Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I kinda wish this was an actual thing just for the sheer whimsy. XD
    I wish there was some whimsy joke comics or backups sometimes. On the other hand, I dunno if I'd want to pay an extra dollar for joke comics. Hard to say...
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I wish there was some whimsy joke comics or backups sometimes. On the other hand, I dunno if I'd want to pay an extra dollar for joke comics. Hard to say...
    Well if DC can come up with yearly halloween anthologies and romance anthologies, they can spare time for something whimsical.
    Course, a digital first series is always an option too.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    We are so far from the thread topic right now, but I think the way that American comic distribution looks like right now doesn't really fit with how serialised mass media storytelling has worked historically, and that something has been lost in that development.

Fiction magazines (like The Strand or Astounding), early comics magazines, comics in most other parts of the world, and serial films are all examples of combining the serial storytelling with the anthology format. The reader gets a mix of material of varying length; some serialised, some not. The main disadvantage is that some readers will get stuff they don't want (I remember when reading The Phantom in my youth that I usually skipped the recurring backup feature of Mandrake the Magician). But there are long-term upsides to the anthology format:

• A natural way to groom new writers and tie them to the publisher, by writing backup features
    • Backup features can be used to test new characters and concepts, and have them reach new audiences
    • More flexibility in story length, not being tied to an exact number of pages. Double-length issues (like we see in Tynion's The Witching Hour) can be handled by simply skipping the main backup feature
    • Previews of other issues (like in Justice League Dark #3) don't shorten the main feature of the comic

On twitter, especially for anyone who happens to live in or near Seattle: G Willow Wilson will sign at Phoenix Comics on November 14, 6pm to 8pm.

Cary Nord has some Wonder sketches over on his IG account - I assume some may be from the upcoming run.

https://instagram.com/carynord?utm_s...=1o55kj9533h7f
    Last edited by WonderScott; 11-05-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Cary Nord has some Wonder sketches over on his IG account - I assume some may be from the upcoming run.

I like it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post

Reading the Witching Hour I was thinking how recently the =W= on her belt has been more prominent than her chestplate, Nord has reversed that and put her on a very strict diet. Meh, I don't dislike his art but I'm far from impressed.

I like his art very much, I'm just, like you, not that big a fan of making her as slim. Obviously an homage to Gadot, whom in the movies I think looks fantastic, but in the comics I like her to be bigger built.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I like his art very much, I'm just, like you, not that big a fan of making her as slim. Obviously an homage to Gadot, whom in the movies I think looks fantastic, but in the comics I like her to be bigger built.
    I tend to agree, but I'm willing to go with it for now. And I like that it's very confident and appealing art, not stiff.

The latest DC nation (#6) has a profile of Wilson; it's mainly soundbytes from other industry people and a bit about her background, but it has this to say about upcoming issues:

After recently losing her long-lost twin brother and taking control of a mystical band of heroes in JUSTICE LEAGE: DARK (sic!), Diana needs to contend with wordly and otherwordly threats staring (sic!) in November’s issue #58: Ares and several other notable figures from the pantheon of Greek gods return in unexpected ways, as does Diana's human but super-devious nemesis, Veronica Cale. Plus: the magical mayhem occuring in JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK causes ripple effects that will reverberate throughout G. Willow Wilson’s WONDER WOMAN run!
    Wilson also had this quote:

”It’s a challenge to find something new to say about a character who has been around for 75 years, yet still be faithful to the existing continuity,” she explains. ”I think that’s why it’s tempting to reinvent the wheel with each new relaunch: new origin, new backstory, the whole nine yards. That isn’t what [artist] Cary [Nord] and I are doing-we’re jumping straight into the existing timeline, which is much trickier to pull off in an interesting way.”
    So I hope Wilson and Tynion are at least sharing notes, and that Wilson intends to delve into the pieces she found worthwhile in all of the earlier Rebirth and post-Rebirth runs.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

VERY happy that Wilson will be using Cale. It would be strange not to, because Themyscira being accessible again would logically lead to something with Izzy.

Hopefully Dr. Cyber makes a return appearance as well. Robinson resolved their feud way too quickly. Since she read Rucka's first run, I wonder if Leslie Anderson will be re-introduced to be included in Adrianna's storyline?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm hoping Wilson will bring back Dr. Poison as well. She didn't get enough development in Rucka's run and I'd love to see her fleshed out more.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm hoping Wilson will bring back Dr. Poison as well. She didn't get enough development in Rucka's run and I'd love to see her fleshed out more.
    Yeah, definitely.

I hope the revamped Zara and Blue Snowman show up again as well. And the Cale/Cheetah rivalry needs to be addressed.

If there is one thing about Rucka's run that I hope that Wilson can address, it is his tendency to militarise characters. It's probably too late to remove it from Etta Candy and Steve Trevor, but I much prefer a nihilistic mad scientist Doctor Poison rather than a common mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    If there is one thing about Rucka's run that I hope that Wilson can address, it is his tendency to militarise characters. It's probably too late to remove it from Etta Candy and Steve Trevor, but I much prefer a nihilistic mad scientist Doctor Poison rather than a common mercenary.
    I don’t really think it was a tendency outside of Etta and Poison. And Steve was always military.