Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Thing probably has the better top end feats of pure physicality.
    With this in mind then, what kind of match is Thing for Juggernaut?

He actually broke Cain's finger. Like snapped at 90 degrees by grabbing and twisting it, so it's not like he was totally invulnerable to Colossus.
    That's fair, but if Colossus didn't get help from Negasonic and Yukio (feat. Live-wire Enema), Cain was going to kill him. Also, compare Colossus getting his tooth knocked out, and Cain getting his finger broken so bad it was hanging at ninety-degree angle ... it took Colossus a second to get right, Cain just called him a Commie and proceeded to slap the **** out of him.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    IIRC they fought once during the period when Beyonder was walking around on earth making things weird.

It didn't last very long, took Juggernaut three punches of something like that to KO Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    IIRC they fought once during the period when Beyonder was walking around on earth making things weird.

It didn't last very long, took Juggernaut three punches of something like that to KO Thing.
    Considering what he does to people outside of Thing's tier ... that's a good feat for the Thing.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    That's fair, but if Colossus didn't get help from Negasonic and Yukio (feat. Live-wire Enema), Cain was going to kill him. Also, compare Colossus getting his tooth knocked out, and Cain getting his finger broken so bad it was hanging at ninety-degree angle ... it took Colossus a second to get right, Cain just called him a Commie and proceeded to slap the **** out of him.
    Oh yeah. Cain was going to murder him. He also dented his skull iirc.

Not much of one honestly. Cain, on a good day, should pretty well trounce the guy in short order. I honestly think the gap between Colossus/Thing and any true Class 100 is pretty huge.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

What everyone else said. Ben can't hurt Cain, and Cain can wreck Ben pretty fiercely.

The lousy Secret Wars II series, as noted, has as a shining moment what I would consider to be how a fight between Ben and the Juggernaut would go. Three hits, he was down.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ultimate Member

I don't know how the boards is treating current Thing's knockout of the Immortal Hulk.

It seems more like a plot induced level up. If it's accepted, then he'll likely take down Colossus.

But it just seems like a massive outlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I don't know how the boards is treating current Thing's knockout of the Immortal Hulk.

It seems more like a plot induced level up. If it's accepted, then he'll likely take down Colossus.

It's an outlier imo despite the awesomeness/cheesiness of it.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Definitely has the outlier feel to it, especially since at the time the Thing was...pretty wrecked.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    *sigh*

I mean... just....

*sigh*

... no.
    It was pretty cheesy. Fun to read, but cheesy.

To be fair, he legit seemed to dig deeper than ever before. His final punch that KO'd Hulk was thrown with such vigor that he literally destroyed his own arm. Like, all of his "stone" shattered and exploded off of it with only a fleshy paste remaining.

Up until that final hit, Hulk was thrashing the guy. Taking chunks out of his face with each strike. Thing's internal dialogue was "People are always asking who's stronger between us... let me tell ya... ITS THE HULK".

I still feel it comfortably falls into SMvFL, but it was nice to see the writers at least TRY to demonstrate "He's hitting Hulk REEEAAAALLY REALLY hard this time".
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Almost metatextually, I feel like the writers *and* Ben would all agree that it was an outlier. The comic itself through dialogue states that:
    1. This is the first time he's ever beaten the Hulk
    2. Thing seriously damaged his arm doing so, Ben calling it his best Sunday Punch ever.
    3. It was almost a fluke (Johnny chides him about it)
    4. The effort to do so, combined with the Hulk beating him badly for most of the fight, put him in a coma for a week.

In other words, not only was this Ben's absolute best showing for a Hulk fight, it's so best-est that he won't be repeating it any time soon. This could very well be Peak Ben and it goes downhill from here. Suppose Hulk had managed to block or brace himself for that punch? Ben would've been a goner for sure.

If this punch is ever used in Rumbles, I feel like it has to be with the caveat that the opponent stays perfectly still (i.e. one of those "What's the Strongest Punch Superman Can Take?" type threads).

(also, the fight lasted for over an hour, not a minute)

(p.p.s. I don't know much about the Puppet Master. When he loses control of someone, do they black out? The force of Thing's punch caused feedback that destroyed the Hulk puppet that, um, Puppet Master was using for the fight.)
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-26-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Almost metatextually, I feel like the writers *and* Ben would all agree that it was an outlier. The comic itself through dialogue states that:
    1. This is the first time he's ever beaten the Hulk
    2. Thing seriously damaged his arm doing so, Ben calling it his best Sunday Punch ever.
    3. It was almost a fluke (Johnny chides him about it)
    4. The effort to do so, combined with the Hulk beating him badly for most of the fight, put him in a coma for a week.

In other words, not only was this Ben's absolute best showing for a Hulk fight, it's so best-est that he won't be repeating it any time soon. This could very well be Peak Ben and it goes downhill from here. Suppose Hulk had managed to block or brace himself for that punch? Ben would've been a goner for sure.

If this punch is ever used in Rumbles, I feel like it has to be with the caveat that the opponent stays perfectly still (i.e. one of those "What's the Strongest Punch Superman Can Take?" type threads).

(also, the fight lasted for over an hour, not a minute)

(p.p.s. I don't know much about the Puppet Master. When he loses control of someone, do they black out? The force of Thing's punch caused feedback that destroyed the Hulk puppet that, um, Puppet Master was using for the fight.)
    I'm still going with the theory that Ben's punch broke Hulk free, and Hulk just took a dive as a belated wedding present.

Particularly because in his own book getting most of his brain blasted out the back of his head only reverts Devil Hulk to Savage, so a punch nthat should only cause a standard concussion shouldn't really phase him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I'm still going with the theory that Ben's punch broke Hulk free, and Hulk just took a dive as a belated wedding present.
    I really have no problem with this theory, frankly. Devil Hulk has a heart, too! (that Betty ate)

Particularly because in his own book getting most of his brain blasted out the back of his head only reverts Devil Hulk to Savage, so a punch nthat should only cause a standard concussion shouldn't really phase him.
    Come to think of it, the only time in this series that Hulk was truly KO'd through brute force was from orbital bombardment, IIRC. That's a far cry from a super-punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I really have no problem with this theory, frankly. Devil Hulk has a heart, too! (that Betty ate)

Come to think of it, the only time in this series that Hulk was truly KO'd through brute force was from orbital bombardment, IIRC. That's a far cry from a super-punch.
    That was UV radiation. It turned him back into Banner, then gave him the worst sunburn imaginable.

#19 Showed what you need to do to actually *kill* the Hulk. Acid that shutdown his healing factor, combined with massive structural damage to the body culminating up to ripping out the heart and eating it.

Not sure how long it took him to revive, couldn't have been more than a few minutes, as Rickbomination hadn't vomited on her yet, they seemed like they just begun to fight.

BANNED

I thought thing had better feats n durability guess not

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    I thought thing had better feats n durability guess not
    Probably. Maybe. Slightly.

Colossus comes across as having better footwork and agility due to all the Training Room stuff. It's pretty even either way.
    - big_adventure