Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Looks like we're getting another surprise. When do the october solicits come out? https://www.newsarama.com/40781-wond...g-from-dc.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Looks like we're getting another surprise. When do the october solicits come out? https://www.newsarama.com/40781-wond...g-from-dc.html
    Ooooooo...let the theorizing begin!

Hoping that its a Sensation revival.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Wondering if it will be a weekly miniseries

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Wondering if it will be a weekly miniseries
    These were my first thoughts. I'm psyched for either if it is true.

I also wonder if it's something to do with Earth One, Historia or Diana's Daughter, though those aren't really surprises.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    But, I think that's the very point of Doctor Poison. New takes on some of these costumed villains could very well fit into the stories GWW will be writing and it's not introducing them for their own sake.

To a degree, I'd make the same case with Superman as Wonder Woman, it's in DC's best interests to dig into the bench of characters and villains these character's have over their long histories and rebirth/revamp them into a contemporary version.

I mean, Wonder fans can't live on Ares and Cheetah and Circe and Darkseid and Veronica Cale alone.

Diana's foes, in particular, haven't been mined or invested in nearly enough despite some interesting concepts (even those only on a surface level) that can play out thematically or fit the stories writers want to tell.

I'm ready to see more than brief, supporting moments of Silver Swan, Doctor Psycho, Doctor Cyber, Giganta, Doctor Poison, and Angle Man. I'm ready to broaden the her rogues gallery with substantial interpretations and appearances of Queen Clea, Zara, Eviless, Duke Dazam, Anton Unreal, Heracles, Hypnota, Inversion, the Mask, Osira, Astarte, Dark Angel, Queen of Fables, Villainy Inc., Skrill, Zardor, Adjudicator, etc.

She has interesting villains that never get used to use a springboard to tell a lot a of stories.
    Preach. Sumo and other unfortunate stereotypes can probably stay in limbo, but there is no good reason to not invest in the others. it wouldn't be good to have them just for the sake of having them (that type of storytelling never is), but ideally we want a writer who wants to use them and build places for them in the story.

If Wilson wants to create new villains, and her comic is great, that's ultimately all the matters. But I don't see why we can't have a great comic using underutilized villains either. Or a mix of old and new. It's not like any of them get lots of use, so the overused complaint that all of Batman's big name villains get wouldn't apply here. Even Diana's big name villains don't get overused much compared to Lex and Joker.

I'm hoping Wilson at least continues to use Cheetah, Circe, Veronica and Dr. Cyber, if not pick up on one of Robinson's few good ideas by expanding Godwatch into Villainy Inc with Zara, Blue Snowman, etc. Cheetah was practically the deutragonist of Rucka's run and she's getting focus in JL now, not to mention the movie, so I wouldn't mind terribly if she sits this one out (would still love to see her though). I'd rather Circe in particular get some focus for a bit.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I don't know how I feel about Nord on WW... I want him to stay on The Unexpected
    This is what's killing me about DC of late. Just as I'm getting happily comfortable with an artist they send them packing onto another book. I'm enjoying him on The Unexpected as well and now this WW news...WTF?

As much as they like to copy from each other, there are some things DC should never adopt from Marvel...viz. "Revolving-door" artists and Double Shipping.

As it is right now, WW is on my "wait and see" list. I'm not committing to it until I know How it's shipping and the duration of Nord's tenure.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

That would be great providing the series is set in continuity or at least, has it's own continuity with an permanent creative team. The last version of Sensation Comics was a let down with all of the Bat-villains appearing and only Cheetah, Dr. Psycho, and a cameo appearance by Angle Man for Diana's rogues.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Maybe it could be a mini or maxi series set around Diana getting to visit the real Paradise Island once again, setting up a big reunion of the family within the mythos. I think fans would be pretty hyped over something like that. Its high time she be able to get back, and what better way to commemorate that than to solidify the standings of Donna, Cassie, and others again in the process.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    But, I think that's the very point of Doctor Poison. New takes on some of these costumed villains could very well fit into the stories GWW will be writing and it's not introducing them for their own sake.

To a degree, I'd make the same case with Superman as Wonder Woman, it's in DC's best interests to dig into the bench of characters and villains these character's have over their long histories and rebirth/revamp them into a contemporary version.

I mean, Wonder fans can't live on Ares and Cheetah and Circe and Darkseid and Veronica Cale alone.

Diana's foes, in particular, haven't been mined or invested in nearly enough despite some interesting concepts (even those only on a surface level) that can play out thematically or fit the stories writers want to tell.

I'm ready to see more than brief, supporting moments of Silver Swan, Doctor Psycho, Doctor Cyber, Giganta, Doctor Poison, and Angle Man. I'm ready to broaden the her rogues gallery with substantial interpretations and appearances of Queen Clea, Zara, Eviless, Duke Dazam, Anton Unreal, Heracles, Hypnota, Inversion, the Mask, Osira, Astarte, Dark Angel, Queen of Fables, Villainy Inc., Skrill, Zardor, Adjudicator, etc.

She has interesting villains that never get used to use a springboard to tell a lot a of stories.
    "The War Of Jokes And Riddles" wasn't really any sort of a "New" take on most of those villains. I'd also say that the story didn't really revolve around "Interesting Concepts".

It was simply a story that those characters fit into.

Since Wilson doesn't seem to be telling that sort of a story, I see no reason to include them just for the sake of doing so.

To me, "Story" is going to trump "Using/Updating Characters" every single time. I would much rather see a solid writer pen a solid story than a story that's just decent happen just for the sake of rogues updates or appearances. Never mind that some of them are old enough concepts that there is nothing wrong with just leaving them in the past.

Thinking about it some more, the other "surprise" for WW might have something to do with the new power she's supposed to display in JLD #3 in September. Maybe the October issue goes more in depth with it and it has a surprising origin or something.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Big, huge win for DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Big, huge win for DC.
    Yep.

This may very well be the most interesting pickup they have going into the fall. It's good to see them seemingly making the title a priority again.

Wilson? Well, this is a good way to make me interested in WW again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That would be great providing the series is set in continuity or at least, has it's own continuity with an permanent creative team. The last version of Sensation Comics was a let down with all of the Bat-villains appearing and only Cheetah, Dr. Psycho, and a cameo appearance by Angle Man for Diana's rogues.
    Agreed. I really don't want another Sensation anthology series. My preference is for an in continuity version, akin to Superman and Action.

I mean, she's one of the Big 3 and deserves to have her Wonder Woman and Sensation combo, every bit as much as Superman/Action and Batman/Detective. A ton of current Wonder Woman reader would probably buy two ongoing titles, so I don't know what their thinking is or data says about a second Wonder Woman cannibalizing other titles they deem more important that perform poorer than Wonder Woman. (But I'm not an expert or analyzer of the monthly sales data as part of my fandom.)