BANNED

Default Everytime the timeline chages...

Well, beware, I'm not talking about the HOUSE OF X issues.

Everytime a time traveler comes back in time (Bishop, Cable) or even better when he changes the distant past (Legion), creating new timelines (like the Age of Apocalypse one), does it make sense that characters will be born anyway, no matter what?

This is the same problem with the X-Men movies. Wolverine changes the events of 1973, but when he comes back to the future (2023), Rogue, Bobby, Peter and Kitty still exist...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post

Everytime a time traveler comes back in time (Bishop, Cable) or even better when he changes the distant past (Legion), creating new timelines (like the Age of Apocalypse one), does it make sense that characters will be born anyway, no matter what?

This is the same problem with the X-Men movies. Wolverine changes the events of 1973, but when he comes back to the future (2023), Rogue, Bobby, Peter and Kitty still exist...
    Why not? Why they won't be born?

We don't know yet how her power works. She could be restarting the entire multiverse, creating different timelines ...

We really do not know.

Actually, you see this with what happened to Rachel. Rachel is not from the 616 universe, she is from the 811 universe. The whole reason she journeyed to the 616 universe is that there was something about her cronoskimming power that would not allow her to change her own past that drastically (protection against a paradox) and Rachel was shunted into the 616 universe where she was able to change the past.

I actually think Rachel is one of the few people who can alter the timeline of the 616 because she was not born in our universe. Of course she could accidentally cause her death, but on the other hand because she seems to have a link to the Phoenix that resurrects her when she dies, she might actually survive a paradox level change in the timeline.

When Rachel and Elizabeth were in the white hot room they both looked in the multi-versal mirror. Elizabeth saw her reflection showing every possible version of her in all the multiverse. Rachel on the other hand only say her self and the progression of her own life only and no connection to any other alternate Rachel's. Rachel was altered by the Phoenix and now she is unique in all the multiverse, hence why she is the Starchilde and I think she exists outside of the normal laws of time at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    We don't know yet how her power works. She could be restarting the entire multiverse, creating different timelines ...

We really do not know.
    OP literary said He's not talking about HoX.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    OP literary said He's not talking about HoX.
    Oh sorry

Then it depends on time travel. It's not the same when Magik does it, when Tempus does it, when Doom does it ...

Each trip has different rules in Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Oh sorry

Then it depends on time travel. It's not the same when Magik does it, when Tempus does it, when Doom does it ...

Each trip has different rules in Marvel.
    In a way Moira's power is warping reality backwards. When she dies, reality warps back to the moment of her birth and she gets another shot to change things. She is still mortal, and she doesn't have any other powers except her intelligence and training as a scientist. Hence why she always has to recruit others to her cause to make drastic changes in the timeline. This might be a silly comparison, but in "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection", Shamna's geass is that when she dies she can go back 6 hours. Her power is limited to a rubber band of 6 hours maximum. Lelouch and CC are able to defeat Shamna only by using CC's ability to see the timeline changes because of her general immunity to geass, using CC to help him strategize, Lelouch eventually calculates what Shamna's geass is and they are able to finally defeat her.

Moira's power is way more effective than Shamna's because Moira isn't limited to an amount of time, she is limited to her time of birth. She cannot change any even that happened before she was born, and each time she resets she has to grow up, go to school, etc... etc... to build up the money and influence she needs to make changes to events. She is still a normal mortal woman and her family seems to be upper middle class, so it's not like she is super wealthy that she can just go making drastic changes to the world, she needs help, and she needs allies.

I imagine Moira is probably getting pretty tired at this point, reliving 40+ years of her life over and over, 10 times, has probably taken it's toll. It may have even effected her sanity to some degree. It's very possible that Destiny's prediction is that Moira will take her own life before age 13 to prevent any more resurrections because she is tired of it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Why not? Why they won't be born?
    Because if you "make waves" in the past and do big changes, you're affecting the lives of many many many collateral people.

If two people make sex one hour before or later when they are supposed to do that, you get a different being.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Depends on what they change. Does their change prevent their own birth? Afre they traveling up and down one stream (a la Doomlock), or creating branches? See: Back to the Future, when Marty accidentally nearly prevents his own birth, and the plot becomes about him putting his parents together so he is eventually born. (Marty's timetravel is within one stream, or "Doomlocked.") (This is why they kept bringing it up in Avengers: Endgame - to get across that their time-traveling doesn't work like BttF.)

Wovlerine's actions in DOFP's 1973 evidently don't prevent the births of those mutants you listed, and it's also in one stream (Doomlocked).

Cable, Bishop, et al: We're not sure whether they're Doomlocked. We thought Legion was, RE: 'Age of Apocalypse', but Marvel later changed that.

BANNED

Because if you "make waves" in the past and do big changes, you're affecting the lives of many many many collateral people.

If two people make sex one hour before or later when they are supposed to do that, you get a different being.
    One's timetravel won't always change everything.

I did a whole video on it a year or two ago....go back to lets say 1900, save 5 lives and kill 1 person...no one desendent of the person you killed...but what about those lives you saved? There decendents can take jobs or girlfriends and wives boyfriends and husbands...changing the genepool
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    I did a whole video on it a year or two ago....go back to lets say 1900, save 5 lives and kill 1 person...no one desendent of the person you killed...but what about those lives you saved? There decendents can take jobs or girlfriends and wives boyfriends and husbands...changing the genepool
    Yeah. Bingo.

No it doesn't. If you watched the TV show Timeless, they did Time travel and the main character caused her sister to not be born. While not Time Travel, but if you read Star Trek: The Next Generation: Through The Mirror, where the enter the Mirror Universe, they talk about my brother has two boys and in your universe he has one daughter. I think it was that book, it was awhile that I read it. If you read the Sound of Thunder, the killing of a butterfly in the past causes changes in the future.

But, going back in time and causing Ice Man to not be born, results in a storyline where we must make sure Ice man becomes born. Such storylines might get boring after awhile. Probably easier to simply not change the timeline.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    When Rachel and Elizabeth were in the white hot room they both looked in the multi-versal mirror. Elizabeth saw her reflection showing every possible version of her in all the multiverse. Rachel on the other hand only say her self and the progression of her own life only and no connection to any other alternate Rachel's. Rachel was altered by the Phoenix and now she is unique in all the multiverse, hence why she is the Starchilde and I think she exists outside of the normal laws of time at this point.
    I've literally just read that a couple of days ago! First issue of UXM's House of M tie-in, written by Claremont.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    No it doesn't. If you watched the TV show Timeless, they did Time travel and the main character caused her sister to not be born. While not Time Travel, but if you read Star Trek: The Next Generation: Through The Mirror, where the enter the Mirror Universe, they talk about my brother has two boys and in your universe he has one daughter. I think it was that book, it was awhile that I read it. If you read the Sound of Thunder, the killing of a butterfly in the past causes changes in the future.

But, going back in time and causing Ice Man to not be born, results in a storyline where we must make sure Ice man becomes born. Such storylines might get boring after awhile. Probably easier to simply not change the timeline.
    Timeless season 1 started very good on cause and effect...it was hit or miss though
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.