I seem to remember there being a crossover between the Image heroes of the 1990's and Sonic The Hedgehog of all things. I don't recall reading or seeing it but I bet it was weird.

This was an oddity back in the day.

Not long after starting publishing a line of Transformers comics during the 1980's Marvel decided to have them cross-over with Spider-Man. This was the issue:

This seemed to establish that the Transformers had arrived on the mainstream Marvel earth and were part of that continuity. It obviously didn't work for someone as it was completely ignored from that moment onward and never referenced again.
    There were a couple more references to the Marvel Universe... or 'a' Marvel Universe, as the Dinobots had landed in the Savage Land and the Neo-Knights appeared in one of the Marvel crossover group scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    There were a couple more references to the Marvel Universe... or 'a' Marvel Universe, as the Dinobots had landed in the Savage Land and the Neo-Knights appeared in one of the Marvel crossover group scenes.
    Yeah, you're right. I'm not sure what the Neo Knights reference is but they definitely did initially place the deactivated Dinobots in some version of the Savage Land.

If memory serves me correctly Ratchet digs them out of a tar-pit there. I'd forgotten about that detail. Happy to clarify.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Super Mario Bros. and The Question...

The X-Files/Ghostbusters did a crossover in the comics where the Lone Gunman showed up to check out the Ghostbusters.

X-Files whole thing about mysteries and the unexplained doesn't work in a world where Ghosts have been proven to be real, people watched the Statue of Liberty and a 50 foot marshmallow man walk through the streets of New York.

Cartoon Network has habit of just really bizarre crossovers, that don't really make any sense in terms of tone.

Teen Titans Go and Powerpuff Girls
    Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe

I did like Billy and Mandy and Kids next door though...
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Cartoon Network has habit of just really bizarre crossovers, that don't really make any sense in terms of tone.

Teen Titans Go and Powerpuff Girls
    I liked this one. It was goofy and fun to watch.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Bones and Sleepy Hollow. One is a regular procedural cop show. The other involves supernatural elements. There was no reason for it.
    As a fan of both shows, yeah, that was awkward and unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The X-Files/Ghostbusters did a crossover in the comics where the Lone Gunman showed up to check out the Ghostbusters.

X-Files whole thing about mysteries and the unexplained doesn't work in a world where Ghosts have been proven to be real, people watched the Statue of Liberty and a 50 foot marshmallow man walk through the streets of New York.
    Good choice.

Oddly, I could actually see this working say, during the original movie (an untold tale), as the Ghost Busters were largely considered hoaxes.

Yeah, you're right. I'm not sure what the Neo Knights reference is but they definitely did initially place the deactivated Dinobots in some version of the Savage Land.

If memory serves me correctly Ratchet digs them out of a tar-pit there. I'd forgotten about that detail. Happy to clarify.
    Oh, the Neo-Knights are the forgotten semi-X-Men knockoff superheroes. They were organized by G.B. Blackrock and included Circuit Breaker, and three others-- a Storm-like guy, a telepath, and a Beast-ish dude. They didn't do anything in the crossover, I think, but they just were there likely as a way to have Marvel retain rights to them instead of Hasbro or something.

As for crossovers that didn't work for me?

I dunno... I like most of the ones I've seen. As long as everyone's in character or it's clearly an alternate universe, I'm pretty flexible.

Wasn't there a x files picket fences crossover?

As for transformers it was planned to be part of the main universe like shogun warriors and Godzilla was. They changed their mind after around issue 14 and said those were the transformers universe versions of the marvel heroes. Spider-man, alien costume, nick fury, roxxon, savage land plus they talk about Godzilla and the fantastic four are all in that universe. Tony stark was planned at one point also and it get stranger as the uk stories had dr who and the real ghostbusters ties as well as marvel owned heroes death's head and circuit breaker both who made their way in some form to the main universe.

Neo knights are confusing because we heard one group say Hasbro owns them and another say marvel owns them. Marvel was going to send them to the main universe in their own comic but it never got made. Death's head and circuit breaker marvel owns but who knows about the neo-knights.

Then they did avengers transformers which idw confirmed was in their idw transformers comics universe. That universe also has rom, micronauts, gijoe, visionaries, and mask also!