Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Yes--this really comes across in Madeline Miller's novel recent novel Circe, where despite being a daughter of Helios, Circe has the voice of a mortal and is more vulnerable than other gods. Her vulnerability, combined with her talent for forbidden witchcraft, becomes a big part of her motivations, and she becomes a sympathetic character; I think this could be a good angle for a Wonder Woman run or "elseworlds," and this version of Circe could even become Diana's ally. It might even work in Wilson's run; if she's going to play around with the idea of a relatively friendly Ares, maybe she could do the same with Circe.
    Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines: to me mythological Circe is not an outright villain, more obstacle or problematic ally. (And having her in the current arc of Justice League Dark would fit in so many ways.)

As for finding a good Wonder Woman artist, I still haven't found a favourite. Chiang is one of the few who can consistently draw non-sexualised but attractive and powerful women, but he uses the same face for every woman he draws, and that is a problem he shares with so many other comics artists. De Liz feels like she should be my favourite, but at the same time it feels like everyone she draws becomes chubby.

Nicola Scott probably is the best at both drawing Wonder Woman realistic while not making her look more sexual and hot than she naturally is.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I just hope Wilson gets to invest some time into Diana's relationship with donna and cassie

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I agree Diana looks a bit waifish, though given the emphasis on synergy with the films, it's probably not too surprising. I like the clean lined, appealing quality to it. I'm actually pretty excited about this upcoming run now...
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I agree Diana looks a bit waifish, though given the emphasis on synergy with the films, it's probably not too surprising. I like the clean lined, appealing quality to it. I'm actually pretty excited about this upcoming run now...
    Some artists are straight up drawing her as Gadot now which is to be expected.

What do people think about Wilson's interview in DC Nation #4? I admit, I'm not super excited about the idea of more politics, but I'm hoping that it's like the politics of Rucka's first run - political issues, not agit-prop about current affairs.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

What do people think about Wilson's interview in DC Nation #4? I admit, I'm not super excited about the idea of more politics, but I'm hoping that it's like the politics of Rucka's first run - political issues, not agit-prop about current affairs.
    I’m just hoping we are able to see two sides of the character. Who is Wonder Woman? And who is Princess Diana? I would love to see her do royal duties in man world, Bana Migdall, and also Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I’m just hoping we are able to see two sides of the character. Who is Wonder Woman? And who is Princess Diana? I would love to see her do royal duties in man world, Bana Migdall, and also Themyscira.
    That would be awesome...though the ONE THING that seems to have stuck from Rucka's Rebirth run is that Themiscyra is off limits. Which, sadly, is the thing I like least about the run. It was a nice tragic moment (actually, in both his runs - Mission's End and The Lies and The Truth).

The BIGGEST thing I want to see from anyone is this (and maybe I'm petty, but it's really important to me): STOP referencing Diana's "paternity" or status as "child of Zeus." It is the absolute worst thing from the n52 run (and that's counting how sick the Amazons were). I don't care if that's the editorial status quo right now: Rucka made it possible to ignore that and just tell Wonder Woman stories. Stop insisting that we reference it.

Wonder Woman has been deeply political since her creation, and I'd argue that trying to de-politicise her has done more damage to her character than anything else. After all, half of her job in going to Man's World was in changing it.

I really doubt that Wilson is out to write political pamphlets, after all Ms Marvel wasn't written that way. But I read her as someone who has has political and ideological principles and knowledge, who is well aware that most everything has a political dimension, and is not afraid from exploring the political aspects that can come up in stories. And Wonder Woman inherently carries with herself questions of feminism, intersectionality, gender theory, and class. She also should lend herself well to environmental and sexual health issues.

Also, I'd say that any serious examination of Diana's political stances towards our world would have to begin to acknowledge that she's so far outside mainstream positions that she's not even on the map.

I agree that she's an inherently subversive character, and that is a political element. I don't know enough about her history over the long term to make judgments about de-politicization or not. And I also completely agree that she intends to change Man's world, and that should be a major part of her character's motivations and actions.

As I said in my post, Rucka tackled that - it was exciting, and he had Diana take logical and sometimes controversial stances - but it was also written in such a way that lots of people embraced the run - on many sides of the political spectrum. I hope that Wilson approaches it in the same way.

The problem with that is that too often, when someone like, say, Bendis, has said "Oh, we need to make Superman more political now," it becomes not necessarily agitprop (which has plagued Captain America for at least two years now), but a bunch of sly digs that too easily translate to current policy position statements that limit the widespread appeal among differing perspectives. I'm hoping that Wilson avoids this issue, as I think she mostly has with her Ms. Marvel run (though I admit I stopped reading after Civil War II ran through the series like a wrecking ball.)

I'm down with Diana being political under GWW's pen, but to realize that within the superheroic world she operates in. The fact that Raza Kattuah will be a player/instigator in the showdown with the Bana Mighdall, gives me hope because it will deliver on that with a side of action and adventure.

I'm all for keeping Diana "political" if GWW can start using some of her characters and concepts through that "super" lens. Plenty of her adversaries have that potential, whether it's the Mask, Queen Clea, Giganta, Eviless, etc.

To me, what's going to define a creator's success on Wonder Woman is starting to move past godly and Olympian threats and start digging deeper into her supervillain concepts in a meaningful way so we aren't reading about Cheetah, Circe, Veronica Cale, and Ares ad nauseum. There's room for dynamic and thematic and political tales using and developing Angle Man, Superwoman, Doctor Psycho, Medusa, Doctor Cyber, etc. into starring, nuanced, and complex villainous-adversarial characters.

G.

Verified account

@GWillowWilson
    4h
    4 hours ago

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated, but I am dealing with an ongoing medical emergency and will probably need surgery within the next few weeks. Please keep me in your thoughts.
    Sucks to hear she's having issues but here's to a speedy recovery.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-10-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hope she pulls through ok. Maybe they should delay her debut and let Orlando keep going until she’s ready to start. He’s doing ok.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery too.

Given that solicitations are out, I guess the first arc is already well ahead in the pipeline. Hopefully DC has enough slack in their schedule that they can handle any delays related to this.

I suppose they could delay Willow's start and do a fill-in, solicits have been changed after announcement before (Detective's Outsiders arc started one issue later than originally planned, for example). Of course this affects Marvel as well, as she's still doing Ms Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman