Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Oh no, get well soon Willow.

Hope she gets well.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    What do people think about Wilson's interview in DC Nation #4?
    What surprised me---or should I say SCARED me---most is that in the interview, she noted Robinson's recent and atrocious run as one of her all-time favorite Wonder Woman runs. That REALLY worries me. It's almost like she hasn't really read much Wonder Woman, isn't really too familiar with the character comic book wise, and just named the most recent stuff she could get her hands on at the last minute. I hope that's not the case.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    What surprised me---or should I say SCARED me---most is that in the interview, she noted Robinson's recent and atrocious run as one of her all-time favorite Wonder Woman runs. That REALLY worries me. It's almost like she hasn't really read much Wonder Woman, isn't really too familiar with the character comic book wise, and just named the most recent stuff she could get her hands on at the last minute. I hope that's not the case.
    I was worried, too, but I think the wording of that interview was more that the interviewer asked her about it, and she offered her opinion.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Reading the answers closely gives some different nuances, and of course they were going to ask her about her impression of the most recent run.

Rucka's Rebirth run is mentioned as the one "that I go back to most when it comes to Wonder Woman". She also mentions its "incredible balance" between character beats and epicness; my impression is that Wilson will take its main inspiration from there, especially with regard to Diana's character. With Simone she mentions "drama and humor" and that she loves it. So again it points to character-level inspiration.

With Robinson, it goes to "reading and enjoying", "on a purely genre level", and "that high-fantasy soft spot". Ie, she might take inspiration in plots or milieus from Robinson, but likely not about Diana as a character. Note that she could have said exactly the same words about Azzarello's run!

When reading these takes, it's often as much about what they don't mention as what they do mention.

Guys she isn’t going to crap on a co-worker at DC. That’s just basic PR. She’s clearly looking more towards Rucka’s run than anything else.

I’m excited for her to join WW! I think she will do a great job! I feel like Diana will do more than just be WW. Maybe G. Willow will develop relationships with Donna and Cassie but also move Steve and Diana’s relationship to the next level

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Reading the answers closely gives some different nuances, and of course they were going to ask her about her impression of the most recent run.

Rucka's Rebirth run is mentioned as the one "that I go back to most when it comes to Wonder Woman". She also mentions its "incredible balance" between character beats and epicness; my impression is that Wilson will take its main inspiration from there, especially with regard to Diana's character. With Simone she mentions "drama and humor" and that she loves it. So again it points to character-level inspiration.

With Robinson, it goes to "reading and enjoying", "on a purely genre level", and "that high-fantasy soft spot". Ie, she might take inspiration in plots or milieus from Robinson, but likely not about Diana as a character. Note that she could have said exactly the same words about Azzarello's run!

When reading these takes, it's often as much about what they don't mention as what they do mention.
    Agreed. And I'm hoping she also means Rucka's first run. The way she talked about Robinson was very vague and puff-piece, whereas she talked about more meat from Rucka and Simone, which is all of the good.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm sure she was just being nice.

I'd be overjoyed if she picked up on some of the dangling plot threads though. I dropped the book, but the Psycho/Vanessa stuff never went anywhere did it? Maybe she can salvage that mess. Also, she's read the old Marston comics and Rucka's run, so hopefully Cale recruiting the old Villainy Inc members won't be lost on her and she'll do something with that.

I wish she would just ignore everything past writers did
    and just write the Diana she always envision.
    Rucka and Byrne and Jimenez and Simone and Robinson and Perez and
    most others took Wonder Woman in there own direction and gave little
    concern to what came before.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I wish she would just ignore everything past writers did
    and just write the Diana she always envision.
    Rucka and Byrne and Jimenez and Simone and Robinson and Perez and
    most others took Wonder Woman in there own direction and gave little
    concern to what came before.
    Untrue. Jimenez, Rucka, and Simone all paid a great deal of homage to each other and to Perez. Rucka also paid a lot of attention to Azz - he just did his best to make it possible to ignore Azz's screwing with Diana's core concept. For those who love Azz's Diana, that's probably not great, but as someone who hated Azz's "contributions," I am 100% for it.

Yea one thing that bugs me is the fact many writers just start back to almost zero but that’s one thing so far I’m liking about rebirth . Writers are able to tell their own stories but also knowledge the characters history that have been built

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hope she pulls through ok. Maybe they should delay her debut and let Orlando keep going until she’s ready to start. He’s doing ok.
    I would be quite fine with this. However, I would say that at this point in time, Orlando probably already has other things lined up to fill that slot (Martian Manhunter most likely.)

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I’m excited for her to join WW! I think she will do a great job! I feel like Diana will do more than just be WW. Maybe G. Willow will develop relationships with Donna and Cassie but also move Steve and Diana’s relationship to the next level
    Yeah, the Wonder Girls need some love, especially Cassie who's currently not appearing anywhere. She'd probably do a good job with it, we know from Ms Marvel that Willow can handle writing teenagers. And of course Donna and Cassie's relationships with Diana could be similar to Kamala's with Carol Danvers. The mentor they trust, but who they rarely see because the senior hero lets the kids have their own space.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Yea one thing that bugs me is the fact many writers just start back to almost zero but that’s one thing so far I’m liking about rebirth . Writers are able to tell their own stories but also knowledge the characters history that have been built
    I’m of the belief that part of the reason Batman has done so well is he has basically an unbroken line of writers from O’Neil to now building on each other. Heck more recently you’ve got Morrison drawing from everyone, Snyder building on Morrison, and King building on both of them. You might not personally enjoy what each writer is or has done but they’ve have all enjoyed various degrees of success. How can anyone ever build up Diana and her cast, and her rogues if each writer trashes everything that came before? The answer is you can’t.