Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Agreed. I really don't want another Sensation anthology series. My preference is for an in continuity version, akin to Superman and Action.

I mean, she's one of the Big 3 and deserves to have her Wonder Woman and Sensation combo, every bit as much as Superman/Action and Batman/Detective. A ton of current Wonder Woman reader would probably buy two ongoing titles, so I don't know what their thinking is or data says about a second Wonder Woman cannibalizing other titles they deem more important that perform poorer than Wonder Woman. (But I'm not an expert or analyzer of the monthly sales data as part of my fandom.)
    Yes! I love the idea of Sensation, but it should be comparable to Action or Detective Comics.

And I still think they should go monthly, and put Rucka on Sensation since they already have Wilson on WW.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "The War Of Jokes And Riddles" wasn't really any sort of a "New" take on most of those villains. I'd also say that the story didn't really revolve around "Interesting Concepts".

It was simply a story that those characters fit into.

Since Wilson doesn't seem to be telling that sort of a story, I see no reason to include them just for the sake of doing so.

To me, "Story" is going to trump "Using/Updating Characters" every single time. I would much rather see a solid writer pen a solid story than a story that's just decent happen just for the sake of rogues updates or appearances. Never mind that some of them are old enough concepts that there is nothing wrong with just leaving them in the past.
    Interesting, that wasn't my take on the characters involved in The War of Jokes and Riddles.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I agree with you that "story" trumps just randomly including a character in it for it's own sake. I have a hard time seeing writers being able to completely separate the story from the characters they choose to have acting in it though. Some characters thrown in the background is one thing (like Zara or Blue Snowman or Anglette as an effect of Cale, recently in Wonder Woman), but the main protagonists and antagonists (and to the a certain degree the supporting characters) affect the actions in the story and in return the actions affect the characters.

So, I think we're in agreement, that a character shouldn't be updated just to be updated, but they need to meaningfully add to the story by virtue of who they are, usually literally and figuratively. My point is that a lot deep bench Wonder villains and concepts could be made meaningful based on their concepts when made contemporary. So, yeah, possible changes to their names and attitudes and modus operandi need to be switched up by the storytellers from their original incarnations. But I have a hard time seeing a lot of these character's attitudes or motivations as out of date, when we're still dealing with the same ish we've dealt with in the 40s, 50s, and 60s and beyond. They just need more depth than what they were allotted in their day and looked at through a modern lens.

(Not trying to be argumentative with you at all, because I think we agree on the broad strokes. I just get annoyed and protective and optimistic about Diana when so much effort and expertise gets put into a character like Batman's wild array and vast history of villains, but not not Diana's. Especially when I think she has as many interesting concepts to revamp and modernize.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Thinking about it some more, the other "surprise" for WW might have something to do with the new power she's supposed to display in JLD #3 in September. Maybe the October issue goes more in depth with it and it has a surprising origin or something.
    That's an interesting point I haven't considered. I'm not sure if I'm going to read Dark yet, but I'm curious as to this new power and if it'll carry over into the main title.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yes! I love the idea of Sensation, but it should be comparable to Action or Detective Comics.

And I still think they should go monthly, and put Rucka on Sensation since they already have Wilson on WW.
    That'd be amazing if they could work together on the broad strokes of the mission of each book and the Wonder characters and concepts they were each going to develop.

The Dying Detective asked me in another thread a couple of days ago about who I'd like to see tackle Wonder Woman and a second book. I'd love Rucka, but I'm at a loss as to who would be new to the character that I'd like to see develop her stories. I'm still thinking about that...regardless of the writer, I'd want Nicola Scott back on art though.

That'd be amazing if they could work together on the broad strokes of the mission of each book and the Wonder characters and concepts they were each going to develop.

The Dying Detective asked me in another thread a couple of days ago about who I'd like to see tackle Wonder Woman and a second book. I'd love Rucka, but I'm at a loss as to who would be new to the character that I'd like to see develop her stories. I'm still thinking about that...regardless of the writer, I'd want Nicola Scott back on art though.
    Well, obviously, Scott is amazing on Wondy.

I am actually very interested to see how Connor and Palmiotti do with Diana in the Walmart comics.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, obviously, Scott is amazing on Wondy.

