Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Until it's further clarified, we have no reason to think that that's the case. As it is now, she either didn't have any divine strength before Year One or didn't have enough to create a significant gap between her and the other Amazons, and then Athena lead the patrons in granting her powers.

Jason may have had inherent powers due to his connection with Zeus. But I'm fine with quietly pretending Jason never existed, so...

Yeah, Jason having powers from seemingly the get-go does seem to clash with Rucka's run a bit but perhaps Zeus activated his powers once Hippolyta gave him up to help protect him.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I am supremely confident we will start seeing a Diana who owns this book and her life.
    A Wonder Woman who will not be taught any lesson from any man
    A woman who will struggle and make mistakes, but they will all come to her
    and through her, and only she will find the strength and resolve to conquer.
    There will be no Jason or Zeus or Ares and Maxwell or Trevor or any other
    old or new, that will take charge and make her look needing or just plain
    stupid..............
    The days of Diana having her book held captive so a writer can create a man
    who will be better in some way than Diana is going to end beginning with
    issue #58

I'm okay with some of the gods involved in GWW's run (obviously we're getting that with Ares and Aphrodite) some of the time, as long as they're involved in intrigues with Diana's other costumed foes we haven't seen in forever. I'm looking at you Angle Man, Giganta, Doctor Pyscho, Inversion, Doctor Cyber, and others.

I love Diana's Olympian roots and backdrop, but sometimes her stories are like if we were reading Superman and he only encountered Zod and crew, and Brainiac, and Cythonna again, and again, and again.

I'm ready for more earthly intrigues with Eviless, Silver Swan, Villainy Inc., Queen Clea, etc. too.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Until it's further clarified, we have no reason to think that that's the case. As it is now, she either didn't have any divine strength before Year One or didn't have enough to create a significant gap between her and the other Amazons, and then Athena lead the patrons in granting her powers.

Jason may have had inherent powers due to his connection with Zeus. But I'm fine with quietly pretending Jason never existed, so...
    The fact that we need “further clarification” goes to prove my point, it’s not clear how Wonder Woman got her powers, but we do have reasons to believe Diana didn’t receive any blessings. For one thing, we didn’t see it, and for another, her twin sibling was born with powers. And then there’s the golden suit with the Gods’ blessings that was meant for her

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    The fact that we need “further clarification” goes to prove my point, it’s not clear how Wonder Woman got her powers, but we do have reasons to believe Diana didn’t receive any blessings. For one thing, we didn’t see it, and for another, her twin sibling was born with powers. And then there’s the golden suit with the Gods’ blessings that was meant for her
    Just because Jason was born with powers doesn't mean Diana was. Zeus' kids inheriting powers from him was very uncommon.

We have reason to believe that one writer completely ignored what the previous one did, which is an unfortunate pattern in the book. Yes, Diana received gifts while in the cell, which is why she didn't rip the bars off prior to that.

But then yes, a writer came along (Robinson) who intentionally took a twin brother and gave him greater powers than his sister because...well, that's left up to speculation.

Robinson's run just made no sense in light of what Rucka's run set up. He didn't give Diana powers until after the contest so that Diana didn't 'cheat' to win - she beat the other Amazons on their own terms, fair and square.

Diana, previously, had no uber powers before the gods came to her (which we saw) in the cell and gave her gifts. Then along come a bunch of siblings, all with powers, all of whom are murdered despite these powers, and a twin who also has powers above and beyond what Diana had at the start *plus* super-Zeus powers Diana seemed to lack.

Robinson ignored what Rucka did, pure and simple, so he could tell his story about Jason, who became the centerpiece of the book for his entire run. He wasn't telling Diana's story, he was telling Jason's and it didn't seem to matter to him or to the editor(s) how much of the previous run got contradicted.

But there was no ambiguity in Rucka's retelling of the contest and the gifts from the gods. Nothing was unclear to me at all, he simply avoided the clay vs Zeus aspect of the previous run.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    We have reason to believe that one writer completely ignored what the previous one did, which is an unfortunate pattern in the book. Yes, Diana received gifts while in the cell, which is why she didn't rip the bars off prior to that.

But then yes, a writer came along (Robinson) who intentionally took a twin brother and gave him greater powers than his sister because...well, that's left up to speculation.

Robinson's run just made no sense in light of what Rucka's run set up. He didn't give Diana powers until after the contest so that Diana didn't 'cheat' to win - she beat the other Amazons on their own terms, fair and square.

Diana, previously, had no uber powers before the gods came to her (which we saw) in the cell and gave her gifts. Then along come a bunch of siblings, all with powers, all of whom are murdered despite these powers, and a twin who also has powers above and beyond what Diana had at the start *plus* super-Zeus powers Diana seemed to lack.

Robinson ignored what Rucka did, pure and simple, so he could tell his story about Jason, who became the centerpiece of the book for his entire run. He wasn't telling Diana's story, he was telling Jason's and it didn't seem to matter to him or to the editor(s) how much of the previous run got contradicted.

