Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The outlaws would make a great movie. They were thunderbolts before the thunderbolts.

Robyn hood could be fun with the right writer.

Spider-man 2099 would make a great movie.

What about peter's sister Teresa?

Astonishing Member

Do we really need a Star Trek movie with the whole cast? NO. Using Sony's blueprint every single character should have their own movie. No need to waste the characters by having them all together.

Do we really need the whole cast of Fast and Furious to star together? NO. Hobbes and Shaw have proven that. Time to have more spin-offs from the Fast and Furious staff.

Why have one movie when you can easily have 4-7 movies of a franchise?

Astonishing Member

How movie-worthy would you say most of the MCU was before the MCU was a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    If your comparing Ironman and Black Panther to Cardiac and Silver Sable I'd say super worthy. Now I never read much Guardians or Eternals so chatacters like that might aswell be Cardiac or Silver Sable. Thought atleast Guardians gives you interesting looking characters and settings to build on. Silver Sable maybe not as much

Before seeing Guardians of the Galaxy if anyone told me there was going to be a film where 2 of the ensemble 5 were a gun-toting Racoon and a walking tree who only has 3 words in his vocabulary I (and most people I know) would have laughed as whoever said it.

A good enough film, with the right marketing, will pull in viewers. Sony, however, seems to be the king of executive meddling.

So, can it be done? Yes, and with the right people behind it they potentially have dozens of decent films.

Can Sony do it, or at least get out of the way to let someone pull it off? Doubtful.
    Dark does not mean deep.

At the end of the day barely any of the 900 without the word "Spider" in their title could headline their own book let alone a movie.

Retired

On TV and in movies, the writers are always ignoring what's in the source material and making up completely new stuff. The important thing for Sony Pictures is that they can hang the Spider-Man shingle out front, to lure people into a movie theatre for what otherwise is an original property that owes very little to Marvel Comics.

Look how the comic books would do the same thing, ripping off old works to introduce completely new concepts. Like with Killraven, a character piggy-backing on the popularity of H. G. Wells' THE WAR OF THE WORLD. Or Blade, an original character spun out of Marvel's version of Bram Stoker's DRACULA. Or Red Sonja, a conflated Marvel amalgamation of different characters created by Robert. E. Howard.

BANNED

Under Sony's leadership...exactly one.

Including Venom.

So this covers the antagonist problem. I'd dig deep in the supporting characters/antagonists Sony does have access to and have them go against someone other than Spidey.

Most of these characters have villians of their own but this method helps bulster the type of threats they will encounter.

To answer the movie-worthy question, i think it's as long they have desires of their own and things in their way (internal/external) you got a potential movie plot.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-02-2019 at 08:41 AM.

The problem with the villains is that Sony are fucking incompetent.

One of the standard responses thrown at the mcu (and the DCU does it as well) is that the villains are just dark mirrors of the heroes in their origin movies. We've had that in Venom but Morbius actually has a few different foes, some of them weird and interesting with some thought. So who is the villain in Morbius ? Why its an evil vampire, who's also a mutant in the comics but Disney has that so thats a no go.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Jessica Drew, or nothing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post

One of the standard responses thrown at the mcu (and the DCU does it as well) is that the villains are just dark mirrors of the heroes in their origin movies. We've had that in Venom but Morbius actually has a few different foes, some of them weird and interesting with some thought. So who is the villain in Morbius ? Why its an evil vampire, who's also a mutant in the comics but Disney has that so thats a no go.
    Eh, I think Venom could have been done better.

IMO, Venom is a throw back to the first comic book movies, like Ben A's DD, trying to stay too close to the source material for lack of better ideas.

Eddie might be the first Venom, but he barely has much inner conflict to speak of, and his motivation in comics is kinda lacking ("Spidey caught a killer, revealing me a fraud! Kill! But protect the innocent?). Flash would have been a much better choice, but Sony feared straying too far

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    All of it.

It just that you have to make sure you have the right folks in charge and an understanding of how many cooks can be in the kitchen.

Along with understanding WHAT you have.

Take Moon Girl & Devil Dino. I saw that book and thought to myself-WHEN not if we were going to get a movie or tv show. That is NOT counting merchandise.

Spiderverse is a PICK whatever idea you want and go with it.

You can toss them all in school like DC Super Hero Girls and have a hit.

If it was me I would go with this-

Peter, Miles, Eddie, Gwen & Peter Porker are my guys in theaters.

If I have a Hulu or Netflik deal-Silver Sable, Black Cat, Carnage, Miguel, Morbius and a few others are my movies on streams

Cardiac, Prowler, Kraven & Jessica Drew can be limited mini series.

Rocket Racer can be for kids. I could toyline the MESS out of him.

Same with Mary Jane. Model, actress, part time heroine and SPidey's wife. I could market the HECK out of that.

I might not make a billion off of this but under the RIGHT leadership you can do good enough to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    That was the biggest "miss" for the messy Venom plot, I felt. They spend a lot of the movie setting up the psuedo-science of the symbiote and its weaknesses so that it seemed naturally that the final conflict was going to be a three way fight between Eddie, Venom and Drake. Drake could've used science to fight Venom and separate it from Eddie. It would've been more dramatic if Drake was the one to reveal to Eddie that Venom was slowly eating him alive throwing a wrench between the two "buddies" in this strange mashup of monster matinee and buddy movie. To have Drake taken over by a bigger, badder symbiote just seemed to compromise a villain whose primary advantage was that he could outthink, outspend and ruthlessly outwit his opponents no matter how physically powerful they were.

As it was, there was hardly any direct conflict between Drake and Eddie from their first confrontation to their final fight. So the driving conflict - and objectives - of the story was always diffuse rather than sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, I think Venom could have been done better.

IMO, Venom is a throw back to the first comic book movies, like Ben A's DD, trying to stay too close to the source material for lack of better ideas.

Eddie might be the first Venom, but he barely has much inner conflict to speak of, and his motivation in comics is kinda lacking ("Spidey caught a killer, revealing me a fraud! Kill! But protect the innocent?). Flash would have been a much better choice, but Sony feared straying too far
    I think Agent Venom could have worked if you keep how the government got the symbiote vague. Joe Manganiello would have perfect for an adult Flash. Or just use Toxin because he's in a completely different state and disconnected from everything else so you can edit around what you need to touch upon.

I don't remember Agent Venom having any specific villains but maybe you could tie Jack O'lantern to Goblin Nation? have him be a rookie terrorist trying to work his way up the ranks?