I am actually very interested to see how Connor and Palmiotti do with Diana in the Walmart comics.
    True. I've definitely like some of their work. For non-Harley characters, I remember enjoying their Hawkman and Hawkgirl title once upon a time. They wove in a lot of villains and it had some fun action and adventure.

True. I've definitely like some of their work. For non-Harley characters, I remember enjoying their Hawkman and Hawkgirl title once upon a time. They wove in a lot of villains and it had some fun action and adventure.
    I know it was a bit divisive, but I quite liked their Starfire book (though a lot of that was Lupacchino on art.)

I wonder how interested Nicola Scott would be in doing both writing & art for a second WW book? Several artists have done it in the past, and Liam Sharp just had his WW/Batman team-up mini. I'd love to see what she would bring to the table in terms of story construction.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I wonder how interested Nicola Scott would be in doing both writing & art for a second WW book? Several artists have done it in the past, and Liam Sharp just had his WW/Batman team-up mini. I'd love to see what she would bring to the table in terms of story construction.
    Would be awesome, but it is very unlikely to happen before Black Magick ends its run. Has she ever writing anything before?
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I would trust her more than a LOT of writers. She clearly has a deep love and understanding for the character and was a part of the creative proccess of writing Year One, so.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I would trust her more than a LOT of writers. She clearly has a deep love and understanding for the character and was a part of the creative proccess of writing Year One, so.
    Much as I love Scott's art, and think Year One is one of the best Wonder Woman stories ever...I have a deep, deep distrust of most artists who turn to writing. There's one or two who have turned out to be really, really good, and most of them are really, really mediocre. If she decides to hone her craft on some smaller titles, and proves to have a gift for writing compelling stories and strong characters solo, then I'd be thrilled to see her write Diana.

This holds for Liam Sharp, too. I appreciate what he did with Rucka in Rebirth, but I find Brave and the Bold and his short stories he's done incredibly dull.

Interesting, that wasn't my take on the characters involved in The War of Jokes and Riddles.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I agree with you that "story" trumps just randomly including a character in it for it's own sake. I have a hard time seeing writers being able to completely separate the story from the characters they choose to have acting in it though. Some characters thrown in the background is one thing (like Zara or Blue Snowman or Anglette as an effect of Cale, recently in Wonder Woman), but the main protagonists and antagonists (and to the a certain degree the supporting characters) affect the actions in the story and in return the actions affect the characters.

So, I think we're in agreement, that a character shouldn't be updated just to be updated, but they need to meaningfully add to the story by virtue of who they are, usually literally and figuratively. My point is that a lot deep bench Wonder villains and concepts could be made meaningful based on their concepts when made contemporary. So, yeah, possible changes to their names and attitudes and modus operandi need to be switched up by the storytellers from their original incarnations. But I have a hard time seeing a lot of these character's attitudes or motivations as out of date, when we're still dealing with the same ish we've dealt with in the 40s, 50s, and 60s and beyond. They just need more depth than what they were allotted in their day and looked at through a modern lens.

(Not trying to be argumentative with you at all, because I think we agree on the broad strokes. I just get annoyed and protective and optimistic about Diana when so much effort and expertise gets put into a character like Batman's wild array and vast history of villains, but not not Diana's. Especially when I think she has as many interesting concepts to revamp and modernize.)
    It hasn't seemed that way at all.

I'd agree that we are roughly on the same page. That said, I just think that it seems like a decent-sized percentage of writers are going to lean towards telling "Wonder Woman" stories that focus on the "Mythology" aspect of her particular bigger picture.

I just don't see most of the "WWII"-era villains being something writers will really say "Using that character is what I was thinking about doing." Never mind putting any real effort into attempting a worthwhile renovation/update of those characters.

It's also worth mentioning that King is just a particularly capable "Effortlessly Fit The Big Picture In..." sort of a writer. The amount of stuff that he has(and, I would assume will) fit into the current "Mister Miracle" series in less than twelve issues is impressive.

Would love to see her not only revamp some of Diana’s villains but also some of her supporting cast. A character like Nubia has so much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Would love to see her not only revamp some of Diana’s villains but also some of her supporting cast. A character like Nubia has so much potential.
    I said this before when the rumors first came out, but I'm curious if she might do anything with the Wonder Girls.

I think she could probably do a great job revamping Cassie.