But there was no ambiguity in Rucka's retelling of the contest and the gifts from the gods. Nothing was unclear to me at all, he simply avoided the clay vs Zeus aspect of the previous run.
    Well said. Wish it weren't the case, but ugh, I desperately hope Wilson recorrects towards Rucka rather than Robinson. I think she likely will, given how she phrased her comments about all of the runs.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

We don't really have any reason to believe she didn't receive blessings. We in fact have more reason to believe she did. She displays no superhuman powers before Athena and the rest visit her in her cell, and she does after. They either gave her the powers or unlocked something, but they definitely had a hand for why she was suddenly flying. There is no other way to interpret the way that plays out.

What Jason was born with is irrelevant. Zeus's kids don't get consistent gifts even in the actual mythology, and we shouldn't be allowing Jason to dictate how Diana's story plays out. We likely will not be seeing him again for a while anyway. Zeus being nothing more than a sperm donor and not the source for Diana's powers is probably the best way to please as many fans as possible. She's not made of clay anymore, but she didn't get her powers from a man.

I thought it was pretty clear she was blessed by the godly menagerie that showed up while she was imprisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I thought it was pretty clear she was blessed by the godly menagerie that showed up while she was imprisoned.
    Same!!!10 char

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm okay with some of the gods involved in GWW's run (obviously we're getting that with Ares and Aphrodite) some of the time, as long as they're involved in intrigues with Diana's other costumed foes we haven't seen in forever. I'm looking at you Angle Man, Giganta, Doctor Pyscho, Inversion, Doctor Cyber, and others.

I love Diana's Olympian roots and backdrop, but sometimes her stories are like if we were reading Superman and he only encountered Zod and crew, and Brainiac, and Cythonna again, and again, and again.

I'm ready for more earthly intrigues with Eviless, Silver Swan, Villainy Inc., Queen Clea, etc. too.
    Hear hear! Give me Blue Snowman! Vulture King! Hypnota! Doctor Poison! Baron Boar de Boar! King Tassel! Zara! El Gaucho, Professor Psycho, Sharkeeta,

Though it doesn't necessarily have to be just earthly intriques. King Crystallar, the satanists of Saturn, Queen Solara, Meteor girl.....

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

Things didn’t seem quite so crystal-clear to me. It struck me as bit odd that Rucka skipped over the part where, one by one, the Patrons give their blessings to Diana, that seemed a bit suspicious to me and the scene certainly leaves room for doubt given how, again, everything happened offscreen, as it were. And knowing Wonder Woman had a twin brother waiting in the wings which, at that point, was still a hanging plot thread, I struggled to figure out how it all fit together. To this day, I’m still not sure what’s what and I don’t think Rebirth has given us any definitive answers

Things didn’t seem quite so crystal-clear to me. It struck me as bit odd that Rucka skipped over the part where, one by one, the Patrons give their blessings to Diana, that seemed a bit suspicious to me and the scene certainly leaves room for doubt given how, again, everything happened offscreen, as it were. And knowing Wonder Woman had a twin brother waiting in the wings which, at that point, was still a hanging plot thread, I struggled to figure out how it all fit together. To this day, I’m still not sure what’s what and I don’t think Rebirth has given us any definitive answers
    Respectfully, I disagree completely.

Rucka was trying to keep the gods mysterious - abstract ideas in the form of their animal avatars. What for Diana was a deep, spiritual moment would have come across as a Disney scene if she sits there while talking animals gave her individual powers.

Also, she talks about how all of the patrons were there without naming individuals, leaving writers a wide variety of options as to possible powers to give her down the line.

The problem again, imo, is that Robinson not only ignored that, but gave the *exact* same concept/powerset to Jason, instead, leaving Diana in the lurch in her own book.

We never saw Jason get the armor or the gods explain what powers it has, yet folks are accepting that at face value. He had whatever power was convenient to the plot given by the champion's armor from whichever god fit the bill.

In Rucka's origin for Diana's powers, we *see* the gods in the cell, we *hear* Diana identify them and clearly state who was there and what they had done. I don't need a frame-by-frame, blow-by-blow of the details - I think it would have been a waste of page space.

Jason? I'm still not sure who actually gave him the suit and why, or how he became instantly proficieint in its use, or what powers he actually has.

It's crystal clear in Rucka's run: the Greek gods visited Diana in her cell and gave her gifts. Now, those gifts are not spelled out explicitly, because that's not how Rucka choose to narrate things, but later on we can see them explored in a montage in Wonder Woman Rebirth #12: super-strength, flight, and communing with animals, and later in the issue Diana also straight out says those powers are gifts from her patrons.

(But I'm still bummed that Rucka left out Hestia.)

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    It's crystal clear in Rucka's run: the Greek gods visited Diana in her cell and gave her gifts. Now, those gifts are not spelled out explicitly, because that's not how Rucka choose to narrate things, but later on we can see them explored in a montage in Wonder Woman Rebirth #12: super-strength, flight, and communing with animals, and later in the issue Diana also straight out says those powers are gifts from her patrons.

(But I'm still bummed that Rucka left out Hestia.)
    Is it still canon that the magic lasso was empowered by Hestia? I can't remember if they explained the lasso's origin in Rebirth yet...