Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default So how many movie worthy characters are in the Spider-verse?

All this talk about Spidey leaving the MCU has me wondering, what other characters can Sony use? Who else, with some tweaks, might make a good movie?

Morbius is the one most brought up, but I think Puma could hold his own. Possibly Wraith, newest or the first and where do the Slingers fall? Except for Dusk (sorry, she's not a great visual), they might be able to carry their own movie. Nightwatch/Not-Spawn! might work too.

Steel Spider? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    All this talk about Spidey leaving the MCU has me wondering, what other characters can Sony use? Who else, with some tweaks, might make a good movie?

Morbius is the one most brought up, but I think Puma could hold his own. Possibly Wraith, newest or the first and where do the Slingers fall? Except for Dusk (sorry, she's not a great visual), they might be able to carry their own movie. Nightwatch/Not-Spawn! might work too.

Steel Spider? Thoughts?
    Too many cant hold their own movie frankly. Sony talks a big game but who honestly gives a **** about a Jackpot movie ?

You cant use too many of the Spider characters before it gets derivative.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Too many cant hold their own movie frankly. Sony talks a big game but who honestly gives a **** about a Jackpot movie ?

Eh, people said the same thing about Venom and that worked out. Honestly it's less the characters and which can or can't work, because I personally believe all characters can work as long as the movies are good. Any, literally any, character can hold their own movie, MCU is proof of that. The problem is, well, making good enough movies. After Venom and Spider-Verse I'm willing to give Sony some small portion of my limited optimism here. A minor benefit of the doubt, for now. Let's hope it's not enough rope for them to hang themselves with.

As for characters/movies: Spider-Verse sequels and spin-offs (Peni Parker solo movie!), more Venom, Morbius, those Black Cat and/or Silver Sable project/s. Personally I'd leave Miles and Spider-Gwen as animated characters after the success of Spider-Verse, but Sony could go for live action movies with them. Which, you know, is mostly what we already know they're doing, but hey depending on success that's 3 or 4 film franchises. For new ideas there's that Speedball or Screwball or whatever her name is I've seen a few times. Silk could work.

Plus you know, they have Spider-Man himself now to freely use without the MCU deal. So if nothing else, they for sure have Spider-Man, Spider-Verse, and probably Venom to keep them moderately successful as long as they don't screw it up. Honestly that's enough, and more than they had some years back. Fox did more with less, arguably.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post

I'm making conversation and I don't think a Nightwatch or Morbius movie would be seen as derivative

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm making conversation and I don't think a Nightwatch or Morbius movie would be seen as derivative
    When I say spider characters i mean alt-spiders

Most of the Spidey characters fall into the same category as Guardians of the Galaxy in my mind - they're movies nobody's asking for until a good filmmaker who knows the right thing to do with that character comes along and convinces people.

That said:
    - Black Cat could be a fun movie about a sexy thief
    - Slingers could be a great movie about a group of kids who come across powers in various ways who find each other and inspired by Spider-Man, decide to become a team.
    - Puma has a lot of backstory and a wealth of things to draw from - spanning his heritage to his world in high-finance and a protagonist who isn't necessarily the most heroic.
    - Spider-Women: Julia Carpenter and Madame Web could be an interesting film duo. Like Luke and Obi Wan, but with webs instead of light-sabers.
    - Superior Foes of Spider-Man could be adapted to be a "Suicide Squad" type film (but funny) with a bunch of loser villains.

Venom wasn’t, so that’s -1 so far.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Venom wasn’t, so that’s -1 so far.
    Well, it made money. I still think they should have gone with Flash, though

Prowler, Puma, Black Cat, Morbius, Silver Sable, Sinister Six.

Spider clones like Miles, Venom, Spider-Woman, etc. ... depends on how it is done.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Not a lot because Marvel has access to the big guns Spidey already interacts with. Discounting the Spider family and his villains, there are about 5-10 other allies on his Wikipedia page that could maybe hold your interest for a movie.

ex- Morbius, Wraith, Cardiac, Nightwatch, Solo, Rocket Racer. There are a few others like Frog-man (leapfrog's son who wants to go legit), Gibbon, RazorBack, Ethan Edwards(a pastiche of Superman) but those work as supporting players for someone else. Alpha and Steel Spider could also work but maybe your better off merging them with someone else (like Prodigy or Hornet of the Slingers?)

I feel you could reverse engineer a Doc Ock series out of his Superior Spiderman material. I thought John Jameson Jr could work based on his Captain Jupiter stuff but he feels better as an antagonist for Venom. Having Jackpot be an alternate universe MJ with powers of her own feels like the best play for that character.

Silk or Spider-Gwen could be a good Peter substitute in case Sony can't use him a lot (i don't know about after the deal).

EDIT-

I liked it and thought it was relevant.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-23-2019 at 07:19 PM.

I like Cardiac but yea your gonna be pushing it and reinventing alot of these characters to make them work. If it's just for a movie Sony could do a movie for a bunch of different spidermans Noir/Miles/2099 etc.. and then cross them all over for a Spider verse movie. Having Madam web be the Nick Fury/Coulson connective tissue.

Retired

I saw that Sony got about 900 characters when they bought the Spider-Man rights. I don't know who all these would be--probably many supporting characters--but there are no small parts only small actors.

Spider-Man Noir would be pretty cool for a movie. Spiderwoman could also work as a solo film since her origin doesn't involve Spider-Man in anyway.

I love Black Cat, but I have no interest in a solo film that doesn't have solid connections to Peter Parker. Venom was a mess that only made money because it had Tom Hardy and a bunch of action, not because it was actually good. BAYformers made money too, after all. (And now Hasbro is struggling to get their "shared universe" going.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Spider-Man Noir would be pretty cool for a movie. Spiderwoman could also work as a solo film since her origin doesn't involve Spider-Man in anyway.

I love Black Cat, but I have no interest in a solo film that doesn't have solid connections to Peter Parker. Venom was a mess that only made money because it had Tom Hardy and a bunch of action, not because it was actually good. BAYformers made money too, after all. (And now Hasbro is struggling to get their "shared universe" going.)
    I heard someone say they have the rights to the name Spider Woman but not Jessica Drew. No idea how true that it is. But it would be weird if they did Somethint Jessica has nothing to do with Spidey. They even joke about this in the New Avengers. I doubt marvels gonna use her So Sony could have a crack for all I care. Just dont know if they can do Jessica Drew. Maybe they can though I think my source was a random poster on here awhile back.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There have been so many characters called Spider Woman over the years they could do one without Jessica Drew pretty easy.

With that said I would love to see them go the comedy route and do something like the Superior Foes of Spider Man with a team of c listers. Maybe show a quick montage of Spidey beating them all up at the beginning of the movie, and then have the story be all about them. Use the comic cast of Shocker, Beetle II, Bommerang, Speed Demon, and Overdrive or if need be slip in a few other low tier baddies.